Lt. Commander
# 21
12-30-2010, 03:42 AM
What a crock of sh*t. Having bought the game yesterday, for which the game was offline almost the entirety of, it's now down again today? Glad I paid for a reliable game!! Resub is looking doubtful.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-30-2010, 03:45 AM
yesterday was an unexpected crash, that almost never happens. today is scheduled maintenance, which happens once or twice a week. 99% of the time, the game is online.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Calm down ppl, sure the downtimes are crappy, but I worked on the MMO industry until late last year and trust me when I say Downtimes are crappy even more for the support and DEV teams. Sure we pay money for the sub but they tend to loose their jobs if the work is not done proper. So far Cryptic as been forth coming and proffession... SO FAR!
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-30-2010, 03:48 AM
yesterdays downtime was probably due to weather,california is being hammered with major rain and flooding so my guess is they lost power.as to schedual maintanace well it happens and you cant make everyone happy with it,just be thankful you dont play wow and that on tuesdays the servers go down for a minimum of 8 hours,so whats 2 hours compared to 8.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-30-2010, 03:54 AM
December 3,8,15,17,20,21,27,29 All maintenance,i'm not including when the server was brought down due to unexpected problems.

And you wonder why people are complaining
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-30-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
Of course, it could also be considered by several consumer complaints commissions to be a failure to deliver what was promised to customers words words more words
Yeah, no it can't. That ship sailed something like eighteen years ago with Ultima Online. The complaints commissions weren't on board. The courts weren't on board. The law was not on the consumer's side. And that was before terms of service and end user license agreements were repeatedly tested and upheld in court. Not to mention that was a game averaging upwards of 30 hours of scheduled downtime a week when they weren't updating. STO's on track to make about that this month.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinead
December 3,8,15,17,20,21,27,29 All maintenance,i'm not including when the server was brought down due to unexpected problems.
"And tonight's winning lottery number are..."

As someone sugested the other day in the other downtime thread it would be nice if there were something to do that was built into the launcher to pass the time when this happens.

Personally, even if the character creator were available when the server is offline then that would pass some time for me - it's a bit girly to be playing dress-up I know, but when it's MMO it can pass as manly somehow
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Yeah, no it can't. That ship sailed something like eighteen years ago with Ultima Online. The complaints commissions weren't on board. The courts weren't on board. The law was not on the consumer's side. And that was before terms of service and end user license agreements were repeatedly tested and upheld in court. Not to mention that was a game averaging upwards of 30 hours of scheduled downtime a week when they weren't updating. STO's on track to make about that this month.
That's american law, 18 years ago is a very long time and laws have changed substantially when it comes to international products and services, general internet media and the like. Hell, less then 6 months ago a US federal court ruled that TOS and EULAs were not binding contracts. Not to mention that for a company to trade internationally, they have to comply with local laws, which means they can be pulled up in other countries for pulling this kinda **** if there was enough cause for investigation.

I can only speak for Australian law, naturally, I dont know the UK, NZ or other countries, but as spineless as the ACCC is for things of actual importance, they'd jump up and down on something like this if it were brought to their attention by enough people.

And of course, that wonderful Free Trade Agreement that regularly sees Australia bending over and lubing up, would actually help in this case since it forces the US courts to make any US companies compliant with Australian law and judicial system.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-30-2010, 04:07 AM
I'm probably wrong, but Cryptic would be held to US laws only surely as they're in the US?
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPete View Post
I'm probably wrong, but Cryptic would be held to US laws only surely as they're in the US?
Again, to trade internationally they have to comply with the laws of the country they trade in. AND it's written into the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and US that all US companies HAVE to be compliant with Australian law.