Lt. Commander
# 31
12-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Quick! To da courts! :p

Cake or death?
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-30-2010, 04:15 AM
The servers are down for maintenance???? OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For heaven's sake people. How many times to I have to make this argument? There isn't a single one of you who wouldn't rather wait a few hours to play a working, low bug count MMO, rather than a bug filled choppy MMO.

Stop griping what Cryptic is doing. They haven't broken any laws by giving a good honest effort to provid the best possible MMO. I know there are plenty of areas that need improving...so does Cryptic. Is the ELUA and the TOSA binding contracts in the court of law?? No. There are mentions of periodic server interruptions, and that Cryptic is not responsible for the quality of your online gaming experience. Both will hold up in court in the US.

Please folks....let's stop trolling with flaming posts.....please. This is a great game. Ten times better than it was one year ago. I played through Open Beta, I survived the first harrowing months of constant downtime, lines to log in, and by mid March...it was all gone. I'm surprised the servers haven't crashed nearly as much as they do. There are alot of new players with season 3, and the extra strain is just causing a few hiccups.

Working Servers for the WIN!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Call me naive and ignorrant but why couldnt they include the server maintenace in the yesterday 8 hour (!!!!) downtime ? Noone would complain more or less about a couple more hours ,but doing it today makes a realy bad impression...Even if todays mainenance was a scheduled one ,after what happened yesterday it would be appropriate to pospone it for another day.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Because the downtime yesterday was unexpexted - I would imagine you don't try to fix other game aspects and do general maintenance whilst you've got your hands full with an unexpected issue.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-30-2010, 04:26 AM
man, be happy when they do maintenance.
adding stability, bug fix, sever stuff and so on.

there are more things in life than STO
- watch some Star Trek episodes
- do you homework (if youre in school)
- go out for some shopping in the supermarket
- read the forums (STO and your fleet forum)
- watch STF video's
- call some friends
- play a other game

and i can go on....
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-30-2010, 04:26 AM
And another day where I can sit back relaxed and smile while playing PES, Zelda and other stuff and not having to worry why the servers are always down. Coming back on January 6th or later.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPete View Post
Because the downtime yesterday was unexpexted - I would imagine you don't try to fix other game aspects and do general maintenance whilst you've got your hands full with an unexpected issue.
My point is that it would be preferable to add todays mainenance time to yesterday server downtime AFTER having resolved the unexpected problem.This would extend yesterday downtime but would not make it any worse than it already was.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Well I would imagine you need to know if the fix applied yesterday is stable or not before rolling out other updates. As evidenced yesterday, the first attempt failed - the server was down for 2 hours then up for 5 mins before going down again, so I can understand them letting it run for quite a few hours after the latest fix to see if it's stable again before making any more changes.
Lt. Commander
# 39 lol
12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
it will be back up in like half an hour ............lol calm down. but about that bug fix? i really haven't seen alot of bug fix in maintainance sessions , not to say there havent been, just haven't seen alot of actual fixes , i'm not looking for answers , but it does make me wonder what they are doing during these down times. if it were me, i would probably take the servers down twice a week regardless of maintainance and then watch the forums laughing about the complaints it would bring in . LOL
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
I prefer the every few days for a few hours downtime to WoWs 6+ hour block of weekly downtime personally . That's at least 24 hours a month. And 6 hours is when nothing goes wrong there, I can think of at least a dozen+ days where the servers were down for 12+ hours at a time while I subbed to WoW. I'd say usually 7 to 8 hours seemed typical for a downtime there.Having a Tuesday off when I was subbed was the big suck.

STO's downtimes are mild compared to most other MMO's I've played. Looks like we are coming in at about 16 hours of downtime for the dates listed by a previous poster ( 8 dates , 2 hours each). That leaves 8 hours for emergency crashes, resets, over-runs and bigger patches before STO's downtimes even come close to WoW's best possible time. And with Scataclysm launching this month, I bet WoWs downtime is alot higher than the optimal 24 hours this month.