Lt. Commander
# 11
12-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Eh, the rail shooter looks awesome. I miss Rebel Assault and Starfox.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
I intend to enjoy both.
That's what I'm planning to do as well
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-30-2010, 05:49 AM
SWTOR is primarily a ground game...the space portion is little more than a mini-game, so it doesn't bother me that it's a tunnel/rail shooter.

would be nice to have a full 3D space system, but BW opted not to go that way.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telbasta
There's a few hinging factors on whether or not I end up playing TOR... but I've really been more and more disappointed with bioware's work lately. They seem more focused on limiting the player to -their- story than allowing the player a variety of options. I dont think Bioware understands just how much customization and personalization mean to players - especially MMO players. ToR, from what I've seen, will have virtually zero ship or clothing/armor customization options, they're limiting you to only the near-human species, and they're really giving no room for the roleplayers to do their thing.
Bullshiat...

From the last Q&A http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101217#cqa

Quote:
Will we have a lot of customization options for making our characters? (asked by Galivos)
Because you will see your character's face so frequently during conversations in the game, it's absolutely critical that you can look awesome and unique. We have plenty of face/head/body customization options just in character creation, not to mention all of the amazing-looking equipment and gear you will find in the world.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
Bullshiat...
They're not allowing any of the non-near-human species because "all playable species must speak basic with no accent and fit into the same armor". There is no ship customization, you get the ship for your class and that's that. Every class/ advanced class has their own armor - you cant mix and match, the best we can hope for is the ability to dye/color our gear. Every class/advanced class has their own weapons - if you want to be this type of jedi, you have to use this type of lightsaber and these force powers, no exceptions.

Bioware is and has been heading towards less options in favor of stricter storyline in every one of their games over the past several years. In Dragon age 2, you wont be able to play anything but a human, and you wont even be able to choose your background, which is what people liked so much about the first game to begin with. They went from having a huge number of weapon and armor options in mass effect to having no more than a handful in mass effect 2.

I used to be a pretty hardcore bioware fan but my opinion of the company keeps dropping as they add more and more unnecessary restrictions and limitations to their games. Telling a good story only gets you so far, and in the face of so many options and paths that other MMO's give you, TOR is going to be struggling to keep up on story alone.

EDIT: and to respond to your edit/quote - any MMO will have lots of face customization options, but what's the point when each class in SW:TOR will only have 2-3 species to pick from? And all of those will look like nothing more than humans with tinted skin and a few tentacles or spikes thrown in.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
They're not allowing any of the non-near-human species
And we are very happy about that, thats one thing i dident like iun the STO caracter creation.That you have a option to make a tiny alien that really is not iconic STAR TREK race.Just a mix of the other races.I dont say that players should have the option if they like it.Its just my opinion that this was a good move by BW.Keep it more canon and as you say those caracters need to talk.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read. I can say that TOR is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to give it a chance when it's out. However, it is weird that they focus on the ground game and somewhat oversimplify the space portion.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:

EDIT: and to respond to your edit/quote - any MMO will have lots of face customization options, but what's the point when each class in SW:TOR will only have 2-3 species to pick from? And all of those will look like nothing more than humans with tinted skin and a few tentacles or spikes thrown in.
To respond here, the RP community in Wow is going on very strong. And that's filled with mostly near humans. (Tauren get no love. Why? Cause their ugly. And stupid)

Besides anyone, that knows anything about ST, or SW and one of the things they have in common is that frankly only humans and near humans get anything done. Everyone else is just a villain of the week or doormat of the week.
And frankly given the stupidly diverse options we have for Aliens in STO, you don't see an awful lot of non near humans. Why? We naturally identify better with human/nonhuman. We have a built in genetic bias for those as preferences.

As far as ME1 vs ME2 goes customization wise, there's only One facet I miss of it. And that's the upgrade slots. Everything else was stupid. As there were flat out By Far superior weapons to other weapons in ME1. Same with armors. There is no sense in denying that. Options which everyone would have taken anyway especially if they played on the higher difficulties. For Dragonage 2, frankly unless they really are going to incorporate an ME1/2 style combat system I'm probably not interested anyway. And frankly I found the characters to have the body language of store mannequins, so it was really jarring for me anyway. Let alone the main character not having a voice, when the camera would repeatedly pan to you when you clicked options. And then you throw in the fact that your hero frankly doesn't really react to anything made me feel the interaction was forced and half hearted compared to Mass Effects. So I'm glad they are addressing that in the sequel.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-30-2010, 06:46 AM
The thing that bother me most about SWTOR is Bioware's lack of consideration towards any sort of exploration. In a panel discussion at PAX this year two of SWTOR developers pretty much pooh-poohed space exploration. Just from that statement alone, I feel the entire game will be "on rails" with very little chance to wander around.

In a perfect world I would love to see STO's space combat; SWTOR (supposed) ground combat; EVE Online's or SWG's crafting (pre-CU) and LOTRO's sense of exploration in a Star Wars game. Unfortunately, I will be still waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
My favorite scifi universe always was and will be Star Trek,I am not a big fan of SW.

Kotor is a single player role playing game made by Bioware(2003).
Kotor 2 is a single player role playing game made by Obsidian Entertainment(2004).
The online game will be SW:ToR.

Bioware makes very good single player RPGs but this will be their first online game and the focus will be on the ground aspect of the game.The majority of the STO players play this game for the space combat so I dont know why you all think that it will be a rival of STO.They are both scifi games thats all the common in the 2.

I will stay with STO too and I dont think that ToR will be a threat for this game because they attract different kind of players.
Closed Thread