Lt. Commander
# 11
12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
Well, yes. But I see it as blacked out because you don't see what is actually out there, like in sector space or in system space. I would think eventually Cryptic will allow you to see what is actually out there. It should be possible it was done in SWG Jump to Lightspeed in 2004.

But that is just a minor thing of many great things that can be done with ship interiors.
It's possible but remember that player avatars and ship avatars are built the same size in STO. The really big models you saw outside ESD once are actually just that - really big versions of models.

To do the ship exteriors like that, they'd need to radically redo art assets to fit that view - something very time consuming for little reward.

Most likely, they'll all unique skyboxes for major systems. That seems like the only way to realistically handle it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's possible but remember that player avatars and ship avatars are built the same size in STO. The really big models you saw outside ESD once are actually just that - really big versions of models.

To do the ship exteriors like that, they'd need to radically redo art assets to fit that view - something very time consuming for little reward.

Most likely, they'll all unique skyboxes for major systems. That seems like the only way to realistically handle it.
I think they could handle it. The engine that is. Maybe they fully intend to do this once ship interiors truly come alive in 2011 or 2012.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
I think they could handle it. The engine that is. Maybe they fully intend to do this once ship interiors truly come alive in 2011 or 2012.
I think that option is possible - just time consuming (as in majorly so). Chances are, they'll just add skyboxes outside ship windows for each system. I't's easier and won't require grinding all other art asset production to a halt.

Personally, I'm hoping for more content in ship interiors: things like minigames, missions, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I thought one of them looked familiar.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
I think that option is possible - just time consuming (as in majorly so). Chances are, they'll just add skyboxes outside ship windows for each system. I't's easier and won't require grinding all other art asset production to a halt.

Personally, I'm hoping for more content in ship interiors: things like minigames, missions, etc.
Missions and minigames for ship interiors was definitely something mentioned as goals by Cryptic to get done sometime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Missions and minigames for ship interiors was definitely something mentioned as goals by Cryptic to get done sometime soon.
I seem to recall those goals being for season 6 or 7 though there is no real rush on adding to, or altering the existing ship's interiors until we can actually do something with them. I would personally love to be able to decorate my own cabin and have my own kitch on my readyroom desk eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
I seem to recall those goals being for season 6 or 7 though there is no real rush on adding to, or altering the existing ship's interiors until we can actually do something with them. I would personally love to be able to decorate my own cabin and have my own kitch on my readyroom desk eventually.
Waiting until season 6 or 7 would mean at least another year. That seems quite a stretch. I would think ship interiors are higher priority than letting it castgate in it's state for that long. Currently ship interiors are little more than a placeholder until they are brought to life.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Waiting until season 6 or 7 would mean at least another year. That seems quite a stretch. I would think ship interiors are higher priority than letting it castgate in it's state for that long. Currently ship interiors are little more than a placeholder until they are brought to life.
Well, I am fairly sure they won't be in season 4 so the earliest I think we can expect them realistically is season 5. I know they are being worked on and the dev team is very good at surprising us with their work so it is possible.

Just saying what I recall from an earlier discussion though so take it with a grain of salt
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
Well, I am fairly sure they won't be in season 4 so the earliest I think we can expect them realistically is season 5. I know they are being worked on and the dev team is very good at surprising us with their work so it is possible.

Just saying what I recall from an earlier discussion though so take it with a grain of salt
Season 5 is cool with me to update ship interiors....that should be 5-6 months from now..I can wait for that.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
We'll definitely be making more improvements to your starship's interiors over time. There's a lot of possibility there, and we want to tap into as much of it as possible.

Thanks,

Stormshade