Lt. Commander
# 1 Admiral BoFF concept
12-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I was watching the third episode of STOked from 2009 in an attempt to check out what I had missed and see the changes in STO from prelaunch till now while the current STOked is on holiday break like everything else, and they were talking about player progression in the game with the limited facts they had. I had a spark of genius (yeah it happens often, but this time it was about STO), and I went off on a tangent and came up with this.

First I'm gonna paint you a basic picture of how STO's rank system is currently to point out the main fault:

Each time you rank up in the first half of Star Trek Online, you are given new slots for your ship, your bank, your inventory and more importantly your Bridge Officers. This is especially good for the Ground game, where you are not limited to what ship slots you have available and there is no real reason why you wouldn't have Four Commander rank officers running around with you at Captain level.

But once you hit Admiral, your Bridge Officers stagnate, they can not go over Commander level so as you continue to rank upwards your Bridge Officers stay the same for the next Twenty levels (At this point, as they are planning on adding more in). Now it is obvious that they can't have 4 Captain ranks running around the ship, as it would be just as bad as the millions of Admirals running around on ESD.

Now for my concept:

You reach the level of Admiral, you can promote one of your Bridge Officers to the rank of Captain. Now as you may of heard, this is what they are planning to do, you promote your first officer up to Captain and then it becomes a playable alt for you to use. However with my Concept, they stay as an NPC and under your command.

At the Rank of Rear Admiral Lower Half, you can promote one of your Bridge Officers to Captain of a new ship, and this ship would be an NPC "pet" in the same fashion as your bridge officers in the ground game, the ships follow behind and your rear Admiral is effectively the commander of a fleet (even though they are only two). Then at the rank of Rear Admiral Upper Half, you can promote another of your bridge officers to captain and hand them a ship to follow along in. As you progress up the ladder, you are no longer just playing as one ship but as 2,3,4 or 5 customizable ships and you become a Fleet Admiral just as you would expect the rank to be.

They would function in the same way as a Bridge Officer does now, they wouldn't enter social areas like ESD or DS9 where they would clog up space (and perhaps would be hidden during Sector Space Travel). They would be replaceable in Teams by Players. Would be completely customizable like your own captain visually, though having a more basic skill set.

This would effectively change space game play for Admiral into a different tactical game, rather than just being the same game as at Captain level with new ships/components and gives you more things to customize (new crews and ships) which would reinvigorate the game half way through as you don't have as much to look forward to once you reach Rear Admiral.

Overall it sticks with pre-existing game mechanics (essentially becoming space boffs) and sticks within the Trek universe, where an Admiral doesn't just command one ship, but an entire fleet (even if it is just a small scale).

Now if someone else had come up with this and I am just repeating it, then sorry, I don't read every thread and couldn't word the search for the entire concept to find it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-30-2010, 04:06 AM
Great idea in my opinion and you'll be glad to know they are working on it:

Quote:
Level cap increase to 61 (Fleet Admiral / Dahar Master), with ability to build fleet-run starbases and special type of gameplay where you can begin to build away teams in space (other ships that you command)
Taken from the STO wiki from the article on future content.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_JMonkey View Post

Interesting, but hopefully its implemented for the entire Admiral ranks and includes something to do with your Boffs.

Thanks for the info.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
This is pretty much what I was hoping for, too, though I have to wonder how five BOff ships would work in larger groups. Too many NPC's flying around can have a severe impact on performance. Think about it; three people with four wingmen each is 15 ships total flying around, not counting NPC enemies! That could cause issues. I'd personally limit it to only two wingmen (just enough to represent each ship type if you so desire) to help reduce stress on lesser machines in teams.

Would the BOff ships only appear in small teams (three or less players) and be disabled in social hubs to save performance? Or would you simply be limited in number of wingmen in larger teams? (for example, you lose one wingman for every teammate you have)?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
This is pretty much what I was hoping for, too, though I have to wonder how five BOff ships would work in larger groups.
I think they could be aiming for a situation as it exists in ground combat, where you always have four other people with you - either players or NPCs.

So, they could scale all Admiral-level missions for a group of 5 ships, and upon entering you get a popup where you can select NPC-controlled ships for your little squadron - either ships commanded by former BOs you promoted to Captain, or simply a bunch of random extras ("Redshirt Mirandas") in case you don't yet have enough BO Captains under your command.

And if you have other players with you, they will automatically fill in some or all of the slots otherwise taken by the NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I think they could be aiming for a situation as it exists in ground combat, where you always have four other people with you - either players or NPCs.

So, they could scale all Admiral-level missions for a group of 5 ships, and upon entering you get a popup where you can select NPC-controlled ships for your little squadron - either ships commanded by former BOs you promoted to Captain, or simply a bunch of random extras ("Redshirt Mirandas") in case you don't yet have enough BO Captains under your command.

And if you have other players with you, they will automatically fill in some or all of the slots otherwise taken by the NPCs.
*foreheadslap*

Of course. I have literally been playing the answer to my question for months. Duh Jex.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_JMonkey View Post

Excellent! I'd forgotten Cryptic had commented on this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias

Yeah my thoughts exactly, however I don't see the need for "Redshirt starships" as by the time you reach the level to do this, you would have the credits/merits or whatever to out fit the new ship and I would never pick a red shirt over skilled BoFF. Though I can see them add it in as a back-up for people who would...
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
This is a GREAT idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree with the OP and have been suggesting this for some time now. Take a look at the "Play As A Bridge Officer" link in my signature.