Lt. Commander
# 221
12-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Here is my overly dramatic, sensationalist view on it:

There are different forces at work on Cryptic. There is a group that believes Cryptic needs to use the C-Store aggressively to earn a lot of extra money. And there is a more moderate group that believes that the C-Store is okay and fine, but there must be alternate ways to give the players some "treats" like new ships, in interest of fairness, in interest of balance, and maybe even in the interest of long-term viability of the game.

The latter group might have its strongest speaker in form of dstahl, he has the right mix of passion and importance in the STO team. But the weak the Gurumba siege destroyer gets published, dstahl is ill. He isn't in the final meetings, and the other group overrules whatever he or his side would say and the Gurumba becomes a C-Store exclusive.

Is this what really happened? I don't know. Reading between lines and C-Store price tags isn't an exact science, and I might be very off.
There can certainly be found arguments why the "Gumbo" is a a ship that required a lot more effort and development time and thus deserves a higher price that _needs_ to be payed by the customers to pay for the effort. And maybe that's all there is. For all I know, the decision predates dstahl illness and it was a fair compromise.

But this is the dark time of winter, and telling stories is what we do to get us through the long nights ...

Either way, I hope dstahl had a nice Christmas and recovered well already.
Lt. Commander
# 222
12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Here is my overly dramatic, sensationalist view on it:
Anyone else find it odd that Dan would get sick just before the release of this ship? Yeah, it was the bean counters who gave him the plague.

I have absolutely nothing against Danny-boy and the other devs as I fully support them and their drive to make the game better. It's the evil Marketing Division that I have a problem with.
Lt. Commander
# 223
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
i m not really surprised....

some reminders....

the STO C stores sells scheme have been various..., c store only, T3 in game but T5 C store only, 1 T5 for free then the others C store or for a stupid amount of emblems etc... there s no consistency... it looks like there are still working on how to maximize their sells or change them to fit their own need.

Very early in the game, Mr Stahl basically told us it was a decision of the C store team to put this item in the c store for this price...but he wiil do his best to make it better for players...so kind of him.... it turned out the C store team does not exist...

Now i wonder who decides to make this item in the C store for extra cash or in game included in the price of our subscriptions.. once again shall i remind you that this last ship was made at the detriment of other things which could have been made for the price of our subscriptions (Technically speaking we ve already paid for it...some people call it double dipping) So my guess is... the head of the project...don t get me wrong he stated he has sales objectives so he might have too...but ultimately it s his call.

Finally I believe stormy several time closed threads stating basically we have to get over it and not living in what STO was suppose to be and which promises were made at the time but to look forward...explaining MMOs are continually changing...fair enough

now from my point of view...if this was a f2p game, i would not care less if they put the doomsday machine in the C store... but as a monthly subscriber i expect more than weekly episodes and a foundry(Beta) to compensate a lack of content and limited end games options...but i ve got the feeling the real issues are very deep to dig in and more about how the game was designed and rushed out. Yes you can make a game in less than 2 years like Cryptic was proud to remind us... just not a good one.
Now we are paying for the development time necessary to make it better...

you wanted a Star trek game ASAP...well you ve got it...now it s time to pay for it.
Lt. Commander
# 224
12-28-2010, 05:06 PM
So dstalh saying that the naussican ship is to be a free level 41 ship is just overruled and this is now how it is?
Lt. Commander
# 225
12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
This is all totally worrying for the future of STO, i wont be canceling or anything but ill be having to think soon wether or not to include it in my usual rotation of MMOs

I play a crap-ton of MMOs in all forms, monthly scrip, f2p/cash shop etc, usually about 4-5 on rotation.

Very few monthly few games have any sort of cash shop, of those that do its pretty much pure cosmetic, with stats the same or lower than availible ingame equiv ways of obtaining.

But STO has endgame level gear in both shortcut and cash only styles of microstrans? crazy

Thats like any other MMO equiv of endgame equip/ship/armour, able to be gotten in shortcut fashion from a cash store ? totally unthinkable in other MMOs - cash shop only versions of this ? wtf comparison

I would be such much happier with either an increased subscription, some sort of premium account mode or just a crap ton of purely cosmetic fun in the C-store, all would be preferable to its current state/offerings

It really makes me wonder when/if we will actually see new standard/free content for the game, new ships/uniforms/races that arent either C-store only or C-store shortcut ( even with insane emblem grind cost )
Lt. Commander
# 226
12-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatici
i m not really surprised....

some reminders....

the STO C stores sells scheme have been various..., c store only, T3 in game but T5 C store only, 1 T5 for free then the others C store or for a stupid amount of emblems etc... there s no consistency... it looks like there are still working on how to maximize their sells or change them to fit their own need.

Very early in the game, Mr Stahl basically told us it was a decision of the C store team to put this item in the c store for this price...but he wiil do his best to make it better for players...so kind of him.... it turned out the C store team does not exist...

Now i wonder who decides to make this item in the C store for extra cash or in game included in the price of our subscriptions.. once again shall i remind you that this last ship was made at the detriment of other things which could have been made for the price of our subscriptions (Technically speaking we ve already paid for it...some people call it double dipping) So my guess is... the head of the project...don t get me wrong he stated he has sales objectives so he might have too...but ultimately it s his call.

Finally I believe stormy several time closed threads stating basically we have to get over it and not living in what STO was suppose to be and which promises were made at the time but to look forward...explaining MMOs are continually changing...fair enough

now from my point of view...if this was a f2p game, i would not care less if they put the doomsday machine in the C store... but as a monthly subscriber i expect more than weekly episodes and a foundry(Beta) to compensate a lack of content and limited end games options...but i ve got the feeling the real issues are very deep to dig in and more about how the game was designed and rushed out. Yes you can make a game in less than 2 years like Cryptic was proud to remind us... just not a good one.
Now we are paying for the development time necessary to make it better...

you wanted a Star trek game ASAP...well you ve got it...now it s time to pay for it.
See, that is a large part of my problem with the CStore. The buggers keep trying to slide stuff past to see what they can get away with to shove that wedge in a bit further and get all affronted when we question their ethics.

Don't want your ethics, morals, or values questioned? Then, stop trying to pull crap to see what you can get away with.
Lt. Commander
# 227
12-29-2010, 02:17 AM
There is another thing that personally bugs me about the Guramba which i have waited months to get for my Nausicaan character. While it isn't in the referal program for now some ppl try to tell us over and over it is the Gal-X KDF mirror and that makes the price acceptable.

BUT the problem i have with this is .. the Guramba is the only Nausicaan ship ingame, if you don't buy it you don't have the chance to get any other ship that really fits to the Nausicaan species. If you don't buy the Gal-X you have enough choices of ships that really fits a starfleet captain of any race in the high-level .. very iconic ships like the Galaxy & Sovereign. I think that's, beside the price, is the thing that bugs me most. If they would put any Bird of Pray for 2000cp into the c-store it wouldn't be the same, there are still BoP ingame you can get and that fits your Klingon captain very well.

I hope it is clear to understand what i want to tell. If Cryptic gives us another Nausicaan ship for free on level 41, that maybe is more of a costume than with new mechanics i'm fine with it.
Lt. Commander
# 228
12-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledicus
I hope it is clear to understand what i want to tell. If Cryptic gives us another Nausicaan ship for free on level 41, that maybe is more of a costume than with new mechanics i'm fine with it.
Word. And 10char.