Lt. Commander
# 71
12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
But it's Christmas for Cryptic. That $25 might just buy um.. presents for their kids or go towards a jacuzzi for their kitchen. :3
Oh, well, in that case, I'll just step right up and buy one then, shall I? Yes. NOT! :p lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
You guys are way out of hand here, and need to stop playing the victim...
I'm not playing the victim. I just said I thought it was too expensive and wouldn't be purchasing it. I do think all ships/items should be available in some fashion, in-game, and I stated that. But mostly I think $25 for any C-Store item (including the Gal-X) is too much. $10-15 is more than enough.

I wasn't that sold on the ship's performance and wasn't sure I'd even bother to use it anyway. I do think it's a COOL ship - I think the animations and appearance are damn pretty! I was gonna buy it just for that. But not for $25. Does that make me a victim? I don't think so. If anything Cryptic suffers since I'm voting by not giving them my money.

Quote:
...You all ASSUMED that they would do something the way you wanted, and now are calling them liars before you ASSUMED something. It MUST stop...
Actually, I don't think any assumption was made. The Dev's said this Nausicaan ship was one of the three ships (along with the Orion and Gorn) originally annouced to be a LTG KDF ship purchaseable via an in-game token. They even made a point to give the KDF Generals a special Accolade (Ship Requisitions / Achieve rank of Lt. General by 11/18/10) for an additional ship token so we could buy another ship when these three came out.

They played bait and switch, delayed the Nausicaan and instead gave us the B'rel. There was then no retraction made about the Nausicaan being taken out of the game and made C-Store Only, just that it'd been delayed.

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that shall come forth from the masses over Another Cryptic Marketing Blunder (tm)

Quote:
Equality for Klingons in all things, even the C-Store pricing. Right?
That made me laugh. True, I suppose. True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
...I've already started to push to get this ship added into the referral program, and we'll see what comes of that. For now however, this ship is the Galaxy X of the KDF...
Thanks Stormy. I'm not paying $25 and I can't get any more of my friends to play STO (I got a couple referrals, but not enough for even the GalX. Two of them don't play anymore and the third hasn't been on much this last month, I fear he'll stop playing soon too...). So while I appreciate the effort, it won't help...

Sigh

The MP unis are cool though... can't wait to buy them.

Edit: I looked around for a Dev Post listing the Nausicaan as one purchasable in-game as one of the new LTG ships, and while I found many "coming attractions" type posts, including some with pictures and/or ideas/hints at features, I couldn't find exactly that. I did however find this post from dstahl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
While at one time there was talk of the Nausicaan ship being one of the new LG ships (when I was skeptical about a BOP that could fire while cloaked), it was eventually replaced with the B'rel.

I believe this put the Nausicaan ship down to a Level 41 ship that is now coming out in December once they have time to finish all the crazy animations on that thing.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...87&postcount=6

So I guess he does confirm that there was talk of it being a LG ship (so I'm not crazy on that point), here he is saying the Gumby was replaced by the B'rel.
I missed this and apologize for my Bait and Switch/Non-Announcement comments above.
Lt. Commander
# 72
12-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
I honestly have to agree with this sentiment guys. I've already started to push to get this ship added into the referral program, and we'll see what comes of that. For now however, this ship is the Galaxy X of the KDF.

Additionally, I'll be moving this thread and the others regarding it to the C-Store and Promotions forum, where they should be located.

Thanks,

Stormshade
While I would much rather see the ship at the "normal" price range (1200CP) and attainable via in-game means like the other ships, if you DO manage to get it as part of the RAF program for the Klingon side, then I won't fume as much. I'll still vote with my wallet and not buy it, though...as much as I would like it, I don't need it THAT badly.
Lt. Commander
# 73
12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
If its going to be added "possibly" to the referal program does that mean anyone who has already "masterted" to recruit 5 people will get the item free??? If so then ill save my cryptic points
I don't know the answer to this. I only know that I'm talking to people to try and get it added to the referral program somehow. It's also not a guarantee that it will be added to the referral program. It's merely something I'm going to try to make happen at this point.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 74
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
I don't know the answer to this. I only know that I'm talking to people to try and get it added to the referral program somehow. It's also not a guarantee that it will be added to the referral program. It's merely something I'm going to try to make happen at this point.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Thanks storm
Lt. Commander
# 75 New stuff
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
If it has been out for less the 30 days it dose not going into any sales. That has been the rule for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 76
12-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
I honestly have to agree with this sentiment guys. I've already started to push to get this ship added into the referral program, and we'll see what comes of that. For now however, this ship is the Galaxy X of the KDF.

Additionally, I'll be moving this thread and the others regarding it to the C-Store and Promotions forum, where they should be located.

Thanks,

Stormshade
On that note, any chance the galaxy-X could get a bit of a boost in power so that it doesn't well, suck as a DPS ship when it has cannons equipped? Perhaps boost the turning rate significantly (the third engine may actually have a purpose?) so that cannons are viable, or perhaps allow the lance thing to be used every 30 seconds just like beam overload 3?

I mean by all accounts this new ship is actually useful, and it'd be kinda nice if the fed-side ship would become useful too.
Lt. Commander
# 77
12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Actually, I don't think any assumption was made. The Dev's said this Nausicaan ship was one of the three ships (along with the Orion and Gorn) originally annouced to be a LTG KDF ship purchaseable via an in-game token. They even made a point to give the KDF Generals a special Accolade (Ship Requisitions / Achieve rank of Lt. General by 11/18/10) for an additional ship token so we could buy another ship when these three came out.

They played bait and switch, delayed the Nausicaan and instead gave us the B'rel. There was then no retraction made about the Nausicaan being taken out of the game and made C-Store Only, just that it'd been delayed.
Hmm... Caitian hair has bee "Delayed" as well... I wonder if that will be going into the C-Store for $25 too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Thanks Stormy. I'm not paying $25 and I can't get any more of my friends to play STO (I got a couple referrals, but not enough for even the GalX. Two of them don't play anymore and the third hasn't been on much this last month, I fear he'll stop playing soon too...). So while I appreciate the effort, it won't help...

Sigh
I seriously wouldn't doom any of my friends to this type of marketing garbage. I'll let them stay in WoW where all they have to do is pay their monthly for any new minor content updates like this.
Lt. Commander
# 78
12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
I seriously wouldn't doom any of my friends to this type of marketing garbage. I'll let them stay in WoW where all they have to do is pay their monthly for any new minor content updates like this.

You have GOT to be KIDDING me.

(for those who can't decipher URLS and don't want to load them, its a link to the Blizzard "C-Store" where you can buy pets and 1 mount.. and to the Trade-able card game loot list, which has in game items as codes on cards, which sell for hundreds of dollars on Ebay, and do NOT have any way to be earned in game.)
Lt. Commander
# 79
12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Here is Jack's original statement concerning microtransactions (MT):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Bill and I have both posted over on the Champions boards to respond to questions raised by microtransactions. I'll just reiterate what's already been copied and pasted from Bill's State of the Game address on Champions:
  • The vast majority are aesthetic items, such as costume pieces, action figures, emblems, etc.
  • A very few are account-level management tools, such as being able to rename a character
  • Micro-transactions should never limit your ability to enjoy the game or reach the level cap
  • Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play

These principles apply also to Star Trek.

BTW, I haven't been too active on these boards over the past few months. In my role, I oversee development of both Champions and STO (as well as another mystery project); a lot of focus has been on Champions as it approaches launch. But as soon as it hits shelves (Sept. 1st), I'll be turning my "lidless eye" (gratuitous geek reference) to STO. I'm even moving my office downstairs to be with the team. Craig tells me that the STO crew met that with a lot of...excitement (or fear, not sure which). So you'll be seeing my bright shining face a tad more in the days to come.
Here is the C-Store description for both the ships:

First the X:

The Dreadnought Cruiser is unique. A refit of the Galaxy Class exploration cruiser first seen in "All Good Things," the Dreadnought Cruiser is equipped with a massive Spinal Phaser Lance and a cloaking device. It is the only Federation cruiser that can equip dual cannons. Note: You must be a Rear Admiral to purchase this ship.

Now the Destroyer:

A Nausicaan ship conscripted for use by the Klingon Defense Force, the Guramba embodies the Nausicaan ideals of strength and power. The Guramba Siege Destroyer has seven weapons slots (4 fore, 3 aft), seats for five bridge officers (Lieutenant Commander Tactical, Commander Tactical, Ensign Engineering, Lieutenant Engineering and Lieutenant Science) and space for eight console modifications (4 Tactical, 2 Engineering, read more 2 Science). It carries a crew of 300, and can enable Siege Mode, which transforms the ship into a battle configuration. Siege Mode diverts power from the engines for more powerful attacks. In addition, each use of energy weapons in Siege Mode steals power from enemy vessels to power the massive energy javelin that is the Guramba's most powerful weapon. When the javelin is fired, the ship will return to its normal configuration. Note: This ship may be purchased only by Klingon Empire captains that have attained the rank of Lieutenant General. Purchasing this ship from the C-store unlocks it for all Lieutenant General characters on an account.

Now I don't own either ship, but the items that I highlighted, seem to me, to fit in the category of Jack's third and forth bullets, which I highlighted. I'd say that, IF, it can be proved that these ships change gameplay at all, then gameplay has been affected and therefore the ships should be available through in game means. However, if not, then these ships would both fit in the category of the first bullet.

But you have to keep in mind that even if these items are game changing, they can be nerfed down to not be game changing, which in turns mean they stay in the store or through the RAF and store.
Lt. Commander
# 80
12-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraevac View Post
Now I don't own either ship, but the items that I highlighted, seem to me, to fit in the category of Jack's third and forth bullets, which I highlighted. I'd say that, IF, it can be proved that these ships change gameplay at all, then gameplay has been affected and therefore the ships should be available through in game means. However, if not, then these ships would both fit in the category of the first bullet.

But you have to keep in mind that even if these items are game changing, they can be nerfed down to not be game changing, which in turns mean they stay in the store or through the RAF and store.
Neither of these ships is significantly more powerful than any ship which can be earned in-game. In fact, most players have said that the Gal-X is actually weaker than many other ships in the game. While the consensus so far is that the Naussicaan Siege Ship is pretty cool, I have not heard anything about it being more powerful.

It remains that players do not need to purchase anything from the C-store in order to be able to play the game, and be very competitive at doing so.

Thanks,

Stormshade