Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
12-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Appreciate the responses from all.

Ya the list is short and missing a lot of data I realize. I wanted this to just start off a as a possible way of getting to the root problem of the supposed KDF OP. So I need ft a bit more research to gather more data to make a more educated analysis.

Since I play FED mainly, since beta, I rolled a Klink (sorry bad habits die young), ah I mean a Klingon. I'm currently recording all the PVP match data from ensign to VA. I hope this can maybe shed some light on whatever gaps or deficiencies there are. Right now I'm at Commander and having a great time actually.

What I am recording is basic info such as Kills, deaths, KDF score, Fed Score, Team numbers, If we are teamed up and communicating, KDF ship makeup, Fed tactics, KDF tactics, Ship I'm flying, and current rank.

If you can think of anything else I should record that might be useful, please let me know.

If all goes well, I should be VA in about a week and have enough info that I can post to help us crunch some data.

P.S. I'm trying to get at least 20 PVP matches per rank to at least give us a decent dataset.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foesbane View Post
Appreciate the responses from all.

Ya the list is short and missing a lot of data I realize. I wanted this to just start off a as a possible way of getting to the root problem of the supposed KDF OP. So I need ft a bit more research to gather more data to make a more educated analysis.

Since I play FED mainly, since beta, I rolled a Klink (sorry bad habits die young), ah I mean a Klingon. I'm currently recording all the PVP match data from ensign to VA. I hope this can maybe shed some light on whatever gaps or deficiencies there are. Right now I'm at Commander and having a great time actually.

What I am recording is basic info such as Kills, deaths, KDF score, Fed Score, Team numbers, If we are teamed up and communicating, KDF ship makeup, Fed tactics, KDF tactics, Ship I'm flying, and current rank.

If you can think of anything else I should record that might be useful, please let me know.

If all goes well, I should be VA in about a week and have enough info that I can post to help us crunch some data.

P.S. I'm trying to get at least 20 PVP matches per rank to at least give us a decent dataset.
Or you could maybe read two or three hundred of the" Klingons are OP" threads that already exist,
Several of those OP's also had "irrefutable facts" backed by their own number crunching and statistics and what someone in his fleet said.
Whine always tastes better when you serve it with SCIENCE!!
The thing i remember most about those # cruncher OP threads, Is that there are some scary smart STO forum readers around (alas, I am not one of them) If you state your assumption as a fact, and back it with #'s and statistics,14 nuclear physicists are going to point out all the mistakes you just made.Probably in a somewhat nerdy snarky way.Be prepared to have your conclusions & methodology picked apart.
I am probably one the the few Klingons still entertained by these threads
I was a good boy this year, & Santa brought me some Bacon flavored popcorn. So I am prepared for your conclusions.
Let the games begin!
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Actually I've been around a while, hence my join date. I believe I've read pretty much all those threads and something doesn't sound right. It's been a divided camp. The feds think it's the equipment, the klingons think it's tactics and teamwork etc. I think it might be a little of both or none of them. Read my initial post and you'll see where I state that I don't think it's what everyone thinks it is.

Btw, I love bacon and whine
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foesbane View Post

Btw, I love bacon and whine

Yummy
I look forward to your conclusions.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
I would also make note of players that do not participate. Look for ships that full impulse into the middle of a group of Klingon ships to make an arena end faster as well.

Try to look for behaviors that signify players giving up. Such as stopping all attempts to cap in cap n hold and just wanting a big melée.

These are usually seen at VA/LG, but sometimes it is seen earlier.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonkov
I would also make note of players that do not participate. Look for ships that full impulse into the middle of a group of Klingon ships to make an arena end faster as well.

Try to look for behaviors that signify players giving up. Such as stopping all attempts to cap in cap n hold and just wanting a big melée.
These are usually seen at VA/LG, but sometimes it is seen earlier.
Hey!

My fleet practically never actively cap.. Not because we "give up", but because we loathe the whole system.. The only reason I personally cap, is because I want to extend the match duration.

The problem is that the map is awesome, and if silly people would just stop capping.. We could have hourlong amazing pe-pew matches.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Hey!

My fleet practically never actively cap.. Not because we "give up", but because we loathe the whole system.. The only reason I personally cap, is because I want to extend the match duration.

The problem is that the map is awesome, and if silly people would just stop capping.. We could have hourlong amazing pe-pew matches.
UGC PvP maps FTW.

But I think there is one primary reason the map is amazing - people actually have a reason to use the elements on the map. Too many Arena matches end up 25 km above the spawn point.

We need a mission map that is all about murder-death-kill-pew-pew but still forces us to get close to bases and asteroids.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Hey!

Ahhh lass, you make me happy.
I too love the eternal PEW PEW in a well ignored C&H. If you don't get at least a million dps, you aint ttying.
It's nice to see some Feds get the idea.
Lt. Commander
Not for nothing, but I just grinded out my first real serious Kling and I gotta say it was primarily nothing but space battle repitition thus making me much better at it. As I had nothing to scan, collect, talk to or otherwise to complete my missions.

Klingons dont barter, they fight, and after going through it I can honestly say practice makes perfect. Compared to the VA's I have sitting idle, I have learned much more about the combat mechanic just by rollin a Kling than I did rollin a Fed. Understand that all ship classes aside I stick to my orginal argument.

Cloak means nothing, ship class means nothing, Its the guy steerin the boat that counts. What ever ship class you choose wont matter if you don't learn how to use the benifits of that class. I played mostly Tac since launch. This Kling is my first Sci and it's a totally different mode of combat than what I'm used to. So I had to learn all over again. If I PvP at all it will be to find my flaws, not to win.....and you will know when I'm in PvP to win....because when my build is perfected...you will curse my name.

Trial and error folks, no one is OP, the balance is there you just have to see it. use your weakness and turn it into your strenth. Most of all think about whats 2 steps ahead and how to execute that. try it out on more predictable targets like in PVE and go from there. Most of all if your not sure where to put your skill points, don't put them anywhere until your sure. This will save you lots on frustration when you find that one thing that doesn't do what you thought it would. And you don't waste a respec. It starts at the Char creation screen. Know what your playing into and where you want to go with it and you will find success.

Most of all if your a Fed, join a fleet early on, team up as much as possible. Get used to playing around others. Don't get stuck in the solo I'm a lone wolf hero poo...this will make you instantaneously explode when you enter PVP and make the vein pop out of your forehead.

And if you need help.......ask......
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Here, I give you one single thing that you can actually point to that could be an imbalance:

The Klingon Nev'Var vs. the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit:
Neg'Var
Consoles: 4 Engineering, 2 Science, 3 Tactical vs 4 Engineering, 2 Science, 2 Tactical
Special Abilities: Cloak vs Saucer Seperation
Turn Rate: 9 vs 6.
Hull & Shields: Equal
Little correction, the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit as cloack in addition to the seperation.
So its 1 vs 2 specials.