Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
12-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
Let me put it simple and striaght for thoes of you that are too blinded by your ranting:

Cryptic makes money off the C-Store... This money is used to pay the artisted for overtime and side projects such as this ship and future/past bonus items. All of the purchases we have made previous to this ship funded the creation for it.

If you support the game then you will pay whats on the pricetag or you dont. This is not like the montly sub fee is being raised to $25. C-Items are not required to play the game. All game quests and locations are/will be accessable to every subscriber reguardless of what they buy from the C-Store.

It's apparent that the dev's have worked hard on this ship to present to you for the holidays. If they make it a RAF ship then they ought to take it off the C-Store altogether. I got the Galaxy-X the real way and it really hacked me off when they put it on the C-Store. Cryptic isnt "greedy," you all are "greedy" about "shelling" out money that supports the game. You're very fortunate to get new ships at all.

Dude 25 dollars or anything over 5 bucks in this game isent worth it at this time u can get the game for 2.50$ on amazone ,regardless on how much you wanna support cryptic the fact is they are a nickle and dime penny pushing company with a minimal dev team having the game in minimal support mode while they work on their other project, i bet they got no more then 5 or 6 or even less.. ppl working on this alone and thats it , rest are ppl they move from project to project.

Cryptic provides what they said they would: New Episodes, New Seasonal Updates, Tweaking the Klinks, A Player Content Creation Tool (Foundry), And there will be another playable race in the future. They have provided all of this so far. The extra uniforms and ships on the C-Store are the same as buying a Collector's Edition (which is not necessary to play), or a LTS (to get the perks). Its just another way for some people to get toys they want.

The only apauling thing about this topic is the origional rant, who's author appears to have been banned from the forums (ROFL), and the unappreciatlve attitudes of some of the posters here who believe they are entitled or owed certain amminities.

Lastly and most importantly... You get what you pay for. Cryptic like any game company is a business and money dosent grow on trees for them either. Cryptic is not huge like Blizzard, so they cant affored to put out expansion after expansion and loads of content off of the millions of subs they have to fuel their expenses. I would have thought that such an enlightened community would have realized this and encouraged more ways to support their game while getting rewards in return (C-Store).

Cryptic is to small to try and run 3-5 mmo games they only reskinning their current engine and spewing out crap games hoping they get like 10-20k subs so having 5 would mean 100k subs wich would be an healty income for them , but with crappy support and crappy games etc...

I'd personally like to thank the Cryptic Dev Team for working during the holliday season to still put out content for us and this ship for the holidays. They made a ship to mirror the Fed's Galaxy-X so you all should be appreciating it. It seems there are alot of Bah-Humbugs in this game.
To many eggs in one basket thats all i gotta say...
Lt. Commander
# 42
12-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
To many eggs in one basket thats all i gotta say...
You have a valid point... The point I'm trying to make is that ranting about how expensive something is, as if it were a requirement for gameplay, is stupid. No one is forcing them to pay for the extra C-Store stuff. And rather then be negative and mean about a business trying to be a business, I feel some constructive points needed to be made. People talk and whine about leaving and threaten to leave if they dont get this or that, yet they're still here, still crying about prices and the C-Store, and 3 months from now they will still be here if they arent banned by then. They need a flame forum for like minded people to go and whine at each other about the game so no one else has to hear it. I should be able to read this forum section about new C-Stuff and construtive feedback without having someone crying about Cryptic ****ing on their party. There seriously needs to be a complain forum section where people can go and complain about dumb stuff while the rest of us give feedback about realistic and current/future topics. One thread about a ship costing too much is enough, we dont need 5 seperate threads about the ship. A mod should delete all but one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
The point I'm trying to make is that ranting about how expensive something is, as if it were a requirement for gameplay, is stupid.
Sure its not needed to play the game .. geez! nothing is needed to play the game, Cryptic can put ALL features into the c-store and leave the standard subscriber with one single standard uniform and one ship for every tier, it's not needed to play any other race on the FED side then human, it's not needed to play any other species on KDF side than Klingons. You see the issue with this?! Your argument will win everytime BUT there has to be a balance between the subscription, the c-store and the prices. And i'm sure for a subsrciption based game most ppl think $25 are far too expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-26-2010, 06:38 AM
imho, it's just a matter of choise for any company: do we wanna sell a few items at a high price, or a lot at a low price. So Cryptic has chosen to sell very few at the highest price possible.

But since it's all just about pixels, it's not smart to go that way. It's not like they actually have to use resources and time to build a ship for every customer. Once the code is written and finetuned, every sale is just extra profit (even promotion weekends provide a big profit cause they sell more and it costs nothing to produce more 'goods').

And the argument about time and people needed to make these extra's is not valid, imo. The devs that worked on this ship could have been working on NPC ships for a future new enemy. Testing and implementing it into the game is done by the same people that do that for every other updates. Or is the C-store team a completely different entity that just magicly can put any kind of content into the game and make it work flawless?
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuXi
iThe devs that worked on this ship could have been working on NPC ships for a future new enemy. Testing and implementing it into the game is done by the same people that do that for every other updates.
Nice to see somebody understanding this...
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuXi
imho, it's just a matter of choise for any company: do we wanna sell a few items at a high price, or a lot at a low price. So Cryptic has chosen to sell very few at the highest price possible.

But since it's all just about pixels, it's not smart to go that way. It's not like they actually have to use resources and time to build a ship for every customer. Once the code is written and finetuned, every sale is just extra profit (even promotion weekends provide a big profit cause they sell more and it costs nothing to produce more 'goods').

And the argument about time and people needed to make these extra's is not valid, imo. The devs that worked on this ship could have been working on NPC ships for a future new enemy. Testing and implementing it into the game is done by the same people that do that for every other updates. Or is the C-store team a completely different entity that just magicly can put any kind of content into the game and make it work flawless?
This isn't exactly a Beluga and Cristal game though quality-wise, this started as a Cheetos and Old Milwaukee though it has improved quite a lot. Charging premium prices on a sub-standard product makes little sense until the game is up to a standard that they can get away with it without people screaming at them
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Nice to see somebody understanding this...
I'm still wondering where that new bridge officer layout method they said they would be applying to all T5 ships when they released the Excelsior went to. You know, that one ship that does the assault cruiser's job better than the assault cruiser and yet is somehow still C-Store only?

Did they change their mind so they could reserve the slightly better layouts as bait for C-Store ships I wonder? Or perhaps the less conspiracy theory...theory...it just got put on the back burner like so many other things with a dev team that can't seem to focus on any one thing very long?

I swear reading engineering reports is like a grab-bag of an item list. Seems like hardly anything but C-Store items makes it from month to month.
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
Let me put it simple and striaght for thoes of you that are too blinded by your ranting:

Cryptic makes money off the C-Store... This money is used to pay the artisted for overtime and side projects such as this ship and future/past bonus items. All of the purchases we have made previous to this ship funded the creation for it.

If you support the game then you will pay whats on the pricetag or you dont. This is not like the montly sub fee is being raised to $25. C-Items are not required to play the game. All game quests and locations are/will be accessable to every subscriber reguardless of what they buy from the C-Store.

It's apparent that the dev's have worked hard on this ship to present to you for the holidays. If they make it a RAF ship then they ought to take it off the C-Store altogether. I got the Galaxy-X the real way and it really hacked me off when they put it on the C-Store. Cryptic isnt "greedy," you all are "greedy" about "shelling" out money that supports the game. You're very fortunate to get new ships at all.

Cryptic provides what they said they would: New Episodes, New Seasonal Updates, Tweaking the Klinks, A Player Content Creation Tool (Foundry), And there will be another playable race in the future. They have provided all of this so far. The extra uniforms and ships on the C-Store are the same as buying a Collector's Edition (which is not necessary to play), or a LTS (to get the perks). Its just another way for some people to get toys they want.

The only apauling thing about this topic is the origional rant, who's author appears to have been banned from the forums (ROFL), and the unappreciatlve attitudes of some of the posters here who believe they are entitled or owed certain amminities.

Lastly and most importantly... You get what you pay for. Cryptic like any game company is a business and money dosent grow on trees for them either. Cryptic is not huge like Blizzard, so they cant affored to put out expansion after expansion and loads of content off of the millions of subs they have to fuel their expenses. I would have thought that such an enlightened community would have realized this and encouraged more ways to support their game while getting rewards in return (C-Store).

I'd personally like to thank the Cryptic Dev Team for working during the holliday season to still put out content for us and this ship for the holidays. They made a ship to mirror the Fed's Galaxy-X so you all should be appreciating it. It seems there are alot of Bah-Humbugs in this game.
Well said, I can't tell you how much I agree with you're post 4ID !!!!

I laughed when I started reading through this thread because there is no one forcing anyone to buy this ship, it is pure "eye candy" plain and simple and just another way for a ship to do damage.

It seems the Klinks want everything the feds have but not at the same price....well you got it just like the feds got the Gal-X but I think this ship is the better of the two to be honest.

And as long as I am seeing quotes in this thread heres one for you:

"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ID
You have a valid point... The point I'm trying to make is that ranting about how expensive something is, as if it were a requirement for gameplay, is stupid. No one is forcing them to pay for the extra C-Store stuff. And rather then be negative and mean about a business trying to be a business, I feel some constructive points needed to be made. People talk and whine about leaving and threaten to leave if they dont get this or that, yet they're still here, still crying about prices and the C-Store, and 3 months from now they will still be here if they arent banned by then. They need a flame forum for like minded people to go and whine at each other about the game so no one else has to hear it. I should be able to read this forum section about new C-Stuff and construtive feedback without having someone crying about Cryptic ****ing on their party. There seriously needs to be a complain forum section where people can go and complain about dumb stuff while the rest of us give feedback about realistic and current/future topics. One thread about a ship costing too much is enough, we dont need 5 seperate threads about the ship. A mod should delete all but one of them.
I have purchased damned near everything in the CStore to support the game but I have drawn the line at broken promises and outrite scams/lies. I will not intentionally purchase any item that is CStore ONLY though I have purchased all ships that are also available ingame. I will not purchase per-character items becuase the argument about "storage" is disingenuous, this is a database and it wouldn't make that much of a difference since the ships don't have their own holds, even if they did, it wouldn't make that much of a difference in storage.

My point is, and always has been, that we should be dealt with honestly. Instead, we get double-dealing, and bait and switch. These are the only constant in my dealings with Cryptic and STO.

If Cryptic wants to earn/keep trust by the subscriber base, they need to say one thing and stick with it, not change when it is convenient, or when they think we have forgotten. As subscribers, it is our responsibility to keep track of what is going on as part of caveat emptor. If you don't, or if you blindly support Cryptic in all things, than you deserve what happens and believe me your tune will change eventually, I have seen it too many times in the past year.
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
I have purchased damned near everything in the CStore to support the game but I have drawn the line at broken promises and outrite scams/lies. I will not intentionally purchase any item that is CStore ONLY though I have purchased all ships that are also available ingame. I will not purchase per-character items becuase the argument about "storage" is disingenuous, this is a database and it wouldn't make that much of a difference since the ships don't have their own holds, even if they did, it wouldn't make that much of a difference in storage.

My point is, and always has been, that we should be dealt with honestly. Instead, we get double-dealing, and bait and switch. These are the only constant in my dealings with Cryptic and STO.

If Cryptic wants to earn/keep trust by the subscriber base, they need to say one thing and stick with it, not change when it is convenient, or when they think we have forgotten. As subscribers, it is our responsibility to keep track of what is going on as part of caveat emptor. If you don't, or if you blindly support Cryptic in all things, than you deserve what happens and believe me your tune will change eventually, I have seen it too many times in the past year.

You know I used to be like you... I was against Cryptic when they released the Galaxy-X, the one ship I actually really wanted and worked hard to get, and now people can buy it for $25. It was sad to see ESD with 100 X's flying around it. I felt cheated and lied too. I'm over that, and I will tell you I wont take part in any promotional items they try in the future. That ship should be worth $50 or more, and personally I think people should pay $100 for the X, cause that might make me feel a little less cheated if people really have to "shell out" the cash for it.

They make ships and items per request of the player base. We wanted the Excelsior and the Nebula and we got it. We want more and we'll get it also, especially with Dan Stahl at the helm. The dev team and Mr. Stahl work overtime, if they even get paid for overtime, to bring us things like this ship, and many other features. If you ever listen to the podcast/youtube/radio interviews of Stahl, you will know that he is ususally the last one to leave the office. The office is basically his house cause he is that dedicated to STO, and so are the rest of the devs. Every hateful thing people say about them is a spit in the face for all the hard work they have done.

Dont forget Atari forced them to release STO at least a year early for the aniversiary of ST along with the JJ Abrams film. That's why the game was/is in the state it it was/is, and Cryptic is taking the fall for it. No one EVER mentions Atari, the ones that are the corporate bean counters. I bet you that they and CBS have a large say in what prices are to be set for items, because unlike the dev's, all the corporations care about is epic profit. Dev's in companies like Cryptic dont get paid as much as you think. It's a job of passion and love for gaming that keeps them in the business, not the salary. When you say "Cryptic" I figure most of you refer to Stahl, the devs, and the CEO. Did you know that Stahl is actually trying to get these expensive ships obtainable ingame along with the C-Store? He did that with the retro-fits.

Cryptic isnt desciding the pricing here, it's ATARI, and ATARI gives Cryptic a budget to work with like any contracting work, it may not include overtime. C-Store is probably a way for the dev's to get paid for their time and effort. As a 3D Modeler myself, I know that buidling a basic model from a box can be pretty easy. But to get it just right for a picky customer that will accuse you of sin if you dont get it just right, take a good month or two, for me, and my customers arent that picky. Then there is the skin, or texture/costume. That takes time too, getting the texture to look perfect after Unwrapping to model and paining a texture on it. I dont know if they have texturers and modelers or if its both in one, but it takes time, and I can tell you that staying awake till 5 or 6AM to get something just right so you can sleep easy isnt a cake walk. The dev's dont do that cause they need sleep. Then every morning and during the day Stahl opens the forums and gets to read all of the complaints and hate posts about stuff he has no control over. Remember the caitian race? It was delayed a few times so Highison could get it "just right" so we wouldnt all screech in horror about its defects and accuracy. You see the pressure they work under cause of us?

Putting the Ships out to spec takes time and to have them immediatly dissed and whined about after months of design and work isnt a pleasent feeling for Stahl and the devs. Maybe I am blinded by loyalty? Well it probably started when Stahl took the captain's chair cause I know that as long as he is in charge, the game will only improve. Zinc was a great guy but he didnt listen to the playerbase as much, I bet you that we wouldnt have seen a sector space revamp, borg ship parts, MA revamp and foundry out so fast if he were still driving. I may be wrong and I dont want to diss the guy cause he put in years on this project and it wouldnt be where it is without him, but my point here is that Cryptic, unlike other companies change their agenda's based on what the majority of us want, and what is game realistically doably. Stahl wanted to do a Vger episode I remember him saying, Zinc said no way, at the time Stahl didnt exactly understand, but he does now. I personally know what its like to work months on a project then release it and have people give negative crit. on it... It hurts, and sometimes it makes you angry. Sometimes it makes you just wanna stop all together.

I fully support the devs and their boss because they care about the game, not counting the dollars pouring in. You need to be careful who you point your fingers at. If you want to blame someone for the high prices, blame ATARI and probably CBS, they did stop the Ent-J which was almost complete, from being released. CBS has so much red tape that they could probably take it to the moon and back 3 times. The reason this "Design the next Enterprise" is working with CBS is probably because it will basically be a Cryptic-built ship like alot of the the ships in game. I hope Stahl is listening cause he still has supporters that will fight the unloyalty in the playerbase. You people need to see the light, from a different POV then your own.