Lt. Commander
# 1 keeping the same ship ?
12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm only interested in buying this game if i can have and keep the original TOS constitution class ship throughout my rank upgrades, I'm not interested in all the newer upgraded ships with guns everywhere. Is it possible to progress all the way through this game with only that ship. If not this game is not for me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I would like this too, but you know that that the hardcore 2409ers will freak that anyone suggested that a T1 Connie being able to knockout a T5 Sov.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Yes, you can use your original Constitution-class ship all the way to Vice Admiral. However, it won't be easy.

Higher rank ships get higher rank bridge officer stations, which allow them to use higher rank abilities. They get more weapon and console slots, and they have more hull strength and crew.
You will be able to upgrade your weapons, shields, engines, deflector and consoles, but that's about it.

Staying in your Constitution-class is doable, but it'd be akin to playing on Hardcore mode.

Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-24-2010, 11:37 PM
It should also be noted that the TOS Constitution-class is originally equipped with blue phasers that will level up with you, but you are of course free to change them up to whatever else you like.

I have seen at least one player using this ship against the Borg in the admiral-only Gamma Orionis sector block.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpuppy View Post
I'm only interested in buying this game if i can have and keep the original TOS constitution class ship throughout my rank upgrades, I'm not interested in all the newer upgraded ships with guns everywhere. Is it possible to progress all the way through this game with only that ship. If not this game is not for me.
I hope you give it a try. I too love the TOS Constitution, and was thinking of giving it a try with only that ship myself. Again, hope you try, and good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Definitely "possible"... hell, I took the runabout into Starbase 24 the other day (at Vice Admiral). Did hardly any damage, but it was fun
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpuppy View Post
You can certainly keep the TOS Constitution throughout the game, though it won't be efficient to do so and space combat will require a lot more effort on your part, but is doable. I'm currently using an NX at Cmdr 7 and doing just fine. The important thing to remember about STO is that it's not set in the TOS era. It's set 30 years past the TNG era. If you're looking for a TOS era emulation game STO probably isn't going to work for you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Play on normal mode and you'll be fine. I play lots of high level missions in my Connie. I do keep an excelsior for pvp (and it rocks!). But you're free to play in any vessel you like. It's particularly fun with a good fleet for teaming up to help you out if you get into trouble.

That said, I have a feeling that once you start playing and enjoying the game, you'll want to see your character progress to other vessels. As time goes on, you stop trying to be Jim Kirk and become your own heroic captain who has his own legend to build. For a big star trek fan like myself, the emersion in the star trek universe is what makes it so much fun.

If you get in game and want someone to do missions in a Connie with, lemme know. My fleet can always use another TOS fan!

startrekacademy.guildlaunch.com
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch5430 View Post
Play on normal mode and you'll be fine. I play lots of high level missions in my Connie. I do keep an excelsior for pvp (and it rocks!). But you're free to play in any vessel you like. It's particularly fun with a good fleet for teaming up to help you out if you get into trouble...

...If you get in game and want someone to do missions in a Connie with, lemme know. My fleet can always use another TOS fan!

startrekacademy.guildlaunch.com
Would be cool to have a fleet of TOS Connies doing missions, wouldn't it?!
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I would have said no way until I met Captain Lang, he continues to play in his Miranda class and to great effect I might add. he is actually very fearsome in it.