Lt. Commander
If I place 5 objects on a map and set the objective to interact with all 5, the set animation (like a tricorder scan) only happens when I interact with the first object. When interacting with the next 4, the animation does not happen. I can fix this by creating 5 different interact with objects objectives back to back, but it looks sloppy in the objectives tab.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-30-2010, 06:16 AM
I used 8 objectives back to back with different animations for each one in a challenge scenario where the character has to answer 8 separate challenges. It worked perfectly, even though all 8 interactions were stacked on top one another, because they were laid out one below the other in the story line.

If I had put them side by side it would have given 8 choices possible the first time then with declining numbers of choices left, I believe, but all of the objectives would have all appeared at the same time causing the confusion you have referred to.

As far as the animations go - I haven't had any troubles with multiple objectives like disable 3 generators in one objective showing the same animation and I've been trying lots of different animations that we never really see in game.

Have you checked that each object you interact with has it's own animation setting? I set all mine individually IIRC... You have to go to the map tab and fill in each one individually. This can be difficult if you stack one on top the other unless you select them from the list on the left instead of directly from the map.

This is where giving distinctive names or numbers to each object on the map and putting them on the map in a coherent order will save you a lot of time and grief when objects exist in large numbers... I try to put decorative set building pieces into the room, then objectives, then NPC groups, so that there is some order in your map lists - grouped into the rooms or areas they all share.

By using a method in your layout you can help avoid some confusion when things start getting large and complex.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I used 8 objectives back to back with different animations for each one in a challenge scenario where the character has to answer 8 separate challenges. It worked perfectly, even though all 8 interactions were stacked on top one another, because they were laid out one below the other in the story line.

If I had put them side by side it would have given 8 choices possible the first time then with declining numbers of choices left, I believe, but all of the objectives would have all appeared at the same time causing the confusion you have referred to.

As far as the animations go - I haven't had any troubles with multiple objectives like disable 3 generators in one objective showing the same animation and I've been trying lots of different animations that we never really see in game.

Have you checked that each object you interact with has it's own animation setting? I set all mine individually IIRC... You have to go to the map tab and fill in each one individually. This can be difficult if you stack one on top the other unless you select them from the list on the left instead of directly from the map.

This is where giving distinctive names or numbers to each object on the map and putting them on the map in a coherent order will save you a lot of time and grief when objects exist in large numbers... I try to put decorative set building pieces into the room, then objectives, then NPC groups, so that there is some order in your map lists - grouped into the rooms or areas they all share.

By using a method in your layout you can help avoid some confusion when things start getting large and complex.
Thanks NB. Maybe you can identify what I'm doing wrong here. As you can see in the video, my toon only uses the tricorder once, and then just stands there when interacting with the remaining npcs.

Video: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ing-with-npcs/
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Ok... I see what you are saying about the animations... Perhaps you have to publish it first to get them to show correctly... I was incorrect about the map tab.. I saw that the animations were in the story Tab.. my bad..

I'm not sure now why you are having this difficulty... it seems like you have it setup just like I have done on many of my objectives... I don't know why yours is not working.. I don't recall having to publish to see any animations, but wandering and pathing is publishing dependent.

All of mine have been working exactly as I intended, from Dancing with the Orion Queen, Putting out my Flaming Head Hallucinations, Gesture talking in the different degrees, Head butt, Floating in Air, Air Guitar, Gesturing Mystically, Using a Beatdown on some generators & Talk to the Hand on some artifacts. The last 3 being combined interact with 3 objectives sharing the same animations, not done individually.

I stayed away from traditional animations for the player because he's experiencing side-effects from a Total Hormonal Suppressant Hypo that allows him to be around the Mutated Orion Queen and also to add some drama and flair to otherwise repetitive and boring animations that are nothing new.

Perhaps you can try a different animation and see if that works... could be a simple coding error...
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Yeah, it's probably animation specific, but it was happening with other tricorder options as well. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I was skimming down the page and saw a similar bug Report about changes of animations after publishing not being effective after the first interaction.

This appears to be the same problem you are experiencing... I suspect a code is being generated for each object in publishing... but when edited all of the objects interaction animations are not changed.

Perhaps you will need to withdraw, delete the objective, publish, withdraw, add the objective again and re-publish. This might be the work around you need to try... so that the publishing removes the object interaction animations and objectives then does them from scratch again.

If this works then we will know what is happening... the publishing is only re-writing the first of a group of interaction animations and is not "stepping through them all" and updating them as it should.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-31-2010, 05:50 PM
What is the name of your project? It should be easy to figure out what the bug is by looking at your project.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinder View Post
What is the name of your project? It should be easy to figure out what the bug is by looking at your project.
This is not a published project, and many others are experiencing the same thing. For a demonstration of the problem, please watch the tutorial. To replicate the problem, then follow the steps of the tutorial. There is also another thread about this in this subforum. Thank you.