Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
12-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Oh this thread again.
Ok here we go. You can make the best possible captain in the game by making an alien and picking all four of your traits. There is no race in the c-store that makes a better captain right now. And the top end ships in there also give no advantage, trading one BO slot off for another is a gimmick not an advantage. With out a gimmick they aren't ships they are just skins.

You don't like the store, don't buy from it. You feel cheated that the store exists, stop paying your monthly sub.

Except, of course, for those of us who can't stop paying our monthly subs and are still feeling cheated.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
Except, of course, for those of us who can't stop paying our monthly subs and are still feeling cheated.
I can't speak for the people who got an LTS before launch. But when I got mine back in March I figured there was about 100 different ways to get totally screwed on the deal. The main worry I had was the game tanking in the first 6 months. I thought to myself it was a stupid idea to toss that much cash at a game and when it blew up in my face I would have no one to blame but myself because I knew better. So far I've been surprised how long I've been able to play this game and still have fun with it.

I guess my point is any one that got a Life Time Sub early on was taking a big risk based solely on the word of people who were trying to sell you something. Never a bright idea. Hell, my wife thought I was out of my mind.

I don't mind the C-store. I don't feel cheated because the game I paid for 9 months ago is still here to play and it looks like it still will be in 9 more months when I break even on the deal. Sure I think it might be neat to fly a Galaxy-X around sometimes, but I'm just not going to pay 25 bucks for a slightly different ship. And still somehow I sleep like a baby.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
I can't speak for the people who got an LTS before launch. But when I got mine back in March I figured there was about 100 different ways to get totally screwed on the deal. The main worry I had was the game tanking in the first 6 months. I thought to myself it was a stupid idea to toss that much cash at a game and when it blew up in my face I would have no one to blame but myself because I knew better. So far I've been surprised how long I've been able to play this game and still have fun with it.

I guess my point is any one that got a Life Time Sub early on was taking a big risk based solely on the word of people who were trying to sell you something. Never a bright idea. Hell, my wife thought I was out of my mind.

I don't mind the C-store. I don't feel cheated because the game I paid for 9 months ago is still here to play and it looks like it still will be in 9 more months when I break even on the deal. Sure I think it might be neat to fly a Galaxy-X around sometimes, but I'm just not going to pay 25 bucks for a slightly different ship. And still somehow I sleep like a baby.
Yeah, it was a bit different at launch. I knew there were a hundred ways to get screwed on the deal, Cryptic found a 101st way though since my due diligence research before buying had claims that they didn't follow through with or retract.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Well let's see...

I have:
Caitians
TOS Enterprise preorder with the blue phasers
Best buy tribble
TOS Uniforms
TOS Mirror Universe Uniforms
Ent Mirror Universe Uniforms
Tribble of Borg
Fluidic Space Tribble
Tribble Shuttle pet
NX-Registry prefix
Vorcha Ship Costume
Tamarian Envoy Title
Crash Test Tribble Title
Targ Pet
Maelstrom Ship Costume
WoK open/close Uniform

Umm, I think thats about it...
Only about half of those things I actually paid points for... the rest were free, or I got for testing on Tribble.

Freakin LOVE the new shuttle and Ent Mirror costumes! Worth EVERY penny.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I did end up canceling my sub, just playing till the time expires. However, it doesn't really matter in the long run. Having to pay for Extra Bridge officers is something that while it is a very good idea, also very cheap, is unbalanced. It forced people who want to be more flexible to pay extea money for them. And while you are 100% correct that having different bridge officers on a ship is really just a gimmick, there are reasons why you would want 3 engineering officers on a ship, and there is no way at that rank to get a ship with that specifications without having to pay for it. This issue is that fact that our monthly subscription is not enough for them to get us access to content of the game. Especially items that change how you play the game. This is what I am fighting about. We should not have to spend money beyond our monthly subscription (with the exclusion of expansion packs) for content that they have already created for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrunning View Post
This issue is that fact that our monthly subscription is not enough for them to get us access to content of the game. Especially items that change how you play the game. This is what I am fighting about. We should not have to spend money beyond our monthly subscription (with the exclusion of expansion packs) for content that they have already created for the game.
I would guess this is just a mind set issue. Everyone that is upset about the store seems more then willing to drop 40-60 bucks on an expansion pack once a year. Even though it may or may not be filled with content you don't care about. You could look at the store as building your own expansion and only getting the things you want. I've spent $25 on points for the store in the last 9 months and I still have about 300 or so left over. I'll take that over an expansion pack with a bunch of ships I don't want to use any day.

On a side note I'm seeing a lot of people upset about this that have joined with in the last 4 or 5 months. This is what I don't get. You don't like being nickled and dimed but you also can't be bothered to read a review about a game before you buy it? The C-store is no secret. It's not going away. As long as this game runs it is going to be here, and if that upsets enough people that the game dies so be it. Crying about it isn't going to change anything. Nor is making a new thread with the same old complaints every time something new hits the store.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Changing the World?
01-02-2011, 11:42 PM
The only way to get something changed is to fight for it. I would rather make the fight and lose, than not make the fight at all. If you don't believe it, look at all the player-based changes that HAVE happened. More Klingon Missions, "better" sector space,new content and retooling of the PVP experience. I am sure that a few of those might not been fixed if the community didn't voice an opinion.

Yes, I can see where you could "create your own expansion" However, if you think about it, thats rather expensive. As I said before, to buy everything in the C-Store at the 20% would cost more than $150. So if I wanted a complete expansion, that would be a lot of money.

While I am just one voice, I am sure there are other people who believe that a change is in order. We all have different views, its natural, however, the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Some of you do not think that changes are needed, but, I am sure some of us are, and if we continue to make light of the issue, maybe there will be some type of investigation into the issue, and see if a change is needed.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrunning View Post
The only way to get something changed is to fight for it. I would rather make the fight and lose, than not make the fight at all. If you don't believe it, look at all the player-based changes that HAVE happened. More Klingon Missions, "better" sector space,new content and retooling of the PVP experience. I am sure that a few of those might not been fixed if the community didn't voice an opinion.

Yes, I can see where you could "create your own expansion" However, if you think about it, thats rather expensive. As I said before, to buy everything in the C-Store at the 20% would cost more than $150. So if I wanted a complete expansion, that would be a lot of money.

While I am just one voice, I am sure there are other people who believe that a change is in order. We all have different views, its natural, however, the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Some of you do not think that changes are needed, but, I am sure some of us are, and if we continue to make light of the issue, maybe there will be some type of investigation into the issue, and see if a change is needed.
Yes it would be a lot of money to buy everything. The point I was making is that it works out to be less expensive if you don't want all this crap. Like the races, really how many characters do most people make? Do you really need all the races unlocked?

Also as long as they are making money on the C-store there will be no change in how it operates. They are not going to elect to make less money because some people's feelings are hurt. They will elect to charge less money if no one is buying at the prices they are asking. I don't see that happening since there were people willing to buy 5 copys of the game and 5 active subs just to get the Galaxy X before it hit the C-Store.

It would seem for every person that says 25 bucks is to much for a ship there are twenty that just fork over the money the second the thing is available.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
The issue with the C-store is one of principle. There's plenty of so-called 'free' games with item stores. These item stores are filled with crap you need/give you a significant edge. That's all well and good because let's face it, you're not paying the developers a monthly subscription but they still need to eat.
Then there's paid MMOs that have paid services and items that don't actually affect gameplay. Server transfers, name changes, and yes occasionally coolio skins. All aesthetic, all well and good.

But then there's people like Cryptic and since The Burning Crusade, Blizzard. They want to have their cake and eat it to. And the cake is made of your money. The reason most people are OK with paying a monthly fee that exceed the price of an average game after the four-month mark is because it offers three services, three terms that were wordlessly agreed to when making an MMO not too long ago:

1. Community. I, personally, hate people. The first thing I did was set my auto-group off and made myself visible only to in-game friends (Of which I have none). But I still like knowing that there's a community happening around me that I can occasionally take part in when shopping on the exchange, hanging out in the Great Hall, or just cruising through a zone enveloped in a flame war. Or blow up in PvP.
2. Fine tuning. Beyond just bug fixing, fine tuning means focusing on already present content and making it better. Single player games do do this to an extent with their patches, but that's only good for a month or two after release and is usually much more limited than what most MMO developers do.
3. New content. Sure after a few months you could have just bought a new game with that money, but because the developers are constantly adding new stuff to do you'll get more than your money's worth in sheer playable hours.

In my mind, what Cryptic does (Item store in a paid MMO) isn't as bad as what Blizzard does (Charge for expansions). Cryptic violates the third term only partially because they're assigning resources to make gameplay-relevant things like the Guramba Siege Destroyer that I can't get without either A) Buying or B) Wait until it can be purchased in game with a token (Assuming it will be able to) and leveling up a new character specifically for that. Blizzard violates the third term entirely (Want new content? $60 please) and the second one partially (We are far too busy fine-tuning our new expansion content to upgrade the old stuff).

What Cryptic does is the lesser of two evils, yes, but in this scenario there's a third option we've been given less and less: They take our $15 every month, we get all three. EVE Online still does this because it's just about awesome in every way (As long as you're willing to overlook the PvE content being one big grind fest), but most developers seem to realize that since MMOs are a huge freaking deal to start up they can do whatever they want and not worry about a few rogue programmers getting together and making their own MMO 'by the people, for the people!'. And honestly, I can't think of a single game that's released a paid expansion within the first year, so Cryptic still has time.

True, we could all pull our subscriptions. If everyone who wants the C-Store to go pulled out they'd lose about two-thirds of their user base. The issue is that it would take most of that number for things to change to change and most players aren't willing to leave the only Star Trek MMO on the planet indefinitely unless they have a guarantee that Cryptic will change their minds, or at least that half of the player base is going to join them.

'Voting with our wallets' is a nice ideal, but its inherently not feasible. '*****ing on the forums' is less idealistic and less effective, but also a whole lot more likely to be successfully implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't see marketing ever letting principle get in the way of profit, they seem to do whatever they want with no restrictions whatever.