Lt. Commander
# 1 New Graphics Card questions
12-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I recently upgraded from a GeForce 6600 card to a ATI Radeon 5750. i have not however been able to play any MMO or games period since the upgrade. i was wondering how big of an impact this upgrade will have on the graphics and game play.

and a small side question, would there be much difference if i upgraded from directX 9 to 11? i am running xp on my tower as well, i am planning on upgrading to windows 7 very soon due to directx 11.

any info and recommendations on these matters would be very helpful and greatfull.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-24-2010, 06:26 PM
You should be able to play STO with the settings pretty much at Max, which should look pretty good.

One important note though: there's a known issue with certain video cards including the 5700 series of ATI cards that causes crashes in STO if you are on the ground, have dynamic lights turned on, and have it set for more than 2 dynamic lights. In space, you can have dynamic lighting on, and up to 5 dynamic lights (the maximum) but on ground, you risk crashes if you have it higher than 2 lights.

It's been a long standing issue, but the problem is evidently proving hard to track down and they're not even sure if the issue is on Cryptic's end or on ATI's end.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-24-2010, 11:13 PM
ye get 7 ultimate 64 bit if your system supports it, and a better bang for buck card is the nvidia gtx series 460-580, get the one that comes into your budget, i run a 460 no issues for me atleast (upgrading to the 580 once my b'day in march comes round lol). feel free to look at my gaming setup if you want an idea of gaming rig.