Lt. Commander
# 31
12-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
You don't seem to really understand the problem here. It is not that this ship is in the C-store or really even the price. The problem is the failure to communicate that this was going to be a C-store only ship. It is what upset people about the Excelsior and prompted the comments made by Dstahl above. It should have been a no brainer to let everyone know that it was going to be C-store only once that decision had been made, not the date the ship released. Once again we are lead to believe one thing during the process then faced with a completely different reality after the fact.

As for comparing the Gal X and the Guramba, you clearly didn't test this ship. The two ships cannot be compared, even the way their "death rays" work is different.
Yea i own both ships and the guramba is a better ship over all turns better , i do 14k damage with the ray and more often than in the gal and ohh yea it don't miss like the gal X , also i take ships down faster and last alot longer in the destroyer so no u really cant compare the two the guramba is alot better.

As for the c-store only thing they are talking about it being a 5 person referral thing so we will see, and as far as not not tell you that it it would only be a c-store only they did say it would be in the c-store i have already posted that thread not going do it again cause ull just come back with the they didn't say ONLY. I just say ohhh well get over it . The real funny thing is this i see a whole lot of the ships in game right now so it must not make everyone mad like you are claiming. Lets face it what ma by 200 people post outa of how many that play this game ??? and outa of that what 30 are mad at this do the math.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
You know what - Merry Christmas... if you feel the need to argue so badly I'll come back later in the week.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matunus
Yea i own both ships and the guramba is a better ship over all turns better , i do 14k damage with the ray and more often than in the gal and ohh yea it don't miss like the gal X , also i take ships down faster and last alot longer in the destroyer so no u really cant compare the two the guramba is alot better.
Well, from the sound of what people say about it, the Gal X could use a little love. That, however, doesn't change any facts about the Destroyer.

And that 14k damage with the ray? You are most likely losing DPS from that, due to lost time firing plus possibly not running dual cannons 9or less of them) due to turn rate. And if you are running dual cannons are, then due to the turn rate + firing arc and/or transforming. Like the Gal X, the Destroyer needs a bit more work.

I've actually gone with non-disruptors on mine, not taking any points for the purpose of raising javelin damage. Like the ship itself, the Javelin's main use is to look cool. And it doesn't require points spent on it to do that.

When people ask me about it in game though, I do tell them my opinion of the ship, that it looks cool, but a Raptor is better. And even if they don't ask, my ship's name expresses some of my displeasure with Cryptic.

All that said, Cryptic deserves the flak they are getting over this. People were expecting this to be the upgrade for Raptors. They were expecting a 1200 point buy and in game emblem/token. Instead, they get 2k Cryptic points.

And that price, quite frankly, is enough reason for people to be upset. $25 for a single ship is a ripoff. Even if people like me are dumb enough to buy it, since I leveled a character just for it before I knew what it'd cost and I had some points sitting around, that doesn't change what it is. It definitely means I will buy less Cryptic stuff in the future. So something to keep in mind there...even amongst those who bought it there are those whose opinion of Cryptic has suffered due to this.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Well, from the sound of what people say about it, the Gal X could use a little love. That, however, doesn't change any facts about the Destroyer.

And that 14k damage with the ray? You are most likely losing DPS from that, due to lost time firing plus possibly not running dual cannons 9or less of them) due to turn rate. And if you are running dual cannons are, then due to the turn rate + firing arc and/or transforming. Like the Gal X, the Destroyer needs a bit more work.

I've actually gone with non-disruptors on mine, not taking any points for the purpose of raising javelin damage. Like the ship itself, the Javelin's main use is to look cool. And it doesn't require points spent on it to do that.

When people ask me about it in game though, I do tell them my opinion of the ship, that it looks cool, but a Raptor is better. And even if they don't ask, my ship's name expresses some of my displeasure with Cryptic.

All that said, Cryptic deserves the flak they are getting over this. People were expecting this to be the upgrade for Raptors. They were expecting a 1200 point buy and in game emblem/token. Instead, they get 2k Cryptic points.

And that price, quite frankly, is enough reason for people to be upset. $25 for a single ship is a ripoff. Even if people like me are dumb enough to buy it, since I leveled a character just for it before I knew what it'd cost and I had some points sitting around, that doesn't change what it is. It definitely means I will buy less Cryptic stuff in the future.
Maby it helps because i fly the gal-X but i don't have a problem with the delay, also i only use it on large targets like cruisers and again probably cause i fly the Gal-X, i run dual beams and only use the jav after shields are down and yea hit 14k with it. and the least i have hit was like 10k and it hits everytime witch with the gal-x it misses more than it hits.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, perhaps STO/Cryptic should also make it a referral bonus for a Guramba, similar to the Galaxy X...

I'm waiting to jump in to play Klingon, but this Guramba ship is turning me off, it looks like one of those ships from Babylon 5 ???
Is this Guramba ship even part of Star Trek hard canon?
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matunus
Maby it helps because i fly the gal-X but i don't have a problem with the delay, also i only use it on large targets like cruisers and again probably cause i fly the Gal-X, i run dual beams and only use the jav after shields are down and yea hit 14k with it. and the least i have hit was like 10k and it hits everytime witch with the gal-x it misses more than it hits.
Worth noting that the delay on the Gal X is about 1s to the Javelin's 3s.

If you were running DHCs and DCs instead of those dual beams, that damage + the damage loss while the 3s firing animation plays (it'll finish firing things, won't start new ones) and the complete damage loss during the post javelin leave siege mode transformation...you're doing less damage. The 14k doesn't make up for it.

Matter of fact, for me, each second I'm not firing costs me 5k base DPS from energy weapons, ignoring the reduction from lower power when firing and boost from various buffs that don't impact the Javelin. And the actual DPS loss is higher than that, due to DBBs over dual cannons.

It might be good compared to the Gal X, but that's like saying a kick in the shins is better than getting kicked in the balls. It is still better to not get kicked Although, in this case, it is a cool looking kick.

The Destroyer needs a few more tweaks still.

And even if they do that, $25 for a single ship. Nuts.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0qj View Post
Well, perhaps STO/Cryptic should also make it a referral bonus for a Guramba, similar to the Galaxy X...

I'm waiting to jump in to play Klingon, but this Guramba ship is turning me off, it looks like one of those ships from Babylon 5 ???
Is this Guramba ship even part of Star Trek hard canon?
The Garumba and the GX are totally different ships, the GX was a referral reward from when it was introduced and made CStore after the player base wanted to see more of it...many many people bought this ship and like me spent over a month trying to get it to work in pvp to no avail and it now sit's vacant in the ship yard. The Garumba as a referral was an after thought..and after release imho to appease the player base that were furious about it being CStore only.

This generates a catch 22 scenario with me...I had 6 players lined up to give STO a shot in the new year when their SWG subs ran out....each one has now laughed in my face and said no chance. All their descisions made on how the Garumba was released.

There are people out there (me included) who do not wish to pay a monthly subscription AND pay for in game end game content......to use and analogy: compare your ship to a set of armour in a fantasy based MMO. Would your pay nearly 2 months subscription for a new set of armour that had been dangled like a carrot for 3 months (and only to find you had to pay cash for it on the day of release)
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
And what if the decision was final say 24 hours before (and the fact DStahl's been out sick the last week.) Yes, the DEvs DO communicate a lot (and I think many of us do appreciate that), but:

1) That may not always be possible.

2) The Upper suits see that players want 'pairity' between the factions - so they think: "Hey, the Feds have a $25.00 ship in the C-Store with a similar weapon (Phaser Lance); so here's the KDF faction version.

3) The BEST way to make you voice heard is vote with your wallet and not purchase the item (or if you're so completely outraged, un-subscribe).

And I'm not saying that I want the game to fail because I posted #3 above; I really do like the game, and want it to succeed (as evidenced by the fact I have an LTS) - that said; #3 is usually the ONLY 'bottom line' communication that a customer can make that the upper suits pay any attention to. Raging on te forum does very little as I think (if you spoke to the memebers of the Dev team and Dstahl personally; they would AGREE that items like ships should be attainable by in game means as well; but in the end the final decision as to what item goes where, and hell, even the cost is not their decision - they can lobby for things, but in the end - marketing and the guys who control the books and the game budget have the final say.)
Pretty much this post FTW. Let's be honest now...if they had announced six weeks ago that the ship was going to set you back $25 USD, the resulting forum posts would have been exactly the same. If you're mad about the cost (and it is very high) say so. But don't pretend to "take the high road" while doing so. If you have an issue with something, be upfront about it.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Typical Cryptic marketing desaster. For me it again shows that the Atari marketing department is the diving force behind STO, DSTahl may have some choices, but in the end it comes down to the Marketing guys as we see again.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Typical Cryptic marketing desaster. For me it again shows that the Atari marketing department is the diving force behind STO, DSTahl may have some choices, but in the end it comes down to the Marketing guys as we see again.
QFT

as a side note... I tried this ship on tribble, didn't like it, wouldn't use it even if it were free.:p