Lt. Commander
# 1 Link your Enterprise-F Design
12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
It can be hard to get your design noticed, so why not link your design here?

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=667

The look may be familiar but the proportions are all new and it has a new feature. I figured this will be the last regularly featured Enterprise in the Prime Universe so it should feel a bit like a retrospective on everything that came before.... and I wanted to take some of the tech from TNG that people said was on the cusp of happening and give it a practical use, in this case the use of interphase cloak. However, instead of using it for stealth, it's being used here to reduce the mass of the ship and improve handling.

Once I got thinking about it, the phrase "ghost decks" stuck in my head to refer to the decks that disappear. (Also, that's one reason why you need two deflectors.)

It's a step towards the Enterprise-J "no separate hull" configuration and a shoutback to the NX while going back towards the idea of having a separate hull, something we were seeing less of in the late TNG era, by making the hull something that can "disappear".
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
It's an interesting concept.

IMO the phased version looks terribly flimsy, but then so did the NX, which you said you were trying to harken back to.

All in all, not bad.

Hm... If only we had an official setup for advice on designs. I'd love to get feedback on mine... But at the same time I worry about it being stolen. Based on the stupid gag pics showing up and the clear and total lack of moderation on the submission site, I fear it'd be all too likely.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It can be hard to get your design noticed, so why not link your design here?

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=667
Interesting. The profile shot looks a little squished though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Hm... If only we had an official setup for advice on designs. I'd love to get feedback on mine... But at the same time I worry about it being stolen. Based on the stupid gag pics showing up and the clear and total lack of moderation on the submission site, I fear it'd be all too likely.
Yeah I had the same thought.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll add mine here: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=640

Yes yes, made in Lego Digital Designer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you Leviathan, this is what I was complaining about in one of the other posts, that there is no place to put up and discuss designs. Thanks for starting this thread. First, I rather like your design. You bring up a point I hadn't considered though, the phase cloak. As the Federation is at war with the Klingons and the Romulans are a different government altogether (Empress vs. Praetor), is the Treat of Algeron still applicable? I mean, the Defiant refit can cloak, right? Agreed that the phased version does look a bit flimsy, however, Enterprise-J looks like you can snap the pylons off fairly easily so clearly that is the design trend.

Tiberion, I love the legos. Curious about the engines though, would like to have seen them in a bit more detail.

Here's mine (pardon the poor quality of the drawing):

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...Dennis%20Bosco

Some background: The second deflector in the saucer is for slipstream purposes as well as because I intend the saucer section to be warp capable (the two protrusions in the back of the saucer, similar to those on an excelsior, are deploy-able warp engines) I too was attempting to blend the hull a bit more and reduce the emphasis on the Stardrive, however I enlarged the main deflector after I read about the design of the Aventine and the importance of a big powerful deflector array for slipstream propulsion.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
That was one of my favorite designs, Callisto86. I wish you the best of luck on it.

I'd be thrilled if I could get a free lifetime out of it as I have some friends who'd only realistically play if they had a lifetime.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Since I don't care about this particular one, I'll link one I've personally rejected.

Provectus-class "Enterprise"

School of Excelsior design logic with several new twists added to it from my own personal taste. The triangular bits around the deflector are torpedo tubes.

Pardon the awful picture quality, I snapped with a webcam while the computer with the good scanner was occupied.

I rejected it on the grounds that it's clearly too outlandish to stand up against the more practical designs. People may like it, but it won't rack up the votes...
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto86 View Post
Thank you Leviathan, this is what I was complaining about in one of the other posts, that there is no place to put up and discuss designs. Thanks for starting this thread. First, I rather like your design. You bring up a point I hadn't considered though, the phase cloak. As the Federation is at war with the Klingons and the Romulans are a different government altogether (Empress vs. Praetor), is the Treat of Algeron still applicable? I mean, the Defiant refit can cloak, right? Agreed that the phased version does look a bit flimsy, however, Enterprise-J looks like you can snap the pylons off fairly easily so clearly that is the design trend.

Tiberion, I love the legos. Curious about the engines though, would like to have seen them in a bit more detail.

Here's mine (pardon the poor quality of the drawing):

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...Dennis%20Bosco

Some background: The second deflector in the saucer is for slipstream purposes as well as because I intend the saucer section to be warp capable (the two protrusions in the back of the saucer, similar to those on an excelsior, are deploy-able warp engines) I too was attempting to blend the hull a bit more and reduce the emphasis on the Stardrive, however I enlarged the main deflector after I read about the design of the Aventine and the importance of a big powerful deflector array for slipstream propulsion.

I like yours quite a bit, sort of hitting some of the ideas mine was going for., esp. the "spade" shape to the saucer (I wanted mind to be wider like the Galaxy though) - I really like the almost-Ambassador style engineering hull and the auxillary deflector array.

As for mine... the album below has the full sized screencaps I've grabbed so far. the Nacelles are supposed to be "sandwiches" like the galaxy, but are tapered, wide part forward, and with a "cowl" on the back side.

http://yfrog.com/ndendeavorbehind2jx

The limts of the lego pieces didn't allow it to be smooth, but thats the intend. I sort of wish I had scaled them a little bigger, but it would have been tricky.

If anyone is curious, the program I made it in is here: Lego Digital Designer - Its a small download and free, and really an awesome little program. I might possibly send the save-file if someone wanted to take a closer look. Just hit me up in a PM.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Mine is finally starting to look like a starship. I'm torn about posting it before I submit it because I don't want somebody swiping the image and submitting it on me, but at the same time feedback is always useful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
If any Devs are reading this thread, this is what we need in this contest: the ability to submit multiple images to fully describe our vessels. Tiberion thanks for the link, your ship is great. I couldn't make out the bussard collectors in the submission pic, but I see them well now and I'm a fan, I like the distinctive split. Also, is that a shuttle bay under the secondary hull?

As for the spade shaped saucer, all I could think was how do we get from the elogated oval like on the E to the widened oval-like shape of the J and drawing it back like that just seemed the best fit.

@LotD - I understand completely. I actually put mine up on facebook first. I have my profile limited to just friends. I know that's not fool proof but it made me feel a bit better and got my confidence up enough to post it. No pressure, but when you do submit it, be sure to let us know on here so we can vote for it.