Lt. Commander
# 11
12-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, one difference is that CoX has more missions. You can level an alt and not have to do the same missions as your last character. I'm hoping the Foundry alleviates some of that.

Of course I'm sure there will be all kinds of awful, poorly written missions in the foundry, so I hope the Devs aren't counting on that to make up for content the game needs.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
When the game was first launched it was fun, but many missions were repetitive. Those missions still exist in the game, but there are also the featured episodes (devidian and breen missions so far). These have changed the nature of the game. On top of that there have been many changes over the past year such as the new sector space style and the updated crafting system. Basically the game is heading in the right direction but has a long way to go.

Something that people don't see to realize is that this game is not even a year old yet. There are many things to be worked out. I think this is a very good game, but like anything else it has room for improvement. I guess people had high expectations and then when they were let down the bad reviews started popping up.
Hate to say it but after you have done the weeklies 15-20 times, they are repetitive as well. Nor are they really much different than the regular fair of missions. Same basic Kill this bunch here, blah blah.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-25-2010, 04:21 PM
First off, I feel the score was accurate at the time of the re-review. This was an older review and, as such, lacked a lot of the goodies we've enjoyed (weeklies, new sector space, etc.). In fact, the re-review was written during the Season 2 aftermath (which was rightfully graded down as Season 2's release was terrible for many components graded, i.e. PvP and exploration was broken during that time).

The review was fairly level headed though and STO did deserve a lot of the criticism from that review.

HOWEVER:
MMORPG has a checkered history with STO. I remember there was an article written a few months back comparing STO to EVE where the author made several blatantly incorrect statements (and was later discovered to have only logged 57 minutes on his account). This didn't go over well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ek-Online.html

from the article itself:
Quote:
Some concerns have been brought to our attention that the author only played 57 minutes of Star Trek Online’s demo. He did not play the full retail game, though he invested significantly more time in EVE Online. We apologize to Star Trek Online for this and would like to remind our readership that this piece is not an official review, but rather an editorial generated by the author, a regular contributor to our publication. We have added this statement so that readers can better interpret the article fairly. We will have an update for you soon.
So, take MMORPG with a grain of salt.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I have to partially disagree with you. There may not be a real end game, but the featured episodes (breen and devidian) have received a positive feedback and Cryptic will continue doing them. In a sense these are the end game.

I don't think not being able to get more than 5 people on your team is a problem that causes this game to get bad reviews. Frankly it is a part of Star Trek. In the episodes you might see 6 people on an away team, but rarely more than that. It was probably a choice by Cryptic to stick with what we see in the episodes.

The STFs are a double-edged sword. It was Cryptic's attempt to add more interaction between players, but at the same time are a bit difficult. The idea is good but I feel they need to be thought out a bit more. I heard that more might be coming.

I can't comment on PvP since I am not a fan of it.

As for the fleet actions. Surprisingly the Starbase 24 one is very popular. I always see people in it even at VA. I haven't checked the other ones though.
The weeklies didn't really impress me they were just more of the same. They didn't make very much sense from the Klingon side. I was healing people with my Nausicaan Tactical officer. Really, I mean come on they should at least make sense.

The not being able to group with more than five people makes things like fleet actions more difficult than they have to be. I couldn't heal with my science officer without having to spam control tab and still not get the player I want to heal. So you really can't get a working with a fleet feel.

The STF's were just a grind fest of trash mobs that lots of people don't think that are even fun.

No real way for players to get very much PVP.

I haven't done starbase 24 in awhile but it was a tier one fleet action until they changed it. I the ones I liked were empty most of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
The weeklies didn't really impress me they were just more of the same. They didn't make very much sense from the Klingon side. I was healing people with my Nausicaan Tactical officer. Really, I mean come on they should at least make sense.

The not being able to group with more than five people makes things like fleet actions more difficult than they have to be. I couldn't heal with my science officer without having to spam control tab and still not get the player I want to heal. So you really can't get a working with a fleet feel.

The STF's were just a grind fest of trash mobs that lots of people don't think that are even fun.

No real way for players to get very much PVP.

I haven't done starbase 24 in awhile but it was a tier one fleet action until they changed it. I the ones I liked were empty most of the time.
These are all fair assessments. There's a lot of wondering about what we'll do at end-game aside from grinding for limited loot and then having nothing to do with it but the same things.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Game press sites like MMOrpg.com try to take into account things like the CStore as well as game content. I'm not defending here I think the report from the guy who spent 57 mins in game was completely biased to EVE.

What I will say is look at the model the developers (game owners) are using then make your own judgements. We have a Star Trek experience that uses expensive CSHop purchases to fund the game on top of regular subscriptions. Unless someone can prove me wrong there's no other game that does this this. At least not for the prices currently in the CStore.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I love the game and couldn't care less what reviewers have said. Enough shockingly bad games in the past have received top marks, just look at the shambles that was Modern Warfare 2 for a quick example. To think their voice is the be all and end all is silly at the very least.
The problem with STO is simply stigma. There has been an incredible difference made to the game from launch, and still people keep forgetting how long this game has been out. A year people, a damn year. The mentality that this game should have the same spit and polish as Wow is just wrong. You may not say Wow in the same sentence, but the thought behind a lot of what is said completely reflects on this attitude.
I love STO, and i look forward to spending a great many years playing it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneo View Post
Game press sites like MMOrpg.com try to take into account things like the CStore as well as game content. I'm not defending here I think the report from the guy who spent 57 mins in game was completely biased to EVE.

What I will say is look at the model the developers (game owners) are using then make your own judgements. We have a Star Trek experience that uses expensive CSHop purchases to fund the game on top of regular subscriptions. Unless someone can prove me wrong there's no other game that does this this. At least not for the prices currently in the CStore.
I don't really have any problem with them trying to sell stuff in c-store. I now think it hurt STO more than anything thing else. Because they completely ignored all the major problems with the game. They always have plenty of new items in c-store that generate profit. So everything else is of no concern.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
Well, one difference is that CoX has more missions. You can level an alt and not have to do the same missions as your last character. I'm hoping the Foundry alleviates some of that.

Of course I'm sure there will be all kinds of awful, poorly written missions in the foundry, so I hope the Devs aren't counting on that to make up for content the game needs.
Have they round-filed the stupid daily diminishing (or rather, vanishing) returns on Foundry play yet? Otherwise, not going to be much good for alternative leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
These are all fair assessments. There's a lot of wondering about what we'll do at end-game aside from grinding for limited loot and then having nothing to do with it but the same things.
The reason I don't care much for weeklies is they don't have very much replay value. You can do them a few times then they get boring. Where as STF's, fleet actions and mofe PVP maps can give hundreds of hours of game play and be different almost every time. Because you can use different strategies and will be playing with different people.