Lt. Commander
I was making a new project just to how a friend what the system was capable of yesterday and got the message that I could not create any new projects because I had reached the limit, or something along those lines. It was no big deal, as I already has some "test" projects which I simply deleted and made a new one. However, this did get me thinking about the intention of the limited project numbers. That is to say, do the Devs intend for you to only keep your missions up for X amount of time, and then delete them and create new ones, or simply stop making them once you have reached your limit? I would hate to see some of the really great missions that have been simply be gone because the authors have reached their limits and need more space. Or does a mission remain playable even after you delete the project?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-25-2010, 08:54 AM
There's a hard cap for the maximum number of missions you have and another cap for the number of unpublished missions.

I believe the intent is to get people focused on publishing and also to spare the server load of those special authors who would create 200 missions and just flood the release channels. (what if someone published 200 at once? would they dominate both the new and hot lists for weeks?)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-25-2010, 11:09 AM
once you delete a mission it is pulled from the game. it has to otherwise you would never be able to remove or re-edit it. there will be a limit because of obvious reasons of space, sever performance and logistics but i do hope that we can continue to earn new slots or worse case scenario buy more.

i have a klingon story arc planned, starting with my current mission ive already made that will last 5 or 6 eps and will probably take up the bulk of my slots. i certainly dont want to have to delete them as the first has already gone down well with those who have played it and i hope to make the rest as fun and as interesting.

the fact they are in an arc means deleting one destroys the entire story so quite simply i have to have the ability to get more slots in some way.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-25-2010, 11:57 AM
well this poses a problem
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I was making a new project just to how a friend what the system was capable of yesterday and got the message that I could not create any new projects because I had reached the limit, or something along those lines. It was no big deal, as I already has some "test" projects which I simply deleted and made a new one. However, this did get me thinking about the intention of the limited project numbers. That is to say, do the Devs intend for you to only keep your missions up for X amount of time, and then delete them and create new ones, or simply stop making them once you have reached your limit? I would hate to see some of the really great missions that have been simply be gone because the authors have reached their limits and need more space. Or does a mission remain playable even after you delete the project?
I didn't think that there'd be a limit on the number of episodes in total you could have out on release. If it's 200, then that could be OK because it's quite a high number, although who knows - in a few years some people might make that many and need more... I hope they just drop that or raise it to a higher number. I hope they don't make it a C-store purchaseable e.g. Buy more mission project space!

But about the other thing - I DID hear that there is a limit to the number of unfinished projects you can have at the same time. That I'm OK with. It encourages you to finish what you've got that isn't finished. E.g. they only let you have a certain number of unpublished missions at a time or something. Once you get those published, you can make more.

It does not require you to delete your published projects. You just can't have more than a bunch "in development" at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-25-2010, 02:34 PM
What's the limit on number of published maps anyone know?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazKid
What's the limit on number of published maps anyone know?
I don't.

During Closed beta it was 5 then upped to 8, I believe. No idea what the current threshold is.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I just hope that we will get cheap published mission slots when foundry makes it to holodeck. I have 4 missions planned in a story arc, but depending on its success, I may want to further expand the story
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
I just hope that we will get cheap published mission slots when foundry makes it to holodeck. I have 4 missions planned in a story arc, but depending on its success, I may want to further expand the story
Ehh, I was under the impression that Cryptic created the tool so we could add to the universe. I don't believe in placing a cap on published missions. It would be akin to having a featured series for a month or so and then removing it so no one could ever play it again.

Even if we had to pay to increase the said cap is on the intolerable side of things for me. Frankly, that'll just be the point I fold and quit.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Ehh, I was under the impression that Cryptic created the tool so we could add to the universe. I don't believe in placing a cap on published missions. It would be akin to having a featured series for a month or so and then removing it so no one could ever play it again.

Even if we had to pay to increase the said cap is on the intolerable side of things for me. Frankly, that'll just be the point I fold and quit.
Remember - EVERYTHING takes up storage space somewhere; and when you get into the number of users were talking about; NOT setting a cap on either work in progress, or published misions per player wuld be insane.

By setting some limit, you're at least forced to make sure (if you're into creating a lot for the Foundry), that you don't commit something to the server until it's 'worth it'. leave it open ended and the hard drives will just fill up with garbage that no one really cares about; but has to be backed up/preserved, becauuse there's no way to tell what's what.