Lt. Commander
Frustrating how everyone wants Chronometric Particle Traces to craft weapons yet the drop rates are VERY rare and thus they cost a mint on the Exchange. I have been farming off and on for days and haven't had one Chronometric Particle Trace drop at all thus I cannot craft any Mk XI weapons for my captains.

I understand requiring Trace particles for the Crafting items but does it have to be specific trace particles? Why not just any Trace particle since they are so rare already to drop. Or, why not a Memory Alpha vendor where you can trade two of one type of Trace particle in exchange for 1 of the Trace particle you want?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Cmon are you serious? By the time you typed all that out you could of farmed one. Yea they're overpriced, so I went out and got them. Do they take a while? Sure, but that's what makes them blue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
For pities sake, can folks at least look before posting. This was still on the first page only 4 posts down.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195157

Yeesh people
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry to have annoyed both of you. Thanks for your useful replies.

I am hoping to start a discussion on how Trace Particles could be reworked. I think the concept of a Vendor for trading of particles is a viable option especially for those of us who are more casual players and don't have hours and hours to devote to farming for a single type of particle trace.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes lets turn another aspect of STO into carebear mode lets just make all traces available from vendors for a 1000 ec............Seriously somethings need to be earned and i might add a few other traces are worth as much as chronometric so u could sell those and buy chronometric.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsloan View Post
I am hoping to start a discussion on how Trace Particles could be reworked. I think the concept of a Vendor for trading of particles is a viable option especially for those of us who are more casual players and don't have hours and hours to devote to farming for a single type of particle trace.
Then sell the particle traces you aren't using, use those energy credits to buy the particle traces you are using. There. Problem solved. If you have insufficient energy credits, sell your unused (tier 1) common data samples; selling for about 10k per today. If you continue to have insufficient energy credits, try buying the gear you want right off the exchange -- they are usually cheaper than the material costs.

Yes, this takes time. Yes, you may not feel you have enough time to get all the stuff you want as fast as you want it. MMOs reward time invested. Accept the rewards you earn for your time, or invest more time for more rewards.

Simple easy choices.

TL;DR -- This too shall pass. Don't stress over this spike in demand that exceeds supply. It gets better.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Sorry to have annoyed both of you. Thanks for your useful replies.

I know it seems like were harping on you, I just don't agree. I can see that you're trying to add to the game by providing alternate methods. Everyone pretty much has the best gear ( I don't yet) so I figure the longer you prospone that the better...
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I have 6 of them... got all six doing a Klingon mission, wasnt even looking for them... dont seem all that rare to me...

In any case, farming them gives you something to do, something to look forward to (the gear youll get). Its like that in most mmos...
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaca
Yes, this takes time. Yes, you may not feel you have enough time to get all the stuff you want as fast as you want it. MMOs reward time invested. Accept the rewards you earn for your time, or invest more time for more rewards.
Trust me I understand the MMO model of delayed gratification and time necessary. I have maxed characters in three other MMOs over the years and now STO is my world of choice. I am not expecting it to be fast, I understand the options of the Exchange and trading with others. I also realize I can continue to farm them until I get them or just decide not to craft those weapons thus not having the best equipment in the game.

I am trying to help the developers find balance in the new crafting system. Chronometric Particle Traces have become one of THE items to have because of needing them for the Mark XI weapons and Aegis. Add this high demand with a low supply and you get inordinately high pricing in the Exchange, people asking crazy trade options in chat, and frustrated players in the game. I am suggesting potential balance options. Allow alternate Particle Traces or a vendor with standard trade values (could even be high such as 5 to 1 but a known quantity you can work toward). STO is definitely designed to be casual player friendly unlike many other MMOs. With that in mind, having alternatives to succeed in the game besides the whim of Exchange pricing seems a viable option to keep tihs game popular and growing in subscriber numbers.

If you all are willing to discuss ways to make Crafting even better and well balanced, then I am all for that. If you prefer to shoot down any ideas other players may have regarding this game, then these forums are going to degrade to a non-useful area that the developers will no longer frequent. . Lets continue to make STO great. We have amazing developers willing to listen to our ideas and implement many of them. They can't do that if they don't hear our ideas. They won't hear our ideas if they begin to ignore the forums because of flames or disrespectful conversations.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
I am trying to help the developers find balance in the new crafting system. Chronometric Particle Traces have become one of THE items to have because of needing them for the Mark XI weapons and Aegis.
How much more balanced can pure randomness be?

And chronometric particles are no more in demand that any other. Sure chromo make Beam Arrays.
But Dual Beam Banks need Metreon. Dual Heavy Cannons need Antithoron. In fact every weapon type needs its own trace. Seems fairly balanced to me.

And Aegis needs 9 of the 10 traces to make a full set. Its hardly favoring any one single type of trace.