Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 91
01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
But ultimately - why? Why is that something so many people say?

You're playing the game, right? Do you really think your friends have higher standards then you?
HOw much bad would really happen if they didn't like it? Have you never gone to watch a movie or to a restaurant with your friends based on their suggestion (or yours) and the others or you didn't like it, and break up over it or something?

Or is it more that MMOs are addictive like crack, and you should never recommend a friend that, no matter how addicted you are?
I ponied up for the lifetime sub. I'd say that's why I still play, but I haven't played the game in a couple of weeks. I bought the lts during beta, so it cost about 16 months worth, so I'm about 8 months shy of getting my money's worth out of it. Perhaps I'll get that, some day, or perhaps not; but It doesn't change the fact that I've gotten bored and soured with the game. I still have a little hope, though, that something will come along that will interest me enough to start playing again.

As far as "how much bad would really happen if they didn't like it." If I encouraged them to not only buy the game but then pay for a sub, and they found the game dull or distasteful, then I would feel bad for pushing them to spend that money. As far as going to a movie or restaurant with a friend and not liking it, if my friend intentionally dragged me to a movie or restaurant they KNEW was rubbish AND I had to pay for it, I would be very upset with them. So knowing that I feel that the game is sub-par to other games that they already play, I would not feel good about myself if I dragged them away from it and made them spend money to play it.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
stuff
Pretty much my sentiments as well.

I had a little burst of playing before the Guramba BS - trying to give the game another shot, trying to level a KDF character. I'm easily amused enough that the still-thoroughly-'meh' state of the KDF side, with the smattering of actual improvements in season three (they finally figured out how to point to destructible objectives ) was enough of a diversion for 'free' while waiting for the various holiday sales to hit the price tags on games I actually wanted, but if I didn't have a life sentence to the game I'd have unsubbed in disgusted disappointment... ehh, around the Excelsior-5 brouhaha at the latest. That's the point at which any goodwill and patience I had left toward the game was flushed down the toilet by the C-store - which I had been a vocal supporter and patron of while it was still following the promised policy.

Before that, I had a string of attempts to get people interested in STO that all crashed and burned, which made me realize just how low I had adjusted the bar of my expectations over the course of beta (and STO still manages to limbo under them, sometimes in new and interesting ways). That's the main reason I say I can't recommend STO to my friends, because I really can't, as all attempts have ended in mocking failure.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
I ponied up for the lifetime sub. I'd say that's why I still play, but I haven't played the game in a couple of weeks. I bought the lts during beta, so it cost about 16 months worth, so I'm about 8 months shy of getting my money's worth out of it. Perhaps I'll get that, some day, or perhaps not; but It doesn't change the fact that I've gotten bored and soured with the game. I still have a little hope, though, that something will come along that will interest me enough to start playing again.

As far as "how much bad would really happen if they didn't like it." If I encouraged them to not only buy the game but then pay for a sub, and they found the game dull or distasteful, then I would feel bad for pushing them to spend that money. As far as going to a movie or restaurant with a friend and not liking it, if my friend intentionally dragged me to a movie or restaurant they KNEW was rubbish AND I had to pay for it, I would be very upset with them. So knowing that I feel that the game is sub-par to other games that they already play, I would not feel good about myself if I dragged them away from it and made them spend money to play it.
I am in the same position.

Cryptic Studios:
If you have enjoyed the experience of this game, why not share it with your friends?

Subscriber:
Because I want to keep them! Will you try and comprehend what Im telling you?

paraphrasing Douglas Adams and it is just as applicable.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Wow, you guys should start some kind of support group or something. Maybe call it People Who Spent To Much Money On A Game They Didn't Like Hoping It Would Get Better Even Though There Was No Reason To Believe That So Please Feel Sorry For Me....Anonymous.

I'm gonna take a few days off from the forums I think. You guys are depressing.
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Wow, you guys should start some kind of support group or something. Maybe call it People Who Spent To Much Money On A Game They Didn't Like Hoping It Would Get Better Even Though There Was No Reason To Believe That So Please Feel Sorry For Me....Anonymous.

I'm gonna take a few days off from the forums I think. You guys are depressing.
Good to hear.
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
After all the statements we got about making items obtainable in game, here they are once more blatantly lying. Of course that is to be expected because now that STO is doing a bit better they seem to have a newfound confidence in stirring new sh***storms.

I suppose having the Galaxy X excuse, makes it alright, because in their selectively righteous minds the KDF also needed a 2000 point waste of space. Ever heard that two wrongs never make one right? Oh thats right I forgot, we are way past two.....
Lt. Commander
# 97
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
After all the statements we got about making items obtainable in game, here they are once more blatantly lying. Of course that is to be expected because now that STO is doing a bit better they seem to have a newfound confidence in stirring new sh***storms.
I think that this is really a classic case of the left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing. The devs have pointed out (particularly Dan and Stormy) that they wish for more of these things to be obtainable in-game. The pencil-pushers in marketing and above are most likely calling the shots and overruling what the content teams think is best for the game. Unfortunately, the bean-counters don't know (or don't care) about the game and only see new ways of mooching more money off of us. I do appreciate Stormshade trying to get the new ship attainable by other means (even if it is the poorly instituted RAF), but a number of us think that it's too little, too late. And the C-Store continues to push people away. If it continues unchecked like this, my prediction is that the only ones left in a few months are the lifers and the few die-hard Cryptic or Star Trek fans.
Lt. Commander
# 98
01-07-2011, 01:02 PM
An update to this from this month's Ask Cryptic:

Quote:
Q: bkzland: Will there be an option to buy the Guramba for an ingame currency, like the Nebula was available for Marks of Exploration?

A: As Stormshade has mentioned, weve been working on getting this added to the referral program as a Klingon alternative to the Galaxy-X. However, after listening to your feedback, and talking to the team, weve decided to shoot for making the Guramba available in-game via emblem purchase instead. Keep an eye on the threads in the C-Store and Promotions forum for more updates on this.
Thought I would share the good news. Remember, we're still not set it stone, but that's pretty close to it.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 99
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

Thought I would share the good news. Remember, we're still not set it stone, but that's pretty close to it.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Stormy, You (and the whole Dev Team, really) Rock!
Lt. Commander
# 100
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

Thanks,

Stormshade
Now that is truly awesome. Nice work!