Lt. Commander
# 1 Infinite Cryptic Points
12-29-2010, 02:53 PM
People who play MMOs tend to be budget conscious (but not necessarily cheap) when it comes to entertainment. They like having a hardcap on how much they'll have to spend for their hobby and invest in a single game as opposed to many games.

With that in mind, I think it would do a lot to offset anxiety to sell buffet passes to the C-Store. It provides people with a cap as to what they'll be asked to spend. I've been saying this since STO Beta but maybe not quite loud enough and maybe it didn't have the same impact before the addition of a few expensive items like the Galaxy-X and the Garumba.

I've spent maybe around $50-75 on the C-Store. But I would drop a lump sum to know that I have blanket access, that there will never be an item that I suddenly want to budget for. And for people who feel milked by C-Store systems, it at least gives them a flat amount to budget for that they know is enough.

I strongly believe in the idea of "Infinite Cryptic Point" passes, either annually or on a lifetime basis. I would drop $100 for a year or maybe $200-250 for a lifetime pass just to know there won't be anything I have to budget for later.

With Champions going FTP and offering Cryptic Points to subscribers, they actually have the tech to lock Cryptic Points to a single game account. (Ie. the free points there can't be spent in STO, they've told us.) Moreover, if there's even a chance STO would adopt Champions' model, it's very likely that it would take a very long time before a lifetime "Infinite Cryptic Points" pass would pay itself off.

But I would still do it, no regrets, even if there was the possibility I'd get some free Cryptic Points every month as a subscriber. Why? Peace of mind. The ability to budget for everything I want at a flat and fixed rate; heck, that's why I went lifetime to begin with.

You could even have the proviso that expansions or adventure packs and account services (renames and respec tokens) are excluded from that offer. Those are things I can budget around or even earn in-game for the most part.

But speaking as someone who has, a couple of brief times, regretted his lifetime purchase, I would STILL happily part with a one time blanket sum so that I didn't have to even think about budgeting for unexpected C-Store expenses and to have a concrete amount set on how much I'd spend for the game, even if it's more than I'd spend otherwise in any reasonable timeframe.

What do the rest of you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-29-2010, 02:57 PM
If it was pro-rated for existing purchases, I would probably be tempted, otherwise no.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a feeling that within the next year STO will probably be going F2P. And assuming it follows the Champs model, people with monthly(and LT) subs will get a monthly stipend of points that they can save up and spent on whatever they like.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I have a feeling that within the next year STO will probably be going F2P. And assuming it follows the Champs model, people with monthly(and LT) subs will get a monthly stipend of points that they can save up and spent on whatever they like.
I have the same feeling that STO will be going with the freemium model as well. I have some mixed feelings about that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
If it was pro-rated for existing purchases, I would probably be tempted, otherwise no.
I agree with this statement.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
And I think that would be great. Personally, I think that the odds work well in that regard since Champs is going FTP opposite DCU Online. STO will be about the same age in its life cycle when it goes up against SWTOR and Infinite Space.

I think it's a great model. I hope STO adopts it.

I'd still like the peace of mind of a flat fee for C-Points, even knowing that if STO adopted the Champs model, it would probably take a long time to pay itself off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
And I think that would be great. Personally, I think that the odds work well in that regard since Champs is going FTP opposite DCU Online. STO will be about the same age in its life cycle when it goes up against SWTOR and Infinite Space.

I think it's a great model. I hope STO adopts it.

I'd still like the peace of mind of a flat fee for C-Points, even knowing that if STO adopted the Champs model, it would probably take a long time to pay itself off.
You would rather spend a bunch of money rather than get free C-points? LOL ok
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Lord of the Rings online has something like this for the lifetimers. IF you have a lifetime subscription, you are allocated their version of C-Store points each month (500, I think). Cryptic might be able to do the same, but let's face it, the lifers are likely the ones buying all the stuff on the CStore anyway, so they'd end up losing money.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
You would rather spend a bunch of money than get free C-points? LOL ok
I think the comment's more about making sure they get what they want. Nowadays it pays to be clear about these things before any form of valuable compensation is thrown around on both sides.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I doubt this would happen.

A stipend would likely occur after a Hybrid model is adopted but STO is making enough revenue to not do that right now - which means that reducing revenue intake is unlike (it's been nearly a year and I know I've spent nearly 60 in the store between all the different purchases - and I refuse to pay $15+ for a ship).