Lt. Commander
# 21
12-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeriel
Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read. I can say that TOR is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to give it a chance when it's out. However, it is weird that they focus on the ground game and somewhat oversimplify the space portion.
I love JtL in SWG. It reminded me of Tie Fighter and X-Wing for the PC.

However, I loved Rebel Alliance I & II. TOR might be good or it might be bad. Only time will tell if the experience is fun or if the flight mode channels more minigame repetition than freedom.

Chances are they won't have many different maps for space flight and it'll feel a lot like STO's PvP portion in Space (same scenery all the time) but with less control.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
The thing that bother me most about SWTOR is Bioware's lack of consideration towards any sort of exploration. In a panel discussion at PAX this year two of SWTOR developers pretty much pooh-poohed space exploration. Just from that statement alone, I feel the entire game will be "on rails" with very little chance to wander around.

In a perfect world I would love to see STO's space combat; SWTOR (supposed) ground combat; EVE Online's or SWG's crafting (pre-CU) and LOTRO's sense of exploration in a Star Wars game. Unfortunately, I will be still waiting.
But SW isn't about exploring new areas.... thats a ST thing (remember Cyrptic? Hello? So why haven't we you know actually explored anything? Ever? And no the star clusters aren't exploration... their XP there's a huge difference.) SW is more about the heroes overcoming adversity, and good vs evil while exploring the ranges within.

I'll be playing both by the way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telbasta
I've really been more and more disappointed with bioware's work lately. They seem more focused on limiting the player to -their- story than allowing the player a variety of options. I dont think Bioware understands just how much customization and personalization mean to players
Yes,compared to Baldurs Gate 2(it is still the best game I ever played in my life) which is already 10
years old every RPG on the market was a step backwards(player freedom,companions,story,alive and
big city,content).Dragon Age was a good try but it is still just a watered down BG2 with pretty graphic.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
But SW isn't about exploring new areas.... thats a ST thing (remember Cyrptic? Hello? So why haven't we you know actually explored anything? Ever? And no the star clusters aren't exploration... their XP there's a huge difference.) SW is more about the heroes overcoming adversity, and good vs evil while exploring the ranges within.

And yet Star Wars succeed because the universe felt so lived-in and exotic. The establishing shots in the Mos Eisley Cantina made people want to explore that world.

True, Star Trek focused on exploration but it also focused on character development. Both really inspire people to explore the lore and see every nook and cranny.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo

I left out the lack of exploration in STO because I thought it was pretty obvious.

As for exploration, any MMO without it is just not a AAA MMO in many players opinion's. Not to mention, the reason people want to play in MMO's regarding existing stories is so they can visit those locations from the story. In regards to SW, most people that have wanted it in an MMO want places to explore like Kuat shipyards or the deserts of Tatooine or the high towers of Corusant. Bioware is taking a more, "go to this location via an ingame cutscene and have dialogue/combat...go via cutscene to next location, wash and repeat". To paraphase the comment I mentioned in my post previously "hey Chewie, lets go up to space and just dic around"....yeah....I want to be able to make that decision.

And just for the record, I plan to play SWTOR for the first six months to a year. After that, Bioware had better provide more then an MMO on rails or I will be outta there.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Maybe SWG still has a chance then.
*sign*
Nice signature by the way.

I personally expect TOR to be the absolute "anti STO", it will probably have everything I miss in STO and lack everything I love at STO.

After all I've seen it has a very good ground combat system (but lets see what Cryptic will do with the great "Ground rework" in Season 4), and simply no "real" space combat at all (that Rail stuff is really just a minigame, TOR was announced originally without ANY space combat).
And, hell.... people keep comparing WOW with STO (and will do that with TOR for sure), where in WOW can you costumize your Starship?

But I#m actually afraid that TOR wont work out that good. I mean, like I guess the most here, I love Bioware games. And STO is supposed to be "story based". But how does "Story base" work out in an MMOs endcontent?
So I expect TOR to be a lot of fun to level up, but if that is the main focus, it might get boring after that....

Sad think is that Cryptic did not use the additional year. I'm definity more Star Trek then Star Wars fan (especially since 1999^^) but I thing there are much more Star Wars fans out there, and TOR will draw players from STO. Cryptic had a great chance since TOR was originally supposed to be released about the same time STO came out,but it was delayed for 1 year. That is a whole year for cryptic to convince people to stay in STO... there where some good improvements during the last month, no doupt, but I thing it was to little and to late for many players.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
And we are very happy about that, thats one thing i dident like iun the STO caracter creation.That you have a option to make a tiny alien that really is not iconic STAR TREK race.Just a mix of the other races.I dont say that players should have the option if they like it.Its just my opinion that this was a good move by BW.Keep it more canon and as you say those caracters need to talk.
So your saying you want the federation to stay the same size and in the same areas it was at in game 30 years ago and not going around meeting new races and such?
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikahn
Was just watching some videos on the new Bioware game coming out in and they were talking about the space system. They said ... it was ... going to be .... a RAIL SYSTEM!!! Omg, I had enough complaints about too much instancing in STO and how space didn't feel very open ... but a RAIL SHOOTER??? OMFG. Although it looks to be a very impressive game I don't know if I can handle this lol.
If you want to discuss TOR then go to its forums.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
So your saying you want the federation to stay the same size and in the same areas it was at in game 30 years ago and not going around meeting new races and such?
I like that Option in STO. I mean I hate to see tons of Avatar "Na'vi" (or how ever you write that thinks) all over the place, but you are right: the federation has 200 members as as I remember, and it may discover new ones in the time since Nemesis.

In Star Wars on the other hand is no need for exploration: The whole Galaxy IS explored (as far is I know). But it is still a whole GALAXY, wich means there must be millions of species we havent seen in the movies/series yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If you want to discuss TOR then go to its forums.
Why should he? We COMPARE STO and TOR, so it is here as right as in the TOR forum.

But the Thread should be in 10 forward I guess, not in "Star Trek Online" discussion....
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-30-2010, 07:42 AM
I probably will try TOR but I don't like the graphics very much at all. They look kind blocky and to cartoonish. I really hope the game play is better than the graphics.

I think with all the hype it's got there are going to be plenty of disappointed people. The same thing Warhammer and *** shortly after they launched.

To many have built this up to be the greatest MMO of all time so I think there forums will look like ours and the other two games. After the first month.
Closed Thread