Lt. Commander
# 21
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
This is just my humble little ol' opinion, but I simply do not like the STFs. There's nothing wrong with them that I can tell (I'm sure there are bugs and such but that's not my point), I just don't like them. I'm not saying that they don't have a place in the STO experience but I hope that the Dev's will add more "endgame" content for higher levels other then the STFs. I like the "simpler" one-man missions that I can hop on at my leisure and play when I feel like it. And I'm not talking about the "Dailies" like the Explore and Chart the B'Tran system. I mean new missions, especially since they're talking about increasing the level cap again. Keep the STFs. Create new STFs. But add other new content as well. Please.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
A few less tactical drones in the shield gate spawn, a few additional respawn points, and maybe 1 less shield gate would go a long way toward improving playability. Like I said, as it is I'm scarred for life.
Yup, changes like this would improve them. The way I see it, there are three main problems with STFs:

1. Too much filler/trash, not enough meat. Things like how many shield gates, how many generators, just how much trash there is Infected.

2. No attention paid to the learning curve. The simple fact is that STO does not encourage grouping. So when many players hit this content, it is a major obstacle. They just don't have a clue how to function as a team. Note that this isn't necessarily the fault of the first STF, but rather of the game as a whole. I'd like to see rewards for playing missions scale majorly based on team size, in a way similar to raising difficulty (higher drop rates, more xp per kill). Get people wanting to play in teams more often. Likewise, rework the rewards and improve the Fleet actions so people have a reason to do and will be more inclined to do them.

3. For end game content to work, it needs to encourage players to run it repeatedly. STFs fail in this regard. Before the borg set, there was no real reason to run the STFs. Currently, there is only a reason to run them once. In a universe where I can get purples in most slots easy with crafting and emblems, why bother to play the STFs?

The various ones reinforce each other as well. The first, for example, makes many people consider the missions to be less fun, which in turn means they are less inclined to run it repeatedly, so ties to number three. Because many people are not inclined to run them repeatedly, you wind up with less groups that consist of mostly experienced players, which impacts number two. Because number two gives many people bad experiences in STFs, they are less inclined to want to play them again.

So, the short of it, STFs are fail due to a combination of their own design, the loot system (that needs a major revamp, imo), and the lack of encouragement of group play throughout the game.

Difficulty, however, only really factors into the learning curve aspect. And that I blame mostly because earlier content doesn't encourage learning simple grouping lessons.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Perhaps I also have to agree with Axterix before me here about the whole teaming situation. My fleet is mostly made up of ex-military or current military so we know the importance of teams and their functionality. We came into this knowing that and reaped the benifit's of it.
Sadly I see so many new people just going on their own to do missions. So many who cant function as a team because they all have the mentality of if I do more DPS I dont need to worry about healing, or If I can heal I can be a tank. They will have to be the forst to realize I need to learn some more about all this or be left behind like the current situation with the STF's.
Im going to break this down the way I saw it. First off the comment about PUG's is totally untrue. If a PUG comes together and plans out the strategy instead of running in where angels fear to tread they will do alright or at least learn something for the next time. Always learn about the situation and what you can do to prepare for it. Try to team up whenever your doing something (could be more fun). And of course the thing I cant stress enough...Learn Learn Learn. Everything you do in the game is a learning experience. Sit back and look at a situation objectively, Identify Priority threats and targets and plan your attack before making it. Always take advantage of all of your teams powers and abilities. If your a medic move to the rear of the group and focus on healing not tanking...unless you have lots of experience with this. Always focus fire (Ever see an elite drone go down in 2 seconds flat?). Dual repel rifles works wonders for keeping borg off and away from you. And finally...Learn!!
Again I'm sorry that was long winded and I hope everyone understands what I was trying to say here. Thats my collections of tips for PUGers trying to do an STF. I hope they help at all. My last piece of advise would be to find a good fleet, one who does events together like the STF's to gain the knowledge and experience you need to do any mission sucessfully as part of a team. Perhaps you'll even take a second look at your BO's and how you use them on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwind
Perhaps I also have to agree with Axterix before me here about the whole teaming situation. My fleet is mostly made up of ex-military or current military so we know the importance of teams and their functionality. We came into this knowing that and reaped the benifit's of it.
Sadly I see so many new people just going on their own to do missions. So many who cant function as a team because they all have the mentality of if I do more DPS I dont need to worry about healing, or If I can heal I can be a tank. They will have to be the forst to realize I need to learn some more about all this or be left behind like the current situation with the STF's.
Im going to break this down the way I saw it. First off the comment about PUG's is totally untrue. If a PUG comes together and plans out the strategy instead of running in where angels fear to tread they will do alright or at least learn something for the next time. Always learn about the situation and what you can do to prepare for it. Try to team up whenever your doing something (could be more fun). And of course the thing I cant stress enough...Learn Learn Learn. Everything you do in the game is a learning experience. Sit back and look at a situation objectively, Identify Priority threats and targets and plan your attack before making it. Always take advantage of all of your teams powers and abilities. If your a medic move to the rear of the group and focus on healing not tanking...unless you have lots of experience with this. Always focus fire (Ever see an elite drone go down in 2 seconds flat?). Dual repel rifles works wonders for keeping borg off and away from you. And finally...Learn!!
Again I'm sorry that was long winded and I hope everyone understands what I was trying to say here. Thats my collections of tips for PUGers trying to do an STF. I hope they help at all. My last piece of advise would be to find a good fleet, one who does events together like the STF's to gain the knowledge and experience you need to do any mission sucessfully as part of a team. Perhaps you'll even take a second look at your BO's and how you use them on the ground.
I'm not trying to be rude but you're missing the point entirely. You're not the first person to write the same group-group-blah-blah on these forums in response to a legitimate complaint about STFs. The biggest misconception on these boards is that PUGs don't communicate or somehow a strategy fails to occur to them, which are both just plain wrong. There's just too much spawn/trash in the first place, specifically in The Cure.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm just a noob, but myself and a team from the fleet I joined attempted to do not only Infected but also The Big Dig. It wasn't "hard", but it was incredibly freaking frustrating. It was almost like World War I, where we literally fought hard and coordinated only to gain like a meter before we got overwhelmed and had to start over. I shouldn't have to feel like Napoleon or Hitler, to use an analogy, having waves thrown at me, waves of insanely fast and ridiculously overpowered Borg. Every time we were optimistic about moving forward, the Borg would shoot out their assimilation tubule and cause us to freeze, before having the health get sucked away.

And The Big Dig was somewhat the same, only this time it's Romulans and Remans instead of Borg, but again, wave after wave of these things.

So, no, it wasn't hard. Just incredibly frustrating and fun-sucking. I have yet to try an STF again.
Lt. Commander
# 26 Getting STF's together!
01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Having just had an hour of wasted time with 2 aborted attempts AGAIN, what the STFs need is a system like pvp where you can just register interest and it adds you to a team as soon as there are enough! Even in a fleet on 300 people, you can never get enough online at the same time! argh!
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipposoft View Post
Having just had an hour of wasted time with 2 aborted attempts AGAIN, what the STFs need is a system like pvp where you can just register interest and it adds you to a team as soon as there are enough! Even in a fleet on 300 people, you can never get enough online at the same time! argh!
Lol, if you didn't left my team, you would have completed this mission by now
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinnio View Post
Lol, if you didn't left my team, you would have completed this mission by now
QFT!

I completed "The Cure" yesterday with 3 other "noobs" and Davinnio as guide. Here again a huge thank you to you Davinnio. You led us through in a nice time ( 3 hours more or less ) and also provided explanation and feedback to our questions.
We would have been a lil faster but one member dropped out at the end before Armek of Borg so we had to finish this part and space part in the end with only 4 peeps. Still np. Carrier was down when the counter hit 25 mins.

So yeah thats the way to do it. Helpfull people here at the forums FTW!
Lt. Commander
# 29 no more
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
im sick of it between takeing for ever to find a group only to deal with ninjas leaves idiots and all around bad ppl ive had this game since i came out...have a lifetime subcript i wont take it anymore with those STF i cant get past freaken fact or fiction on infected and haveing to bed infacted to go further in and of itself is bull so no more i demade cryptic a single player version of these missons
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidarr View Post
Definitely have different experience in PuGs, most pugs i have had the misfortune of joining there are too many leaders, everyone knows what to do and everyone else is doing it wrong and all they do is whine and cry about the STFs being insanely hard while spamming autofire and throwing plasma grenades all over the instance.

That being said, our fleet helps people get thru this stuff and pug one of two often enough and it seems "individuals" joining a fleet for a run are more willing to pay attention and listen. And no, you don't need Vent, don't need TS3, GSC or skype.. you need common sense (a stopwatch helps for KA), something severely lacking in PUGS...
We had an impromptu group start doing The Cure the other night, at 11pm, finished it at four am, mostly players who never did it before, we had a great leader, but we made mistakes. It's all good, we still had fun.
Just killed the Boss as Cryptic started sending messages about taking down the servers for maintenance in twenty minutes! But we kept on pluggin away at the assimilated ship, with the clock literally counting down and made it with in minutes of Cryptic throwing the off switch. All in all, when the experience was over, yeah it was long, yeah we swore a lot, but we had a BLAST. We'll be singing the songs of that battle for a while and now a group of once strangers, have something to talk about when we come across each other in game.

Oh and Droid, I hope I wasn't one of those pugs of which you speak
I can tell you from experience Droid's runs are a great time and don't take as long as the night I spoke about !