Login

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 191
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm calling it. This is bull crap. 9 is traced. Tracing takes no skill and shouldn't be allowed. I gave 9 the benefit of the doubt then Bishop7676 gave us those pictures.

5 has a barely edited photograph of a Borg Cube.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../CubeStuff.gif

8 is traced. If tracing is allowed I'd still call bull. I spent FOREVER working on a fully original art piece.
Animated gif wait for it to load both frames.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Expression.gif
I'm pretty sure that scene to the left is traced too.

9 is also traced. Everyone keeps complimenting his work but it stacks up PERFECTLY. Unless he's the best freehander in the world this is 100% traced. Frames 1 and 3, probably 2 also.
Animated gif wait for it to load both frames.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...PicardFace.gif

I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect to ANY of the workers at Cryptic or ANY of the users here. Even that one who is lying about number 9.

But I can't NOT bring this up.

Maybe tracing is allowed. I don't think it should be. I don't think it even is. I might be wrong. I hope not.
Lt. Commander
# 192
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7676 View Post
You know, I did suspect it was traced or otherwise generated from a photographic scene. I just felt I couldn't be bothered to look for the exact scene it would have been taken from... but apparently you could, so thanks. The Enterprise scenes are a bit off, but the Picard scenes almost look identical. It didn't have to be traced manually, either; in Paint.net, a new layer, the paint bucket, and the magic-wand selection tool could accomplish something like that. I will try to replicate it automatically, and I will let you know how it turns out.
Lt. Commander
# 193
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I would like to see one of the Devs respond to our objections.
That way, we can stop agueing about this or that.
Lt. Commander
# 194
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
1, 3 and 6 are the only ones that combine acceptable art with an actual story arc in coherent english.
I would have voted 10 had it not been for the art. And 9, it's "you're" not "your".
Lt. Commander
# 195
05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm sending a PM. I think it would mean more coming from someone who WASN'T in the competition though. Here's the contents of my PM to Rekhan:

So if someone else sent something like this you'd obviously take out the parts that can only pertain to me (unless you're one of the other 9 finalists).

--------------------------------------------------------

I really hate to bother you about this. Serioiusly, I wish I could leave it alone.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the rules. I'm sorry to bring this up. I know you guys at Cryptic work very hard. I mean NO disrespect. I cannot emphasize this enough. I want to magically be able to say this without sounding whiny or complainy or that I'm just trying to get rid of competition in the comic contest.

I appreciate for being considered for the top 10. I really do.

Now on to the stuff I'm concerned about.

Basically I was under the impression (I could be wrong, if so please tell me) that we couldn't use photos or other copyrighted pictures in our comics. I would assume (again, I could be wrong) that this would include the possible fact that you couldn't trace with vectors, a pen tool or something else these same images.

Here's Comic Number 5:
It uses a slightly edited photograph of a Borg Cube for it's comic. Straight from TV as far as I can tell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../CubeStuff.gif

Here's Comic Number 8:
It traced Janeway from a well known photograph of here. I'm suspicious of the scene to the left of Janeway but don't have anything yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Expression.gif
It's an ANIMATED GIF so wait for the second frame to load.

Here's Comic Number 9:
It traced Picard (and probably the other two frames).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...PicardFace.gif
It's an ANIMATED GIF so wait for the second frame to load.

Basically my thoughts are also if some of those comics are traced from official photographs and scenes it's likely most or all of those same comics are (just 5, 8 and 9).

Again, I'm sorry about even having to mention this. I like you guys and don't mean any ill intent or anything to you. I've just got concerns about the legitimacy of 3 of the 10 comics.

Don't hate me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lt. Commander
# 196
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feadother View Post
I would like to see one of the Devs respond to our objections.
That way, we can stop agueing about this or that.
Agreed. I think it would be beneficial to all who have voted, been voted on, and have entered this contest. Whether or not those pictures were traced is up for debate (my own personal belief is take people at their word) but the whole issue could be resolved if Cryptic gave us a little time.

Here are the problems I have seen in a quick run through of the thread:
1) Why did you chose to go from the original 20 to 10 format. Speaking personally, I would have loved the opportunity to view more, as the few I have seen that did not male the cut have been very good.
2) Is simple modification of a picture (ie: tracing, paint.net fills, etc) enough to be entered in spite of rules that have been interpreted as otherwise? Have these rules been misinterpreted?
3) What happened to the rule stating only the last entry received by any one participant would be accepted. That was proven not to be the case when 2 pieces from one participant were accepted into the top 10.(later adjusted)

With these questioned answered, this thread will become what it should be, a place where we enjoy some great works...

...I'm so tired of the fussin' and a fightin'
Lt. Commander
# 197
05-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, there will probably be a response of "they're okay" because at this point we might be too far into the contest to change anything.

And there's NO WAY that 9 isn't traced lol. It's spot on exact. Heck, it might even be filtered with photoshop filters or even just edited WITHOUT tracing it's so exact. That's even worse. :p
So 9 might not be traced but if it's not it's just edited with filters or something like that which IS against the rules. Calling it traced might be wrong but if it's not it's an edited picture.

I'm going to go watch Star Trek for a third time now. yay!
Lt. Commander
# 198
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samodelkin View Post
It didn't have to be traced manually, either; in Paint.net, a new layer, the paint bucket, and the magic-wand selection tool could accomplish something like that. I will try to replicate it automatically, and I will let you know how it turns out.
Okay, I have some results... or lack thereof, however you wish to perceive it. So, here's the original picture:
Original one
Here is my first attempt at auto-tracing it:
First Attempt
Kinda looks like someone from Star Wars rather than Star Trek. I figured I didn't have to finish this one. Next, the second attempt:
Second Attempt
It looks more like a comic book, but I still couldn't get it to make the thin black outlines. Maybe some program other than Paint.net has a feature like that, or maybe it's the product of multiple features combined, or maybe it really was traced manually, maybe not traced, or maybe a combination thereof. So anyway, then I got bored and made this:
Not an attempt
As you can see, I have a short attention span.
Lt. Commander
# 199
05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I picked the last one because the "red shirt" comment did make me chuckle. None of the rest were very good at all. And how exactly could Data take over the captain's chair when he, um, DIED in ST: Nemesis? Maybe they can run this contest again in a year...if these were the best ten, I'm glad we didn't see the others.
Lt. Commander
# 200
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Hey lo,
Thanks for sending this my way. I've been monitoring the thread, and I'm inclined to err on the side of honesty for this. Folks are saying they used images as reference points, and I think it's best to take them at their word.

-R
Well, I understand that response. Of course I don't agree at all lol.
Closed Thread