Lt. Commander
# 11
12-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Presents should not be expected, lest they lose their special value and - instead of being appreciated - become perceived as some sort of inofficial contractual obligation. I think that's the core issue here, and (imho) with the commercialized Christmas in general.

It would have been nice to get something special from Cryptic (there actually is a cool event over at CO right now) - but the fact that we didn't just makes me feel "neutral" instead of "excited". As I did not expect to get anything my emotional state did not drop into negatives. I would suggest a similar approach.

... Gods, that sounded almost Vulcan. :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkeda View Post
So to show appreciation for the player community's continued financial support of STO with its limited cookie cutter pvp. Cryptic gives us what for Christmas ? A big 20% discount at the C-Store ? Am I the only one who noticed this. I have played MMOs since before Ultima Online was split into Feluccia and Trammel. Never before have I ever played a game where there was such a lack of appreciation from the game staff toward the players while trying to bleed every penny they can from subscribers. Cryptic must be where all the SOE game staff went after SWG tanked.
What exactly did you want from Cryptic? A sale where everything was free? Of course, that won't happen. Did you want some in-game Christmas event? Sure, we'd all love some sort of holiday thing. However, as has been stated, the game is more secular than others and there most likely wouldn't be a specific Christmas event.

We were told that there would be some special cool thing coming, but unless it was just the sale, it hasn't happened yet. And if it is just the sale...sure, I'll be disappointed but not raging on the forums...especially one in a section where it really doesn't belong. There has been nothing specifically pertaining to Klingon content in this thread at all. I thought maybe it was another Guramba rant (which would make some sense), but all it ended up being is some spoiled kid wanting something beyond a sale (which everyone knew was going to happen).

Oh, and your attacks...not earning any points with anyone. If most of the mods weren't out of the office I'm sure you'd be getting several infractions just based on your writing in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Whats wrong with smoke?
I've had plenty over the years and I can still see the OP as a Hater who craves more for nothing.
I agree with Treagsama, who agreed with Gmacd, Who agreed with Green - that you are expecting too much from a game where they already said NO holiday events that are not apart of the Genre.
Cryptic does not owe you anymore than a fun game experience.

Though for the record I've would've enjoyed chasing Santa through the Pi Canis Sector in my BoP, I've never forgiven him for the coal fiasco of 78.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I want them to develop the game more and that is what they are doing so they are giving me this for Christmas.

I cannot find the post I am not a guru of successful search.

I believe one of the devs posted why spend the resources on an event that will be used for a short period of time when they can keep those resources focused on further enhancing and developing the game. When the game has come farther along, then they can spend the resources on special events that will only be used for a short time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree with Roach, who agreed Treagsama, who agreed with Gmacd, Who agreed with Green.

What about all the people who play that don't celebrate christmas should it be forced upon them, and what of all the alien races in star trek i think some of them might find christmas distasteful at best.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convoy7734
What about all the people who play that don't celebrate christmas should it be forced upon them, and what of all the alien races in star trek i think some of them might find christmas distasteful at best.
That's another issue, too.

I'd have appreciated a small token like a special item or something*, but I too would be sceptical about an event in the game itself. Whilst an x-mas event does not need to be ruled out per se (as it was indeed celebrated in Trek), I think that it has to be "balanced" by non-humanocentric events.

*: you could argue that the recent Toron shuttle pet distribution fulfilled this function, but as it was only given to Tribble testers it does not quite fit
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-30-2010, 01:03 PM
may in STO we could have federation day and klingon day of honor. now those would fit into the star trek theme and be non offensive to all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh God.... err Oh Whom it may Concern.

Lets keep religion out please. One fallout has already happened due to it in the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convoy7734
I agree with Roach, who agreed Treagsama, who agreed with Gmacd, Who agreed with Green.

I agree with convoy, who agreed with Roach, who agreed with treagsama, who agreed with Gmacd, who agreed with Green.

grow up, OP. The only thing STO, Cryptic, or Atari owes you is whatever you have paid for.

and maybe a few tasty golden delicious apples.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
I agree with convoy, who agreed with Roach, who agreed with treagsama, who agreed with Gmacd, who agreed with Green.

grow up, OP. The only thing STO, Cryptic, or Atari owes you is whatever you have paid for.

and maybe a few tasty golden delicious apples.
I just revisited this thread and this made me lol, it just gets longer. Its like a forum version of a birthday present. And yes, today is indeed my birthday :p 30th December, depending on your Time Zone