Lt. Commander
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to make anything with R&D is with a schematic, and the only way to make a schematic is with the lowest level of data sample.

Not only is this irritating in that I have to go back to low level exploration areas to get these data samples (possibly competing with lowbie players), but it also doesn't make any sense. A higher level data sample should be inherently more valuable than a lower level data sample because they are harder to get, so why inflate the value of lower level samples by making them required in everything? This throws off the market and the value curve of data samples.

Forgive the cross game reference, but this is like making the super epic piece of plate armor made from the rarest and strongest metals still require copper bars.

Let the Schematics be purchased with any level data sample, or give us a vendor that lets us trade down any data samples to the lowest level so we can use our current data samples to make items and don't have to backtrack to the lowest level content just to level our R&D and make the best crafted items.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-24-2010, 01:38 AM
And to make matters worse, on K-side at least, it seems that tier 2 samples drop in higher number than tier 1 samples, even in tier 1 missions.

The ability to trade down, even if only to all the way down, would make things a lot less of a pain in the ass.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-24-2010, 02:48 AM
You get T1 data samples from the scaling missions, like the deferi dailies and such. So not that hard to get them at higher level.

That said, I don't believe they should be player made at all. I think we should have to buy schematics for energy credits. And that there should be different tiers of them. A Mk X shield would take a T5 schematic, which would naturally cost more than a T4 schematic used for making Mk VIIIs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-24-2010, 02:56 AM
I don't think this is a problem. I've been hitting the cluster just out from ESD and a 10 minute grind nets me atleast 30 of each of the T1 data samples. So 9 schematics in ten minutes doesn't seem to be unreasonable.
Making them different levels just adds more crap to be wasting space I would guess.

As for how it goes on the klink side, I never play the klink side, but from everything else I hear about them, I'm sure it's not working well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-24-2010, 07:56 AM
It's not really that big of a deal. In fact Logistically it makes sense. Spreading people out across the map is always a good idea. Having schematics for every tier would make the process unnecessarily convoluted. Using energy credits to buy schematics, nah, not a good idea. Leave the energy credit spending in the exchange. With all the price gouging going on in there I see no need to divert even a little bit of that resource in any way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
It's not really that big of a deal. In fact Logistically it makes sense. Spreading people out across the map is always a good idea. Having schematics for every tier would make the process unnecessarily convoluted. Using energy credits to buy schematics, nah, not a good idea. Leave the energy credit spending in the exchange. With all the price gouging going on in there I see no need to divert even a little bit of that resource in any way.
That is exactly why we need a few things that cost energy credits. Currently, energy credits enter the economy all the time. They don't leave in nearly the same quantity. As a result, prices increase.

The game needs a few money sinks. That's why crafting should require something purchased. The exchange should really have something like a 5% fee on successful sales, maybe a 1% listing fee. Maybe some enterprising Ferengi could set up a business to match captains with BOffs (pay a set fee to get a random BOff of a given rarity). Injury and repair things should also require a different item in each tier, again with increasing prices. Boost the max you can bet on Dabo to 1000 from 100 (and possibly add new achievements). And so on.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I actually like the energy credit idea as well.

And to clarify, I'm not saying make different schematics for every tier, I'm saying make them obtained through any tier of data sample. That way, if you're like me and have a bunch of mid tier data samples left over from leveling or whatnot, you can use those to get schematics instead of just the lowest tier or highest tier. So, for example, a schematic would cost 10x any technology data sample, instead of 10x alien technology. Although this might require a bit of new tech to allow people better control over which samples are used and which aren't. (This is why a trade down vendor might be the easiest solution, even if temporary).

And yes, I realize that farming up low tier data samples is a quick process (if you are fed), but it is still counter-intuitive economically speaking, and doesn't do the KDF side any favors. Players are supposed to be excited about getting better stuff, but if you are farming for tier 1 samples for schematics and get tier 2 instead thats something to be bummed about.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCtim
I actually like the energy credit idea as well.

And to clarify, I'm not saying make different schematics for every tier, I'm saying make them obtained through any tier of data sample. That way, if you're like me and have a bunch of mid tier data samples left over from leveling or whatnot, you can use those to get schematics instead of just the lowest tier or highest tier. So, for example, a schematic would cost 10x any technology data sample, instead of 10x alien technology. Although this might require a bit of new tech to allow people better control over which samples are used and which aren't. (This is why a trade down vendor might be the easiest solution, even if temporary).

And yes, I realize that farming up low tier data samples is a quick process (if you are fed), but it is still counter-intuitive economically speaking, and doesn't do the KDF side any favors. Players are supposed to be excited about getting better stuff, but if you are farming for tier 1 samples for schematics and get tier 2 instead thats something to be bummed about.
I see your point here and though I don't have a problem with this on the fed side, I don't see switching to ECs for the schematics being a problem either.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Putting an EC cost on schematics might indeed be the best ption for its effects on the economy, but then we'd need new stuff at the very lowest levels of crafting for folks starting out at 0. If there were the option to make them with samples, or buy them with EC, then it would make sense. This would also remove schematics from the exchange going for 40,000EC.