Lt. Commander
# 21
12-30-2010, 05:20 AM
For me there are a few things they need to work on:

1. Break the walls down. To me this is one of the biggest things (after all the stuff they said they are fixing such as exploration, ground combat, etc.) that they need to fix. Sector Space should be one zone and one open world.

2. I have to agree about giving more meaning to the PVP and have to say that Open World PVP is the best thing to do. The problem that culminates with this is that you can't really have open world pvp that affects the whole world because of the multiple instances.. unless it were in another instanced area where there was just one. Server structure just becomes the big problem with open world pvp.

3. Making the Four founding members of the Federation mean something. Throughout the shows we've known about the importance of Earth and Vulcan to the Federation.. as STO is much more open than a television show is I think it's extremely important that Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and Tellar Prime be much more significant players in the missions and outcome of everything. I would probably classify this as a direction for the future content and lore.

4. Do not let the Foundry replace Episodic Missions. This is my biggest fear.. that Cryptic will just slow down production of the Episodic Missions because of the Foundry. The quality of the first two series has been great and I really hope it is continued.

5. Make the Foundry better than it is being hyped. Star Trek Online for months prior to launch was being hyped for its awesomesauce.. and the whole Federation / Klingon War... for me I think it all fell a little flat and raised many people's expectations to the point where they became very disappointed with what we actually got. If the Foundry is not ready, do not launch it (which is what I think they are planning to do).

6. More aliens from the series! Give us stuff we already know and have seen from the shows. For a Trekkie there's nothing better than for me to maybe help a Lurian Captain (like Morn) from trouble or something. Even though things are familiar, it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.

7. Make use and add to the current sectors in the game. There are tons of known planets and races that could be added in the current sectors for us to go see and do missions for and whatnot. Use what we have before expanding. Sometimes less is more.

8. Ship Interiors and its usefullness. The only thing I'd like to say to this is Tribble Terrarium.

9. The Klingon War... and the war with every other major power in the quadrant. I don't think this will be something immediate but in the future I would like to see the Federation waning from all this fighting... they could hardly hold off the Dominion with two other allies... the Federation really should be suffering from all these conflicts with the Klingons, Romulans, True Way, Borg and Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-30-2010, 06:01 AM
My 2 EC :

1. Klingon PVE content - The Klingon faction should reach a state where they can level up their characters without grinding starclusters, just like the Feds now. Explore and PVP quests should be the flavour of the leveling experience, not the only way.

2. Exploration revamp - which is coming in a future seasonal update. I'm looking forward to it.

3. More (repetable) endgame content - which is somewhat related to the Exploration revamp. But add more STFs, more Fleet Actions for group-oriented players, more dailies for the loners and a territorial PVP metagame for all of us.

4. Better socialization tools - A global autoassigned chatchannel would be a good start. If I want to do Infected, I need to go to Gamma Orionis and look for PUGs there and wait.. wait.. wait..wait. Not cool. We have custom channels for this, I know, but I think they don't really work that well here IMO. It would be much better if anyone could see a LFG message regardless of their location. Maybe there are 100 VAs grinding Delta Volanis or Eridan Belt, they will never see a LFG message there, but all of them are potential STF players.

5. Keep on making the Weeklies - The Foundry is a great tool and there's potential for hundreds of excellent missions in the long run. However, The Foundry should never replace Cryptic-made episodic content.

6. The Foundry - as I said, it is already a great tool in its current iteration but still needs a lot of work and added functionality.

7. Itemization and Game Currencies - With the Aegis and Borg sets I believe we're on a dangerous road. In its current implementation I think they're too easy to obtain. If I read the developers intention correctly they didn't want to make obtaining these sets too grindy. I don't know.. Maybe I just got used to it running Grand Stairs or Barad Guldur countless times for useless radiance items in LOTRO. Also, the hardest content should provide the best gear achievable in game, with crafted gear and random drops/mission rewards come to a close second. So, no more funny Borg guns from Infected that no-one uses while the best ground weapon to date comes from a non-combat weekly episode. I like it this way, btw. It just doesn't feel right in an MMO in my opinion. Game currencies - I think it's safe to say that more than 10 currencies are somewhat hard to follow, escpecially for new players. Needs to be revamped and streamlined.

Good news for me that all my points (except for the global chatchannel) are or will be addressed by the devs in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolderine
1. No, just NO! If you want territorial control, play Eve. I personally don't want to see fleets owning all the best exploration sites with tier 6 data samples and ganking anyone who tries to enter to farm some data samples for their research.
You didn't read what I wrote - or at least didn't understand it. I mention Territory Control (a highly requested feature the devs ahve planned for a while) and you saw blood.

Notice I wrote OPTIONAL as in not required and that you could still explore without ever seeing Territory Control in any PvP Aspect.

Furthermore, I wrote that PvE Progression was an alternative model to any and all PvP ideas.

So, your opinion is a strawman argument where you misrepresented mine. Read carefully next time.

Quote:
2. A real neutral zone would suffice. One where any faction can enter and do battle but without the number and level limitations. A slight adjustment on rewards to give you a negative if you gank someone >10 levels lower in an unprovoked attack. If Klingons lose considerable honour for it and similar for Starfleet, it may prevent the high levels ganking lowbies just for giggles.
Of course no one wants ganking. I don't know many players that want ganking. I fully support options to curb ganking.
Quote:
3. I'll reserve judgement on this until it's released. It might be a good idea but unless some really good designers get on it, I can see a lot of really crappy missions appearing. I know there are some really good modders around but sadly, they are often few and far between.
Hop on Tribble and test it. You can find out today.

Quote:
I agree with the OP, the bugs MUST be fixed first, that is a priority. Get the game running properly and THEN add to it. Don't add even more bugs to an already bugged up game before looking at fixing the bugs.
The programmers who code the game and fix bugs aren't necessarily the same people who produce art or content. Bug fixes have been ongoing since launch - Season 3 had heaps of bug fixes. Don't worry: the game can be fixed and we can still get nice, new things.
Lt. Commander
# 24 Ground and exploration
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM
I agree with ground combat and exploration being the weakest parts of the game right now. I hope ground gets a big revamp with season 4 and exploration gets a big shot in the arm from the Foundry. Add lots of new mini-missions from the Foundry and get rid of the worst of the current exploration ones. No more iron-age civilizations with Borg terrain all over, no more beaming down to scan rocks while enemy ships hover nearby. I want to go kill that ship instead of waiting for the to beam down parties all over the place. In other words, I want things to make sense and not break immersion.

I really liked the idea of using Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar along with Earth to be the driving force of the Federation. These worlds (and Tellarites don't even have a world yet) are empty right now and should be bustling hubs of trade, science, diplomacy, and intrigue.

Things need to actually develop again. The Klingon war stays exactly the same forever. I'd like to see a big House war for the Klingons where one faction allies with the Feds. That way the Klingons get access to lots more Fed missions and can join up with Feds for STFs and the like. The Undine story needs to keep going and eventually have a climactic ending. Are the Feds still being influenced by Undine impersonating top leaders? Maybe the Klingons still have Undine under their noses even though they're always looking out for them? Maybe the weekly episodes can do much of this, since that's likely all the new storylines we're going to get in the next year, except for the Foundry.

I could go on, but a wall of text is already being built here.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Hop on Tribble and test it. You can find out today.
Well, maybe....if they ever fix the foundry search and relist the missions....
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I will concede that STO needs to set realistic testing schedules for features they want to release. Most of the disappointment players have with this game are features that have been promised and withheld from major updates. Cryptic is getting better organized, and they are putting out a lot of "content" very quickly, but they should take care not to burn out and set deadlines that help keep them on-task and us entertained.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
I will concede that STO needs to set realistic testing schedules for features they want to release. Most of the disappointment players have with this game are features that have been promised and withheld from major updates. Cryptic is getting better organized, and they are putting out a lot of "content" very quickly, but they should take care not to burn out and set deadlines that help keep them on-task and us entertained.
Yeah, I hope that they keep up a realistic schedule and don't burn out. I hope to see new seasons and major updates for at least a few years.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I will agree with ground combat. I could not get through Divide et Impera on my science officer, because of the circular healing mobs. I did everything possible like changing Boffs, Boff skillsets, kits, weapons and still couldn't get through it. I fought the mob in the compartment before the control room for over an hour the last time I tried to solo it. Each side kept dealing damage, and then healing back to full. I finally got fed up and called a friend and asked him for help.

The same character had a hard time with the Officers and Swordmasters in "The City on the Edge of Never" and the three-shot shield tanks even though they were -2 enemies. Mind you, she is running a Personal Shield Mk IV [Cap][Reg].

I will throw out the ability to team with KDF for some missions. The war has gone on long enough, and we have a few areas where both factions can mingle socially. It would make sense that some Feds and KDF may have made friends with each other, and on missions involving common enemies they might like to do a joint operation from time to time.

Level playing field for Feds and KDF in Pi Canis. A few times, I have run into instances where KDF players have gone into Fed DSE instances in Pi Canis. KDF ships to KDF players appear as friendlies, and what I have been noticing is people flying around behind Fed players and constantly healing NPC combatants. It's irritating since the Fed can't shoot at the person healing the NPCs. It prevents Fed players from getting kill accolades and completing DSE missions. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have not yet found an instance where Feds can access KDF DSEs. If this is to be an intended design, can we please at least give the Feds the ability to be just as annoying?
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
I can maybe throw in a couple of apples. Maybe.
But, I don't want apples.

I want oranges. That taste like apples.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
My top areas:

1. Story - Great setting. Great premise for interesting conflict. Give me a good coherent story. Make me care about why I'm blowing things up and I'll keep killing 5 squadrons of ships for a while. Take it from a former commercial text-based game developer... story helps.

2. Open Exploration - I want to beam down to a planet and be able to explore it. I know this may not be possible for all the randomly generated planets, but I would like to see some planets where I don't feel like I'm walking around in a box or an oval. I'm a strong Explorer on the Bartle scale.

3. Community - Social areas need more of a purpose.