Lt. Commander
# 11 "Sto players go whine whine"
12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I'll just complain that the rest of the game is Far Too Easy and does nothing whatsoever to prepare "average" players for the Team challenge that the STF's represent.

I'd rather have Mandatory Death Penalties to finally be rid of players that only complain when the going gets tough, instead of actually learning to better use skills and be socially connected to the rest of the player base.
This pretty much sums it up. Your playing an online game with other people. The whole game can be soloed except for very few (FAR TOO FEW CRYPTIC) group missions such as the STF's. Find a good fleet, meet some people and get out of your shell. You may learn a few things about the game to make it more enjoyable and you may learn to enjoy grouping...

Or you can keep complaining here that 4 missions out of the rest of the game are too hard for you to adapt to...
If the Borg can do it, maybe you should all try too?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
I just think the experienced STF'ers just don't get it.

The time wasting portions of the STF missions are NOT A CHALLENGE. They're there to punish you for making the slightest slip up. It's gotten to the point of being excessive.

Really, what's the point of clearing out all the borg drones each time the nodes puzzles fail in The Cure? Killing them over and over proves nothing. Despawn them so we can get to the puzzle sooner.

And what's the point of putting the respawn points so far away? We already know how to run.

I love the challenging portions. I like hopping around in Infected trying to avoid the floor. I liked trying to get the timing just right for the node puzzles in The Cure. I loved trying to keep the probes away from the portal in Khitomer. But if I get it wrong... I'm needlessly punished and it takes a 1 hour mission and turns it into a wasted afternoon.

The way these missions punish players just needs to be toned down a little. That's all.

The experienced STF'ers can have their challenging bits.

And the PuG's don't have to waste an afternoon clearing countless borg nests and running halfway across the map.

It's a win/win situation!
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
STO should be an ENJOYABLE game. For most players, the higher end STFs are NOT FUN. I've been through Infected and Cure multiple times to help other players through, but having it take more than a few hours is dam ridiculous. I have not even been able to get into KA since I am waiting on friends to complete the Cure.

The Borg gear is JUST NOT WORTH that much trouble for a lot of people. And besides, with Cryptic's track record, they will be in the C-Store within a few months, so why should single players even bother with STFs?

If you want people to work together in teams more, do not make the missions so difficult at the lowest level. There is always VA and ELITE if you want the challenge.

If they turn off the newbs to the game, Cryptic is just screwing themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
The only "time wasting" part of any STF that I've seen is the final KA space battle and the coin-flip in Terradome. Even with those, these missions are all relatively short for players that have educated themselves & have learned how to use team work.

The simple facts do not support the arguments presented about how "bad" the STF's are. They only diminish those who complain in the eyes of the community. No amount of advice or tips & tricks will change these players minds.

The Borg STF's are functioning as intended. If you are having to spend a lot of time in any of them, then you are doing something that was "Not Intended" by the developers and should try to find out what it is that YOU -as a player- are specifically doing wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I agree with BlownApart. The STF's arnt that hard. Ask me what I thought half a year ago before I decided to take some time and really sit down and understand some things about the game and I would have agreed with you guys, however I can not. After learning about the game and the various mechanics I improved my game 100 fold. I run these STF's every coupple days and we never have a problem. My fleetmates and I did Infected and cure complete tonight in 2 hours on our KDF toons. I didnt see a thing wrong with the STF's. All one needs is proper teamwork and decent tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsington
STO should be an ENJOYABLE game. For most players, the higher end STFs are NOT FUN. I've been through Infected and Cure multiple times to help other players through, but having it take more than a few hours is dam ridiculous. I have not even been able to get into KA since I am waiting on friends to complete the Cure.

The Borg gear is JUST NOT WORTH that much trouble for a lot of people. And besides, with Cryptic's track record, they will be in the C-Store within a few months, so why should single players even bother with STFs?

If you want people to work together in teams more, do not make the missions so difficult at the lowest level. There is always VA and ELITE if you want the challenge.

If they turn off the newbs to the game, Cryptic is just screwing themselves.
The only thing I have to say to this is by the time you get access to the Gamma you should not be a newb anymore. Instead you should be working on tweaking your toon to get it to its maximum potential. STF's clearly state *Their hard* or else it wouldnt advise that a 5 man team to do it, you would just bring BO's.
Theese missions are for the players that want a challenge, that want to up their game, that want to go to that full potential.

If something is too hard to overcome players whine and things get nerfed, where as by the time the nerf comes the players who took the time to learn and overcome the challenge have to sit and wait for a new challenge instead of enjoying and putting to use what they learned.

Sorry if thats long winded or offensive to anyone, but if the STF's get any easier Cryptic might as well just award the set to every player for making UA1.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptosec View Post
STFs are not difficult for a team composed of halfway decent players with a proper gameplan that is followed by the group. It's that simple.

The average PUG, however, simply does not qualify. If you are basing your judgement of STFs on PUG runs, you need to find yourself an active fleet. While you're at it, get yourself some decent gear; common Mk VIII shields and armor may "get your through" an STF, but it will only make your run seems all the more tedious. This is especially true if YOU are the sole medic in the group.

This is a multiplayer game. Expect to have to work in a team to achieve a goal.

This has been said before, but it's worth repeating.

This game, and many others like it allow you to do nearly all the content all on your own. So when it comes to playing on a team, people just aren't ready to be told what to do, and how things work. They'll fail it over and over trying desperately to single player team it, and they wont'. And that's why STFs are considered difficult.

However, since many teams have done them, and done them with relative ease, they can be done. Just a little communication and teamwork is really all it takes.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post

This game, and many others like it allow you to do nearly all the content all on your own. So when it comes to playing on a team, people just aren't ready to be told what to do, and how things work. They'll fail it over and over trying desperately to single player team it, and they wont'. And that's why STFs are considered difficult.

However, since many teams have done them, and done them with relative ease, they can be done. Just a little communication and teamwork is really all it takes.
Really well said
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post

I agree.

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Ok, I agree with things from both sides on this one... I HATE STFs but I wanted to get the Borg stuff so I stuck it out and did them, with a decent team that works together and communicates it can be somewhat fun. However like I have said in other posts about this topic I think that the STFs are FAR to long for the average player to do, I know that there are some experienced players that can waltz through most of the STFs in a small amount of time but for the majority that is just not possible. The length comes from silly repetitiveness that is found in all of the STFs, I have no problem with it being difficult and having to work as a team but when I have to sit for 3-5 hours to finish a mission that is painfully repetitive I start to loose interest. I know that some of the problem might rest on me as I know I do ridiculously low damage no matter what weapon I use on the ground and that can frustrate me. But I stick with it and now all I need to get through is the Khitomer Accord (SP?) and after that I won't need to do STFs again (But I think I might, I like working as a team :^D).

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nONLY_DRock
I just think the experienced STF'ers just don't get it.

The time wasting portions of the STF missions are NOT A CHALLENGE. They're there to punish you for making the slightest slip up. It's gotten to the point of being excessive.

Really, what's the point of clearing out all the borg drones each time the nodes puzzles fail in The Cure? Killing them over and over proves nothing. Despawn them so we can get to the puzzle sooner.

And what's the point of putting the respawn points so far away? We already know how to run.

I love the challenging portions. I like hopping around in Infected trying to avoid the floor. I liked trying to get the timing just right for the node puzzles in The Cure. I loved trying to keep the probes away from the portal in Khitomer. But if I get it wrong... I'm needlessly punished and it takes a 1 hour mission and turns it into a wasted afternoon.

The way these missions punish players just needs to be toned down a little. That's all.

The experienced STF'ers can have their challenging bits.

And the PuG's don't have to waste an afternoon clearing countless borg nests and running halfway across the map.

It's a win/win situation!
A few less tactical drones in the shield gate spawn, a few additional respawn points, and maybe 1 less shield gate would go a long way toward improving playability. Like I said, as it is I'm scarred for life.