Lt. Commander
# 11
12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
I actually like B. That would give the animation a bit of a purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Well I love the wing animation but true; it is pointless to change position every 10 seconds. However, I'd prefer to make the change manually every time I want, I wouldnt like a general change like "they are always down during combat missions and just up in sector space"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias

B
- wing configuration can be toggled by "switching stances", which is actually canon
-- "cruise mode": wings up, bonus to speed (hull shape optimized for travel at high impulse)
-- "attack mode": wings down, bonus to defense (wings protect a weak spot at the ship's belly)
Something like that I (and others) suggestet as a K'Vort abiliy, very close to the nausican ships "siege mode". Making it a general BoP ability i thing would change the BoPs balance to much; so for the "regular one" I'd just prefer to have a "turn on/off" button in my hotbar.

But honestly.... I do not understand why that is so hard to develop; I mean.... the ships where without animation... then the animation was addet.... why should it be so hard (and thake longer then 20 seconds) to programm an "on/off" switch?

p.s.: Dear Cryptic if you ever consider to make a workover of the BoPs, please consider to re-add the "old" Hegh'ta model. I dont want f**** windows on my Bird of Prey and I HATE the wing canons the way they look now, LOVED the old ones.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Something like that I (and others) suggestet as a K'Vort abiliy, very close to the nausican ships "siege mode". Making it a general BoP ability i thing would change the BoPs balance to much; so for the "regular one" I'd just prefer to have a "turn on/off" button in my hotbar.
Apart from my opinion that the Refit-B'rel should just have been called K'vort, having the wing mechanic affect all BoP's would give the animation a general in-character purpose, though. It'd be a little weird to have them affect the stats on one ship and not on others.

You're right about the balancing concerns, though. Perhaps instead of a bonus the stances could simply trigger an appropriate debuff?
- Wings Up: "Exposed Belly" debuff (-20 all energy/kinetic resistance)
- Wings Down: "Heavy-Handed" debuff (-10 engine power, -20% turn rate)
numbers more or less arbitrary and just for demonstration purposes

That'd effectively change nothing in terms of efficiency, it would just mean that players would have to look out to use the correct stance. An added bit of difficulty for BoP pilots, perhaps.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
That'd effectively change nothing in terms of efficiency, it would just mean that players would have to look out to use the correct stance. An added bit of difficulty for BoP pilots, perhaps.
Woah woah woah... STOP RIGHT THERE!!!
Lets back the f*** up just a second...
Have you flown a BoP in PvP?
No disrespect, but arent they difficult ENOUGH? The 'mosquito' tactic works fine and all... but eventually you get SWATTED. It's really not a question of IF you do, but WHEN you do. An added 'bit of difficulty'... no no no, I am pretty sure an added 'bit of a buff' would be better. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Well, like he said - it does not need to be such a great difference. It's just the matter of using the wing-flapping-thingy with purpose and not only for the visual effect.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm happily flying a Refit-B'rel BoP. Yes, in PvP too (though I currently focus on my Orion alt).

When you add a bit of difficulty, that doesn't mean there was no difficulty to begin with! :p
It'd just be another thing to keep in mind. Situational, depending on whether you want to attack or pursue. You don't even have to keep it in mind or can outright ignore the differences if you prefer one wing stance over the other, it's just that there actually is a reason to select the right configuration.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Basicly the suggestet "wing buffs" are another special ability. Look at the Galaxy refit; sure it has an aditional saucer flying arround, but it gives up for its change a lot.

And remember what we have as BoP Captains.
We have battle Cloak, we have Universal stations.... and... gimik or not, mnoving wings. Of course we pay a price and of course its not as easy as many feds like to think, but lets face it: We already have the most unique ship class! Its not very fair to give us even MORE special stuff. If I'm looking at my Defaint.... or my Souvereign... like them too but they have static hulls with a more or less static bo setup. And I hate it when I accidently try to battlecloak with my defaint and then recognize "oops, wrong ship".

Im talking about balance here or saying "the bop is stronger", I'm just talking abut the fun factor. And here the BoP is superior to EVERY other ship in STO, including cariers.
More unique additions to that class in general... no, the only thing that would cause is everybody else whining.
And further, since it would be a special ability in every way, we would have to give something up for it again.... Hull for example. I didnt even switch to the B'rel because that "Small" price for cloak fire was to much for me, I like my BoP the way it is (just beside that F***** season 1 change on the wing cannons!!!!!)
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Make the buffs into debuffs then. Same principle as outlined above. Maybe that would even shut up the whiners who cry about the BoP being OP.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't see why it would need to be a buff at all, but if it was one, it would only need to be small, like +5. Also, no to debuffs.

My preference is a lack of any stat change at all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, I'd like there to be an in-game reason (or encouragement) for people to switch to the correct wing configuration (whilst still allowing people to not do it) - but that's a personal preference, of course. I'm a canon nut.