Lt. Commander
# 1 Rise and Shiny Checks out STO
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Massively's Beau Hindman gave Star Trek Online a new look this past week. Check out his impressions here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Fair Impression. and he did high light improvement we plays spend days on forum suggesting them and good thing Cryptic did listen

His ground combat is so hilarous
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2011, 01:34 PM
well the opinion of the article i agree with everything. awesome game moving in right direction. came along way. space graphics are second to none. the problems are as everyone knows the bugs. some been here since launch others since season 2 some came with season 3. these need to be done to make this game greater then it is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice article, and I'm glad Beau enjoyed his re-visit to STO. His comments (especially about the long-standing bugs) are spot-on in my opinion, and it's good to see some positive comments in the gaming community about this game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice reading, i'm happy he had a good time playing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Too bad thats not an actual review with a rating, because that would help bring up STO's average on metacritic or the game's own review page.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Ground Combat
01-11-2011, 12:13 AM
"Ground combat in particular can feel very clumsy and unsatisfying."

Nailed it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I wonder if he would have felt the same way had he played a Klingon character. Somehow, I doubt it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
I wonder if he would have felt the same way had he played a Klingon character. Somehow, I doubt it.
That's highly doubtful. Klingons were intended to be a fully featured faction at some point; the original STO team realized that it was unrealistic to produce two fully featured player factions, and so they chose to make Klingons like some version of LOTRO's Monster Play.

There has been enough outcry and QQ on the forums about the Klingon faction that the STO team is working on making Klingons a fully featured player faction.

Having been a game designer, I do know what it feels like to be in Cryptic's shoes here. Sometimes you get a little too optimistic during development and/or you have a marketing team that's overzealous in announcing features. It's not realistic for you to deliver those features in the time you have left before release, and so you have no choice to but either try and put something resembling the promised feature in or to leave it out entirely.

The STO team doesn't have the resources to make the Klingon faction fully featured as quickly as some players want it to happen; Klingons, although popular, have a limited appeal among Trek fans. It's not a good use of limited resources to devote time to a faction played by ~12% of the playerbase.

I'll channel Captain Hindsight for a moment and say that there probably would have been less QQ if Cryptic had simply said "We don't have time to do Klingons by launch; we will have Fed v. Fed PvP using the conceit of holodeck training exercise and wargames as seen on screen. However, we will make Klingons playable as an expansion."
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Thank God for this Article, come on Cryptic fix some of these bugs so the next new reviewer doesn't encounter them, your doing an AWESOME JOB CRYPTIC!!!!