Lt. Commander
# 1 just curious
12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
do you think they will ever make this game interesting to the strategy gamer ? ,

i know its basicly an RPG but seems like there has been no attempt as yet to introduce a strategic level to the play . i find that odd considering the great games this IP has spawned , SFC , birth of the federation , dominion wars (not so good lol ) . and some others that are clearly thinking mans games . seems this game is stuck with a World of ******** in space mentallity that kinda demeans the star trek name tbh .

there are games out there that are classed as RPG but have strong strategy elements (mount and blade ) as an example there are others .this game is very very uninterresting to anyone who wants to do more than gear grind . best part of the game is actually leveling through the story line but after that there is zero to do =(

i try to keep faith that there will be something better in the future , but it dosent look good =/ .

canmore
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
If you want strategy then go buy Star Trek: Armada II
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
STO is a MMO. MMO do not handle Strategy very well unless they are built from the ground up to do so, and don't have anything resembling an avatar\character. I'm rather certain you are going to continue being disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaca
STO is a MMO. MMO do not handle Strategy very well unless they are built from the ground up to do so, and don't have anything resembling an avatar\character. I'm rather certain you are going to continue being disappointed.
Ever heard of Eve Online?

I support the OP. As an Admiral why can't I own my own station and manage day to day operations? Why can't I open a store, sell supplies? Have my own branch of Starfleet? Hmm? HMM??? But sadly I don't think we'll ever see this kind of depth in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikahn

I support the OP. As an Admiral why can't I own my own station and manage day to day operations? Why can't I open a store, sell supplies? Have my own branch of Starfleet? Hmm? HMM??? But sadly I don't think we'll ever see this kind of depth in STO.
You are trying to compare a sandbox MMO to a more regular MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Quote:

Semantics is everything...

You cannot own a station if you are serving Starfleet (or KDF). You could command one but not own one. You cannot open a store and sell anything because, again, you are serving in a military organization. As long as you serve you cannot do anything but serve. An individual cannot have a branch of a military organization. Branches are run by counsel like structures.

That kind of depth can be had in STO. All they need to do is recognize that there are tens of thousands of people who do and do not play STO who are interested in noncombat class game play and provide that. It is very possible but also very intensive to develop. It is a needed addition that WOULD bring a ton more players to STO.

As far as the OP goes, if you are talking about something akin to an RTS it will never happen in STO. It is not that kind of game. As someone already said, STO was built as a MMORPG. To make it more RTS like the game would have to be reprogrammed from base-code up. You are talking about making a brand new game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Semantics is fun.

We do have some RTS elements in that we can order around our BOs on the ground.
Tell them where to go and who to attack and which skills to use.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:

I think managing a fleet would be great.

However, managing your own "branch" of Starfleet or running a store as a Starfleet Captain just wouldn't fit the IP's fiction at all.

When you use a licensed product, you find content that fits the IP - not the other way around. Take a note from Batman: Arkham Asylum. The game fit the IP - rather than shoehorning the IP into a game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Not gonna happen.

STO is an MMORPG (just). You could count one hand the number of MMO's incorporating grand strategy (I can think of only WW2 Online as a good example), and that's not what STO is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn

You cannot own a station if you are serving Starfleet (or KDF). You could command one but not own one. You cannot open a store and sell anything because, again, you are serving in a military organization. As long as you serve you cannot do anything but serve. An individual cannot have a branch of a military organization. Branches are run by counsel like structures.

That kind of depth can be had in STO. All they need to do is recognize that there are tens of thousands of people who do and do not play STO who are interested in noncombat class game play and provide that. It is very possible but also very intensive to develop. It is a needed addition that WOULD bring a ton more players to STO.

As far as the OP goes, if you are talking about something akin to an RTS it will never happen in STO. It is not that kind of game. As someone already said, STO was built as a MMORPG. To make it more RTS like the game would have to be reprogrammed from base-code up. You are talking about making a brand new game.
Yeah I'm talking about commanding a station. Branches may be run by some counsels but there is a Commandant of the Marine Corps, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Chief of Staff of the Army and Chief of Naval Operations who are ultimately responsible for their specific branch. Yes they make up the Joint Chiefs of Staff which is a board or counsel, but the positions still exist. Besides if Lt's, Lt Com, Capt's have their own ship shouldn't Admiral's have fleets then? Cuz I'm still taking orders from Capt's and Lt's and only flying one dinky ship.