Lt. Commander
So, i am thinking I would like to be a engineer and fly the cruiser. I have played only one other mmorpg before and there were many different servers. I am wondering if this game also has many servers and which one would be the friendliest and funnest to start on.

Anyways, anyone have any good newb tips?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Welcome to the game... Hope you will have fun times.

Anyways STO works in a slightly diffrent manner than say WoW when it comes to servers.

Where WoW has multiple smaller servers that are all seperated, STO uses lots of small servers that work together as one.

So when you log in you can Chat and play with all players, not just a select group logged into a specific shard.

The game handles crowing by splitting the players into instances with 20 (i think) in each instance, but thoose players still have chat and team abilities with people in other instances.

So we are all one big happy family (except for them trolls and them stupid gold sellers.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-24-2010, 12:25 AM
There is only one main server that every body is on. Well actually there are many servers linked to gather to make one big server but you get the idea. You wont have to pick any servers is what im trying to say. However in most maps you can switch to a different "instance". since thats how they split everyone up. This obviously prevents issues with way to many people in one map and stability issues. Anyway, Although not perfect, this is an exellent game with alot of content added and more coming. This is especially fun for star trek fans so i hope you enjoy yourself and see you in game.

*well anazonda beat me to the welcoming party but i believe your right about 20 max, and yes............... death to spammers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neromagus
*well anazonda beat me to the welcoming party but i believe your right about 20 max, and yes............... death to spammers.
Me first, you first.... It dosen't matter.

What matters is that we gave him the right answer and help him get a good start
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! I have been downloading the patches forever! Its almost done though! I love Star Trek, that's why this game was so appealing to me!
I might just stay up really late tonight getting started!

Oh, and I'm not a him, I'm a her. 34 year old her to be exact. Started out gaming on Mario Brothers way back in the age of dinosaurs, and never stopped gaming since!

Can't wait to get into the Star Trek world and see how fun it is..
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchWench
Oh, and I'm not a him, I'm a her. 34 year old her to be exact.
I knew that of cause... Just wanted to make sure that you knew too... xD
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchWench
Thanks for the quick replies! I have been downloading the patches forever! Its almost done though! I love Star Trek, that's why this game was so appealing to me!
I might just stay up really late tonight getting started!

Oh, and I'm not a him, I'm a her. 34 year old her to be exact. Started out gaming on Mario Brothers way back in the age of dinosaurs, and never stopped gaming since!

Can't wait to get into the Star Trek world and see how fun it is..
Welcome! There's a great group of people here who are more than helpful to new players. I've been a Trek fan since watching the original series first run as a child! Cryptic has made a fun game here and it's only going to get better as they tweak it and add more to it. I'm something of a roleplayer, so if you're into that, there's a great place to go, hang out, and meet some nice people: http://www.sto-rp.com/

There are plenty of fleets here to suit all play styles--I belong to two: Blacksheep Armada and Alliance Defense Fleet. It shouldn't take long for you to find a home where you're comfortable if that's what you're seeking.

I tend to log on in spurts of activity due to my home situation (I'm primary caregiver for my mother who suffers from Alzheimer's), so I might have to log off at literally a moment's notice, which makes me somewhat erratic as far as being able to team is concerned. If you'd like to team, please fire me off a "Tell" first before sending an invite and I can let you know whether I can team or not.

Hope to see you out in the galaxy and have fun!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Hello and welcome to the game.

The only tips I can give you right now is have fun while you learn the ins and outs!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Welcome Wrench, I hope you enjoy the game as most of us do here....