Lt. Commander
So, it seems a lot of Foundry mission authors are asking about the ability to add and/or subtract story elements at specific times during a mission. I know I've been searching around for a way to do so, myself, and have come across the topic several times.

Taking a look at the very basic elements of telling a story, the addition/subtraction of devices and characters are key to evolving a plot. I have been mulling this concept over for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that the best route might be one taken from animation and video editing applications.

Everything from Flash to iMovie to AnimeStudio Pro all use 'keyframes.' I would imagine that method of linear story creation is a completely different 'coding language,' given the need to start recording and monitoring specific lapses of time, but I really feel this is the direction Cryptic should be heading to make this Foundry system even more revolutionary.

For example, I'd like to be able to 'disable' a ship in a space battle, and being able to despawn and then spawn objects at a certain keyframe would certainly solve that problem. This ability to despawn objects might decrease server load, too... oh, but, hmm, having to store time lapse data might increase load a bunch, too... hrm...

Anyway, I'd love to see a Foundry UI much more akin to, say, AVID's Media Composer... I know that's a very extreme example, but that would certainly allow mission authors amazingly tight control over story, both client-side, and behind the scenes!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-22-2010, 04:34 AM
That would be nice for STO Foundry I guess, but the mission objectives thing is more like a flow chart or a timeline.

E.g. Something happens in the present, the mission should branch off into two different timelines based on your decision, each showing a new chain of linear events. I think Branching dialogue trees is something they want to add in, but I think adding in the ability to make objectives optional would let people make branching mission trees with different endings.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
...I think adding in the ability to make objectives optional would let people make branching mission trees with different endings.
I think that depends whether or not Cryptic give us a way to mark an objective as a "mission-terminator". If they do, then yes, I see how we could create several branches, each with it's own terminator. The player will reach the one the like the most and since the mission will terminate upon accomplishing the terminator objective, all terminator objectives will cease to exist because the mission is over.

Then again, perhaps people would like to create, I know I would, missions with several paths that will all lead to the completion of the mission using the same ending.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-22-2010, 09:15 AM
I just want to be able to deploy transport pattern enhancers, and then beam up a group of NPC's.. then travel to the next area on the same map, without being forced to change maps or rebuild the entire map.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I just want to be able to deploy transport pattern enhancers, and then beam up a group of NPC's.. then travel to the next area on the same map, without being forced to change maps or rebuild the entire map.
Me too. How long are you willing to wait for it though?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think that depends whether or not Cryptic give us a way to mark an objective as a "mission-terminator". If they do, then yes, I see how we could create several branches, each with it's own terminator. The player will reach the one the like the most and since the mission will terminate upon accomplishing the terminator objective, all terminator objectives will cease to exist because the mission is over.

Then again, perhaps people would like to create, I know I would, missions with several paths that will all lead to the completion of the mission using the same ending.
it WOULD put the ROLE PLAYING GAME back into MMORPG
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not quite sure what the poster is asking for right now. The only way to make missions right now is in a linear fashion. That's it.

Is the player asking for triggered beam/warp in/out when objectives complete?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Sounds to me like he wants things to "do stuff" like become disabled, create an effect, become a destroyed looking object, Vanish, appear, change states ect. You seem to have a comprehension problem today Darren... are you tired?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil View Post
it WOULD put the ROLE PLAYING GAME back into MMORPG
Something I've been wishing for ever since I first started looking into MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Sounds to me like he wants things to "do stuff" like become disabled, create an effect, become a destroyed looking object, Vanish, appear, change states ect. You seem to have a comprehension problem today Darren... are you tired?
Not just that- the OP would like the ability to add non-linear progression- aka: multiple choice scripts that can lead to multiple endings.

This is definitely a desirable feature that would be great in foundry, and the only drawback I can see so far is a more convoluted story flowchart. However- it is still possible cryptic could make it work into their foundry GUI, and it would give us the ability to make missions that surpass what cryptic have made so far in quality