Lt. Commander
One thing I have not got used to in this game is auto targeting on ground battles. So why not rid the game of it? Not just pvp but all ground battles. Star Trek TV is full of exciting ground battles. Duck and fire. It could add a hole new adventure Also it could level the playing field a bit. No longer in PVP the player with the best weapon will have a advantage. A more skilled and stealth player with a weak weapon could defeat him.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Oh riiiiiight because I love clicking the SAME ATTACK over and over and over and over. You don't like it? Turn it off. But keep it an OPTION.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I meant auto aiming.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-27-2010, 11:26 AM
So, what, like an FPS? There are no words in the English language strong enough to accurately convey the negative sentiment I am feeling toward your suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Marsh
One thing I have not got used to in this game is auto targeting on ground battles. So why not rid the game of it? Not just pvp but all ground battles. Star Trek TV is full of exciting ground battles. Duck and fire. It could add a hole new adventure Also it could level the playing field a bit. No longer in PVP the player with the best weapon will have a advantage. A more skilled and stealth player with a weak weapon could defeat him.
Turning it off would turn STO into an FPS/TPS which would not go over well. One thing about MMOs is that they tend to be more accessable to the physically handicapped due to the aiming/combat methods. Most don't do that and are damned hard for them to play. The current combat system is pretty egalitarian and allows access to people that can't manage an FPS/TPS.

Besides, the entire combat system would have to be revamped to handle that combat method. They are revamping it now but I don't think that is how they are doing it. It may be possible that they do something like what was done with SWG where there was more damage from being out of autotarget with far more frequent misses but that didn't work terribly well there either.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
My understanding is that the new option to turn autoaim off will be similar to what Champs uses where the game will decide the "best" target based on your facing and may allow you to shoot without a target if there's nothing close to being in the center of your view. I understand that can be fun for PvP and is a pretty good compromise between true FPS and having to mash tab.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
it would be fun if the game used a fps/tps combat system for ground. its what I thought ground combat was going to be like back in beta. Sadly that wasn't the case and still isn't or anything remotely close. they say is going to be fixed though. How so I cant say, but you combine crypticís round about way of doing things and trekkies hatred of anything new and irrational fear of change and well things donít bode well for the update.

either way they are making changes to it. Iím guessing/hoping it will fall more inline with champions that game can be switched between a tab system and a quasi fps/tps. no you canít miss by being to ahead or behind the targert but you pick your target by rolling your mouse over the guy you want to shoot. also you can switch between ftps and tps by just zooming in farther.

The other thing is thereís more they have to do then just fix the targeting to make it more like the shows and movies they have to take nerfís small arms contract away so our ground weapons will bring down targets in under a mellennia. They also have to fix the aiís so they donít just stand there out in the open or walk up to you and shoot you in the face hoping to put your eye out with a critical.

I think mostly they need to work on the aiís and controls though the pacing of combat is more a tweak thing up the damage or lower the cool down type thing. I wasn't around in alpha but I from what I understand what they were going for was much more in line with tps style game, it was just that people didn't like that so it was made into what we have now. I do see that with the current controls and poor ai and just faster combat the ground combat would have rendered the kits and bo ability's just about useless unless you set them up in advance. it will take a lot more work to get it all working well together and seamlessly so you could do it on the move. Games like global agenda make it work tabula rasa for all its many faults had a really great combat system I'd say one of the best I've seen in an mmo.

The boís I think is what makes it the hardest to get right. aiís in mmos are rather simplistic for the most part and are not really setup to fight each other well so you have to micro manage them the devs need to make them more independent in combat so that you have more time to keep yourself alive and in the fight rather then cursing the screen and having to tell your bo to not setup a wall right in front your turret or setup some mines 20 feet behind you rather between you and your enemies.

I'd also really like to see smarter mob aiís that come at you from a lot farther out. the whole I can see you and you can see me but I've not crossed the magical aggro range circle so the mobs will just stand there forever is just silly. I'd really like to see mobs do something when you got into visual range or them like take over and setup defences maybe rush you. It would be great if they had some tactics they could use something as simple as falling back or or taking cover would be great to see in the middle of combat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
There are tons of anti-twitch people on these boards simply because they couldn't at all handle it and refused to adapt despite the clearly better gameplay. Especially with the amount of older players this game seems to have. No offense to those older players but they more often won't be able to handle systems that require any amount of physical speed, aiming or anything like that.

Ideally I think a hybrid could work. There are certainly better options than the ground combat we currently have which isn't terrible, it's just not that great.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry Parallax, I AM indeed offended. I play all kinds of FPSs, and have no problem keeping up.

I don't want a more FPS experience in STO, though. I particularly enjoy watching my character shoot his weapon over his shoulder when the auto-targeted enemy is to the rear, and LOL when he throws a grenade over his head and behind.

If you do away with auto-targeting you are going to have to introduce more junk to hide behind, and the ability to crawl, and peep over/to the side. You are also going to have to completely rework the weapons selection and firing system - which could be either good or bad.

And I'm pretty sure that whatever it is they have on the drawing board, I will be able to adapt to it. We old folks ain't dead, yet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Marsh
No, thank you. It would turn ground combat into a FPS-alike.

Guess what? A FPS-alike MMO failed. Servers shut down and everything. Go see Tabula Rasa for what happens to MMOFPS.