Lt. Commander
# 41
12-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
My point is that it would be preferable to add todays mainenance time to yesterday server downtime AFTER having resolved the unexpected problem.This would extend yesterday downtime but would not make it any worse than it already was.
But we don't know what happened yesterday at their end . Maybe it was fixed but to 100% they might have needed some parts for the servers which they could only get later. Hence why it might be down today.
Lt. Commander
# 42
12-30-2010, 04:37 AM
i really don't mind SCHEDULED downtimes. It just means they are making things better. It goes with the territory of MMO's. Dont like it, there is a simple solution: STOP PLAYING
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-30-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timper
The servers are down for maintenance???? OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For heaven's sake people. How many times to I have to make this argument? There isn't a single one of you who wouldn't rather wait a few hours to play a working, low bug count MMO, rather than a bug filled choppy MMO. !
I believe we already have that
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-30-2010, 04:49 AM
All the whiners stay her whining while they could play on Tribble Test Server......
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-30-2010, 04:52 AM
As the servers went down yesterday, they should have done the maintenance then, after fixing the problems, and that way there'd only have been one down time. I might have been a few hours, but I'd personally have preferred that to having two days in a row where I wake up and can't play the game. Seems like they missed a trick there.

As for the times of the updates, I agree that they should differ from week to week so that it's not the same group of people that find themselves with 2 hours of downtime during their peak playing hours every week. I can see what others are saying about there being times when more players are on than others, and that the 3am-5am timeslot was picked to cause disruption for as few players as possible, but I'm not sure I believe that there are more players in the US than there are in the rest of the world combined. The update times should change from week to week so that no one timezone gets the raw end of the deal every week IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPete View Post
As someone sugested the other day in the other downtime thread it would be nice if there were something to do that was built into the launcher to pass the time when this happens.
Or you could go out and meet some actual people. :p
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streakfury View Post
As the servers went down yesterday, they should have done the maintenance then, after fixing the problems, and that way there'd only have been one down time. I might have been a few hours, but I'd personally have preferred that to having two days in a row where I wake up and can't play the game. Seems like they missed a trick there.

As for the times of the updates, I agree that they should differ from week to week so that it's not the same group of people that find themselves with 2 hours of downtime during their peak playing hours every week. I can see what others are saying about there being times when more players are on than others, and that the 3am-5am timeslot was picked to cause disruption for as few players as possible, but I'm not sure I believe that there are more players in the US than there are in the rest of the world combined. The update times should change from week to week so that no one timezone gets the raw end of the deal every week IMO.
i would have to agree with you that the time could vary and who knows maybe it will in the future. but for riht now STO is fairly young in comparison to some other mmo's , i think they are doing as good a job as posible for now just give them time and it will get better.
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streakfury View Post
As the servers went down yesterday, they should have done the maintenance then, after fixing the problems, and that way there'd only have been one down time. I might have been a few hours, but I'd personally have preferred that to having two days in a row where I wake up and can't play the game. Seems like they missed a trick there..

Did you consider that the maintenance done today was to fix the issue that caused yesterdays downtimes? If a server crashes like that you need to find the issue that caused it, then work out a fix and if it's in the coding that takes even more time because you have to ensure the new coding won't conflict with any other coding running serverside so that the new coding doesn't cause more downtime.

See the bugs we get after each patch (like cold case being bugged), thats what happens when you don't check everything to ensure that a new problem hasn't arisen. So I'm fine with todays downtime because I know it's probably fixed a major serverside issue that could prevent future crashes, and also because I realise that this is an MMO, and as all MMO's it requries maintenance. Try EVE and its daily downtime, theirs something that willd rive you mad.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
Of course, it could also be considered by several consumer complaints commissions to be a failure to deliver what was promised to customers if there is a regular disruption to service content providing on a regular basis not clearly defined to the customer when the subscription was first purchased. Normally a company would be in a lot of legal trouble for pulling crap like that.

Not to mention, no apologies, no recompence for the denial of service, just completely ignoring that anyone in the pacific region gets a large chunk of time where what they are promised is not provided. Why are we paying as much for our subscriptions as hte US when we have regular service outages in the middle of primetime... ESPECIALLY since our AUD is worth more then the USD is right now, and climbing.
I never saw anything that promised any particular percentage of uptime, or any other service level agreement promising anything other than that to effect there would be downtimes and Cryptic would make best effort to make the game available.

Every MMO has downtime, especially after a large content release.
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
Again, to trade internationally they have to comply with the laws of the country they trade in. AND it's written into the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and US that all US companies HAVE to be compliant with Australian law.
Then do it.

We've had how many issues here that people felt were litigable? How many people swearing up and down that they could take Cryptic to court, that whatever Cryptic was doing was blatantly illegal, that they were going to talk to their lawyer? So if you really mean it what you're saying, then maybe it's time to stop threatening legal action and time to take legal action. I'm no expert in class-action lawsuits, but I'm sure your lawyer/barrister/solicitor (sorry, not sure which of these you go to in Commonwealth law) can figure out what needs to be done.

if you're at all serious about this, then stop threatening and do it.