Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You are wrong. Here's why:
Th developers have taken their first major break since before the game launched.

In game development cycles (especially MMOs), it's not uncommon to work overtime for years leading into a project's launch and months afterward. The holidays were the first major break for many on the STO team, aside from incidental leave and vacation days that were taken separately from one another(i.e. dstahl's paternity leave, etc.).

That said, the developers have been in today and they've given over five interviews in the past month (ranging from dstahl to Zero to Farktoid and more). They also got a major Season update out the door during this time. They've also been busy beta testing the Foundry and getting it up on Tribble (you have no idea how hard they were working, along with closed beta testers) to get the Foundry working up this month. The developers were also extremely busy posting earlier in the month to ensure as much data would be in our hands before the holidays.

People like ZeroniusRex were working on bugfixes today (and yesterday too). She was online and ingame until nearly 6 pm PDT. The support team got the servers back yesterday. Q appeared on the forums (and he hasn't appeared in ages as a forum moderator).

If they're quiet this week, it's not because they're closing - it's because they're finally taking a collective breather before plunging back into development and the next Featured Series.
That's good to know. My post was not a rant. It was my anxiety that I could not get to see Star Trek Online expanded and improved to the point where it becomes the game we all want it to be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
That's good to know. My post was not a rant. It was my anxiety that I could not get to see Star Trek Online expanded and improved to the point where it becomes the game we all want it to be.
Darren is one of the most logical posters I have seen on these forums. Myself, i've trolled the EVE forums for to long and find it difficult to change my stripes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
Despite the efforts of season updates and The Foundry and the lowering of retail prices and the possible eventually F2P model...it appears STO is heading for the day when the servers close down. And this could be happening in a matter of a few months.
STO is heading towards the day the server closes down, so is WoW, DC Online, SWG and every MMO out there... Thats like saying I am getting closer to passing away every day I live, no duh...

As for a few months? Yeah no where near. Had that been the case the game would of been made Free 2 Play before Champions online and they would be fighting for it.

I don't expect it to go Free 2 Play anytime soon as the Devs have been releasing some pretty awesome content with the weeklies.

Quote:
But I see these boards pretty quiet, devs making less and less comments, and STO not being given any major media interviews.
Before Christmas they were busy getting ready to Season 3 released, and constantly busy with Foundry. Now they are having their holidays with their families, yeah the Dev's are in fact humans and not cleverly scripted AI trying to self replicate itself into games.

Also note the C-Store release of an epic ship and some more costumes a couple of days before Christmas.

Quote:
Please someone tell me I am wrong with a reason to believe so.
I think the responses on this thread have proven you wrong, just wait a couple weeks (probably less now) and enjoy the game
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
That's good to know. My post was not a rant. It was my anxiety that I could not get to see Star Trek Online expanded and improved to the point where it becomes the game we all want it to be.
Fun Fact:
I've seen developers like Farktoid log in at 3 am PDT (the same time zone as Cryptic Studios) and showed them bugs before. The galaxy bridge geometry that wasn't fixed for months? Farktoid had it fixed within a couple days after I jumped up and down on the ramp's gaps. His words: "Good catch! You can only see that from certain angle." Three days later: hotfixed.

Also, Thomas the Cat just got hired and he said they have a lot of things planned on their whitebaord - things he can't talk about but as a former subscriber made him smile.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Fun Fact:
I've seen developers like Farktoid log in at 3 am PDT (the same time zone as Cryptic Studios) and showed them bugs before. The galaxy bridge geometry that wasn't fixed for months? Farktoid had it fixed within a couple days after I jumped up and down on the ramp's gaps. His words: "Good catch! You can only see that from certain angle." Three days later: hotfixed.

Also, Thomas the Cat just got hired and he said they have a lot of things planned on their whitebaord - things he can't talk about but as a former subscriber made him smile.
If it made Thomas The Cat smile it must be good...here's hoping for Boarding Parties, Leveling Bridge Officers, Aegis+Borg Ground Equip., and much more
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't think STO is in danger of closing down. It may not have had a stellar launch or attracted the number of subscribers one would think a Star Trek MMO would, but it's not The Matrix Online.

It takes a fair bit for an MMO like STO to shut down. It took a few years for SOE to shut down MxO, and MxO never had quite as many subs as STO does by most estimations. SWG has survived for 7 years on around 100k subscriptions.

MMO development is hectic. It can be hectic for years, especially if it's a title based on someone else's IP. When I last worked on a title, we worked 12-14 hour days in the two years prior to launch. We worked 12-4 hour days for a good six months afterward.

You start to get burnt out after working those kind of hours for that long. You need a break to prevent burnout. That's fairly essential when you work in a creative field like game development. If you live and breathe an IP for years, you will eventually stop being inspired to create new content or interesting stories.

There's an IP I can't even think about touching and the title released some time ago.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
The numbers have [picked up not lower.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh come on mates, cut the man some slack. He prolly actually ate the Fruit Cake at Christmas. (you know the one no one wants and just keeps giving it to someone else. Best guess is it was made in the late 19th century) And we all know eating that can have some pretty odd effects on the human mind. So have a little sympathy OK?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
I don't think STO is in danger of closing down. It may not have had a stellar launch or attracted the number of subscribers one would think a Star Trek MMO would, but it's not The Matrix Online.
Even Matrix Online lasted for 5 years ... it's highly unlikely that any MMO with a major Franchise would shut down after just 1 year ... moreover Cryptic is a small Studio they don't need millions of subscribers to be successful ... i even remember them saying 100k Subscribers is their Definition for success -> consequently it might be more likely that SWTor will shut down after a year because they put so much money into the game they'll need WOW-like Subscriber numbers to be financially successful
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
It would be hard for STO to close I would think. Even if they lost a lot of subscriptions they have the income from c-store. We don't know how much monthly income that is. It could equal out to the same amount as hundreds of subscriptions each month or more.

It had a low development cost too. So I really can't see it closing out.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM.