Lt. Commander
# 21
12-30-2010, 11:18 PM
If EQ can hold on for more than a decade and still counting, STO isn't going anywhere.

That said, STO as we knew it is already dead or dying.

In its place, we have something better every update.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
I have a nagging suspicion that STO is fizzling out in terms of active subscribers and game selling rates. Despite the efforts of season updates and The Foundry and the lowering of retail prices and the possible eventually F2P model...it appears STO is heading for the day when the servers close down. And this could be happening in a matter of a few months.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer. I would more than love there to be a Season 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 if not more. But I see these boards pretty quiet, devs making less and less comments, and STO not being given any major media interviews.

I fear STO's days a rapidly being lessened.

Please someone tell me I am wrong with a reason to believe so.
Oh my god! Sameet, it's been so long, how I've missed you
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
If EQ can hold on for more than a decade and still counting, STO isn't going anywhere.
Heck, it's been over 22 years since Gemstone III came out, and it is still going strong at www.play.net/gs4/

STO could learn a lot from them, though. Real quality product and amazing RP environment.

That being said, STO could very well be here for decades, if they start thinking long term and not short term. That's how Gemstone survived.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-31-2010, 12:02 AM
If they released SWTOR right now with what they already have, It would be a lasting MMO that will probably exceed all the other MMO's out there in lifetime.

As a more successful IP and about 500% more in it right now than we currently have, I'd back that game first.

Check out their website sometimes, I dare you.

That said I love Star Trek as well and will probably be here when they turn off the lights.

( At least on STO so they can focus on Neverwinter Nights.)
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Don't doom me bro.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
If they released SWTOR right now with what they already have, It would be a lasting MMO that will probably exceed all the other MMO's out there in lifetime.

As a more successful IP and about 500% more in it right now than we currently have, I'd back that game first.

That said I love Star Trek as well and will probably be here when they turn off the lights.

I'd love to discuss this again once the NDA is lifted.

===

On another note, question is answered. let's move along.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post

If by 500% more you mean 20 gigs of voiceover work, then yes. The rest of the game looks mediocre at best. The same exact ground combat style that's been around a long time now and a pitiful afterthought they consider to be space combat isn't exactly a great selling point no matter how popular the IP is.

Hell I'm willing to bet Guild Wars 2 outdoes them...and this is coming from someone who is completely burnt out on over 10+ years of fantasy magic and swords type mmos.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-31-2010, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet View Post
I have a nagging suspicion that STO is fizzling out in terms of active subscribers and game selling rates......I fear STO's days a rapidly being lessened.

Please someone tell me I am wrong with a reason to believe so.
STO will be around for a long time. Yes, it came out unfinished, but the devs have been adding content and fixing bugs. The game looks good, you can have a lot of fun in a Star Trek atmosphere, from changing Trek outfits to flying around on different ships from the Star Trek series to all kinds of things. It's going to be all right.

As for everyone else, why did you gang up on Simeet? He asked a legitimate question. This forum is filled with complaints from people who are grumpy over the game not being perfect. It's not so weird, after all for someone who loves the game, loves Trek to wonder about this.

New Year's resolution for everyone--chill!

Okey-Doke?
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-31-2010, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
Oh my god! Sameet, it's been so long, how I've missed you
Lol....this is the first thing that popped in my mind {minus the "I've missed you"}. Was thinking is SAMEET back?
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-31-2010, 04:45 AM
It's just a shame STO was rushed to release. Although I guess they didn't have a choice. Cryptic needed money and they chose a timeslot when they weren't going to be overshadowed by other MMO releases.
Closed Thread