Lt. Commander
# 1 No two same ship names
12-24-2010, 07:51 AM
So I name my first ship Ares. I play the game and get my net ship and try to name it Ares but nope can not do that. That put a huge dent in my planes because I was going to name all my ships Ares and just add Letters to the registry number like the Ares-A. So what I want to know is why Cryptic has said that you can not have ships with the same when in star trek there are ships with the same name?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-24-2010, 08:02 AM
You can name your second ship Ares if you either A: delete your first ship or B: rename your first ship before naming your second. Hopefully Cryptic will eventually allow the naming system to recognize the A in the Registry but right now they have bigger fish to fry.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg
So I name my first ship Ares. I play the game and get my net ship and try to name it Ares but nope can not do that. That put a huge dent in my planes because I was going to name all my ships Ares and just add Letters to the registry number like the Ares-A. So what I want to know is why Cryptic has said that you can not have ships with the same when in star trek there are ships with the same name?
The only time there are ships in star trek with the same name are when the previous ship was destroyed.

Quote:
Example 1

USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (destroyed)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A (decommissioned)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B (destroyed or decommissioned, unknown)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C (destroyed)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (destroyed)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E (current)
Quote:
Example 2

USS Defiant NCC-1764 (lost in the Mirror Universe, presumed destroyed)
USS Defiant NX-74205 (destroyed)
USS Defiant NX-74205 (canonically, current. In-game, decommissioned)
There are other examples (USS Intrepid, USS Prometheus, etc) of ships that were once one class, then later another class after the previous ship was either decommissioned, or destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
You do have a point but I do like the idea of deleting one of my ships because who knows when you want to fly around in it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah. That's why we see so many ships flying around that have the A, B, C, etc as part of the name rather then the registry. Hopefully Cryptic will allow the Registry suffix to be taken into account in their restriction at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Have you tried "Ares-A" or "Ares A" as the whole name instead of "Ares" for the name then "A" for the suffix? Not sure if that works myself as I've never tried it. That is just if you don't want to decommission or pay to rename.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg
You do have a point but I do like the idea of deleting one of my ships because who knows when you want to fly around in it.

You can always rename the first ship (as Cosmic One said). That'll free up the name to allow it to be used for your new ship..
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
I renamed my previous ship the class it was, and then continued to use my main ship name for all my ships. It's a little hassle, but nothing too bad.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
You could always do what they did in soft canon, in the days before "Voyage Home".. and give your ship the name "Ares II"
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, this really bugs me. I agree with Cosmic_One with the fact that they should add the registry as part of the restriction. I wanted to make most (not all) of my ships one name as part of a series, but this stupid restriction is not letting me!