Lt. Commander
# 11
12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
My understanding is that the new option to turn autoaim off will be similar to what Champs uses where the game will decide the "best" target based on your facing and may allow you to shoot without a target if there's nothing close to being in the center of your view. I understand that can be fun for PvP and is a pretty good compromise between true FPS and having to mash tab.
Yup, all the info from the devs about the ground revamp say the same thing. There will be an OPTION to manually aim and fire. While this is concerning, i'm not ready to jump onto the panic OMG FPS bandwagon. Until I see how it works.

But im with most folks who feel FPS's really don't mix well with MMO's
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
Yup, all the info from the devs about the ground revamp say the same thing. There will be an OPTION to manually aim and fire. While this is concerning, i'm not ready to jump onto the panic OMG FPS bandwagon. Until I see how it works.

Unless they make enemies take vastly fewer shots to down than currently, I can only imagine the FPS-like option making combat more tedious, not less.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd love a true FPS experience in this game, preferably third-person over-the-shoulder, like Gears of War, but less dependent on cover to, y'know, not die. Something like Halo with a GoW-esque cover system would be awesome, I think.

The problem is to make it not suck would require a complete and total overhaul of every mission ever. Less mobs, less hits to kill a mob to make up for lack of auto-hit, better cover mechanic, etc...

That said, I dare not force my view upon anyone, and will gladly settle with that system Cryptic is developing. FPS is simply the best fit for gun-based ground combat, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post

First I have no clue what FPS is. Im old I suppose. Look I grew up playing mulie player shooting games like Elite Force and EF 2. As well as Half Life. STO on ground seems to easy click on target then fire until dead Not saying the missions are easy! They are not. Infact ground is my weakest.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Marsh
First I have no clue what FPS is. Im old I suppose. Look I grew up playing mulie player shooting games like Elite Force and EF 2. As well as Half Life. STO on ground seems to easy click on target then fire until dead Not saying the missions are easy! They are not. Infact ground is my weakest.
FPS = First Person Shooter. If you've played Half Life, you've played an FPS.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaca
No, thank you. It would turn ground combat into a FPS-alike.

Guess what? A FPS-alike MMO failed. Servers shut down and everything. Go see Tabula Rasa for what happens to MMOFPS.
Or Check out World War Two Online or Planetside for some from around 2001 that are still operating.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
Or Check out World War Two Online or Planetside for some from around 2001 that are still operating.
Lovely odds there. A MMOFPS already failed. Very very few MMOs have failed to the point of shutting down. Turning this game into a MMOFPS will cost STO a not insignificant fraction of its' playerbase; not everyone but enough to hurt. Will turning it into a MMOFPS cause enough new players to subscribe to cover the lost players and actually increase the number of players? Maybe yes, maybe no. Is it worth the risk? I say no.

Adding combat options to ground combat that let it be more FPS like? I believe they are doing something like that already. Making said FPS like options superior to non-FPS like options? No, bad idea. Taking away the non-FPS like options? Over my dead subscription. If I wanted to play a FPS I'd play an actual FPS game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaca
Lovely odds there. A MMOFPS already failed. Very very few MMOs have failed to the point of shutting down. Turning this game into a MMOFPS will cost STO a not insignificant fraction of its' playerbase; not everyone but enough to hurt. Will turning it into a MMOFPS cause enough new players to subscribe to cover the lost players and actually increase the number of players? Maybe yes, maybe no. Is it worth the risk? I say no.

Adding combat options to ground combat that let it be more FPS like? I believe they are doing something like that already. Making said FPS like options superior to non-FPS like options? No, bad idea. Taking away the non-FPS like options? Over my dead subscription. If I wanted to play a FPS I'd play an actual FPS game.

like champions, STO has already failed. It will survive longer than Champions by virtue of its license and the fact it farms the few remaining players to the point of absurdity by making them double pay a subscription and for any good content via the C-store. One MMOFPS failed, all the others are still around, and much older than it. MMORPGs can an do fail and vanish from the net, I don't know what you are on. Play The Matrix Online, or Earth & Beyond lately?
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-27-2010, 09:18 PM
I do wish these threads would go away, every month or so a new one crops up trying to force the entire game into their particular mold of what a game should be. I have been playing FPS since DOOM and I still play CS, CS:S, COD, L4D etc ...

There is absolutely no need to change STO into an FPS, if you want an FPS, go play CS or something.

Hell, why not just turn STO into a full on flight sim requiring a HOTAS rig and TrackIR. I can play that game right now, but most can't. I would also like to know what you would intend on doing with those players that do not have full muscle control, palsy, MS, or any other physically limiting disability? Planning on throwing them under the bus?

Modify the existing combat system sure, but leave it as accessable as possible to the broadest possible group without dumbing it down.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I wanna dual wield full auto cannons and have the last standing perk WITH martyrdom. WITH the ability to qs my sniper rifle and 1 hit kill an enemy. I also support star trek noob tube. NO DUAL NOOB TUBES!