Lt. Commander
# 1 The Wings
12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
OK I never really piped up much when the wing animations came in. I thought ok this is new... I can live with it.

I recently loaded up one of my BOP toons that I hadn't played in awhile... OHHHH MY what an UGLY mechanic this is.

So HERE it is PLEASE PLEASE Cryptic. Give me the option to disable the wing animations.

My goodness... my ship looks like its going to do a belly flop on some pavement..... not very honourable.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2010, 03:51 PM
*points at sig*

Also, from the last Ask Cryptic:

Quote:
Q: Kasensal: A while back, this was posted, and the masses rejoiced: (ability to turn off ship animations) How come this was not in the previous engineering report? What plans do you have regarding these animations? These are a big deal to a lot of people.

A: We have been investigating the issue and have come to a solution for some (but not all) of the animations. We plan to roll out the options once everything has been finalized. No ETA on it yet, though.
I can't ****ing wait. They're horrible and they ruined my ship for me for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I like 'em! But I'm all for customization too so... good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2010, 08:21 PM
My only real problem with the BoP's is it seems kinda silly, especially in PvP and alot of the PvE missions where you're hunting down X squads of Y ship. The constant wing flapping seems pointless.

Captain: Raise wings, engage cruise mode, engage cloaking device!
Nav Officer: The enemy is 11 kellicams away, we are nearly within weapons range! If we stay in attack mode-
Captain: Didn't you see?! I turned the red lights and sirens OFF! That means we RAISE THE WINGS! If I tell you again it will be as I throw you out the airlock, petaQ!

Going into cruise mode seems fine for Full Impulse and Sector Space travel. But in missions in space you're seconds away from your next fight about 95% of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKatrina View Post
My only real problem with the BoP's is it seems kinda silly, especially in PvP and alot of the PvE missions where you're hunting down X squads of Y ship. The constant wing flapping seems pointless.

Nav Officer: The enemy is 11 kellicams away, we are nearly within weapons range! If we stay in attack mode-
Captain: Didn't you see?! I turned the red lights and sirens OFF! That means we RAISE THE WINGS! If I tell you again it will be as I throw you out the airlock, petaQ!

Going into cruise mode seems fine for Full Impulse and Sector Space travel. But in missions in space you're seconds away from your next fight about 95% of the time.
Yes it is true that the 'flapping' seems a little silly... as many game mechanics seem when used repetitively. I think it's silly to have the ability to use a gravity well every 30 seconds... but hey, thats just me!

"Captain, we are 10km from 3 enemy ships, what are your orders?"
"Tear a hole in the fabric of reality right in the center of the group. The gravitational forces will shred their hull!"
"But captain, tearing holes in the fabric of space... doesn't that seem a little wreckless?"
"Don't question my orders, now RIP A HOLE IN SPACE TIME!!"
"Okay captain, all three ships are being pulled in!"
"Great, now in 30 seconds... do it again."

I digress... the repeated flapping is silly, BUT SO COOL. I love it every time it happens, it's like Bruce Lee tearing off his shirt. It symbolizes... "Your about to get served". I just justify it by saying that your full impulse wont work unless the wings are up. Almost as if the way a BoP was designed required the wings to go up to provide a stable structural integrity during increased hull stress at those speeds. Then when you attack, in order to provide a more accurate firing arc, the wings must go down...

Thats how I see it anyway. I LOVE the freakin wings moving. The best thing to happen to BoPs since universal bridge slots!

...Now if I can just convince cryptic to add one more freakin weapon slot, we would be in business.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-27-2010, 07:12 AM
lol- When I first saw the wing animations on my Hegh BoP I suddenly wanted to color it yellow and give it a red comb, it so looked like a flattened rubber chicken.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
"Captain, we are 10km from 3 enemy ships, what are your orders?"
"Tear a hole in the fabric of reality right in the center of the group. The gravitational forces will shred their hull!"
"But captain, tearing holes in the fabric of space... doesn't that seem a little wreckless?"
"Don't question my orders, now RIP A HOLE IN SPACE TIME!!"
"Okay captain, all three ships are being pulled in!"
"Great, now in 30 seconds... do it again."
Wahaha, awesome.

Anyway, I, personally, like the animation, though I have to agree that moving the wings every 10 seconds seems a bit pointless (it looks cool, though). Apart from adding a trigger to turn off the whole animation once and for all, they could also add a manual trigger to move the wings whenever we want.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Have to agree there, as much as I love the moving wings.

I think the best way to solve this would be either one of these options:

A
- wings go down when entering combat or cloak, and they stay down
- wings go up again only before warping out of a map

B
- wing configuration can be toggled by "switching stances", which is actually canon
-- "cruise mode": wings up, bonus to speed (hull shape optimized for travel at high impulse)
-- "attack mode": wings down, bonus to defense (wings protect a weak spot at the ship's belly)

C
- wing configuration is dependent on base energy settings
-- 50-100% Engines: wings up
-- 25% Engines: wings down

D
- simply include a button to change wings (cheap-ass solution compared to the other options, but better than what we have now)
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Have to agree there, as much as I love the moving wings.

I think the best way to solve this would be either one of these options:

A
- wings go down when entering combat, and they stay down
- wings go up again only before warping out of a map

B
- wing configuration can be toggled by "switching stances", which is actually canon
-- "cruise mode": wings up, bonus to speed (hull shape optimized for travel at high impulse)
-- "attack mode": wings down, bonus to defense (wings protect a weak spot at the ship's belly)

C
- wing configuration is dependent on base energy settings
-- 50-100% Engines: wings up
-- 25% Engines: wings down

D
- simply include a button to change wings (cheap-ass solution compared to the other options, but better than what we have now)
I mostly want to see A. That'd mean that the wings would be up in Sector Space by default if that method was observed. Also with the addition, wings go to Combat mode when Cloak is engaged. In effect this means when you go into a map, your wings are up until you are in combat or cloak. The purpose is, and I think I am quoting from Star Trek V here, "If my people are cloaked, they intend to fire."
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Also with the addition, wings go to Combat mode when Cloak is engaged. In effect this means when you go into a map, your wings are up until you are in combat or cloak. The purpose is, and I think I am quoting from Star Trek V here, "If my people are cloaked, they intend to fire."
Very true. Added to the list!