Lt. Commander
Hey everybody,
I've been playing the game since a week after launch. I've been a regular player since, but most of my playtime has been doing solo stuff. I have been assigning skill points at random, and I don't really know how to best utilize my experience points to play the game with maximum efficiency. I want to change that; I want to learn how to crunch numbers and become an active cooperative player and meet new people to game with and just basically learn how to play the game better. I'm willing to do whatever I can, but I really have no idea where to start. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Given the magnitude of the question, I'll send you over to the academy index stickied above.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=118581

P.S.
Grats and thanks for being a learner. This game needs more people asking this question.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Well I cannot help you with crunching numbers, but I can give you some tips to help improve your skills.

For the most part skills affect abilities. Using the filter in the upper right corner of the skills screen will let you choose abilities. The skills that affect it will highlight in yellow. Obviously you would want to put skill points in there to boost the ability.

A good way to get the most out of your skill points is to pick one energy weapon type and one projectile weapon type and stick with it. If you have multiple types you'll need to put points into the various weapon type skills and that is sort of a waste. Stick to, for example, phasers and increase the phaser energy weapon ability to 9. Don't put skill points into any other energy weapon type. The same is true for projectile weapons.

You might also want to check out this Character Skill Planner. You can plan out your skills based on your abilities and other factors. It will highlight the appropriate skills in order to help you plan them out easily.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-25-2010, 12:40 PM
As a recently returned player I've had to do a lot of learning in a short space of time but just a few things I've learnt.

Understand what your role is in a team and spec accordingly. Heals are a massive help and there's a multitude to pick from but you need to be aware of shared timers and their cooldowns.

What has worked for me and what I learnt off Latinumbar is Science or Engineering Team 1, Aux2SIF, EptS, Transfer Shield Strength, Hazard Emitters

Try and stick to one type of weapon as you can suffer a small penalty for mixing and matching. There's a ton of info on the forums about what the various torpedo's and beam/canon types do. I have been sticking with Phaser and Quantums and worked well for me. I'm debating about switching Phasers to Anti Protons lately though.

Read up via your skill sheet and the info on the forums as to what BO specials do and what equipment/consoles etc help.

Tailor your equipment to your skill sheet and team role i.e. DPS, tank support.

One piece of advice is a lot of it is trial and error. I've changed my BO skills so many times now and I'm at a point where the extra BO's are now being trained up as alternatives depending on if I need to swap for a different situation. i.e. science based heals versus damage dealing specials.

Also learn where the best kit is and although I haven't yet, I understand the value of testing out on the test server before buying and spending hard earned medals, emblems and marks...

Hope that helps.

Grace
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone, your help is really appreciated. Right now I'm looking for people to game with and I'm gonna take into consideration everything you said. I understand the role skills play, but now I will start looking into what skills affect what powers and so on. I wanna be able to contribute to the community as a whole, and you've all given me things to think about. Thanks so much!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I found this episode of STOked helpful in showing me how I needed to be more logical in distributing my skill points:
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=2402
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-26-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFawkes1605
Thanks everyone, your help is really appreciated. Right now I'm looking for people to game with and I'm gonna take into consideration everything you said. I understand the role skills play, but now I will start looking into what skills affect what powers and so on. I wanna be able to contribute to the community as a whole, and you've all given me things to think about. Thanks so much!
When you're using the skill window to allocate your points, there's a drop down menu at the top of the window that lets you select various abilities, and it will highlight the skills that help that ability.