Lt. Commander
Short story: I have a laptop now that doesn't look as good as my previous gaming rig. I was looking for some solution to upgrade the graphics card. This is what I found:

http://www.villageinstruments.com/ti...hp?page=ViDock

It's a PCI adapter for an external video card. Yes, the video card would have to match the chipset, but other than that I was thinking I should be good. However, I don't know a single person who has ever heard of this much less used it. So I was wondering what everyone else thinks of this or a similar product. Any person/friend/acquaintance/etc. stories and experiences would be MUCH appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-31-2010, 09:30 AM
First time i seen this, looks interesting, but unless you want to fork out for 2 cards everytime one for the tower and one for the adaptor not worth it, rather game on a tower and work on a laptop.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-01-2011, 02:21 PM
ViDocks tend to not get much in the way of favourable reviews, mostly because of their usage limitations and price.

ViDock Pro edition is bottlenecked by PCIe 1x bandwidth to put out Radeon 2600 PRO levels of performance, even if the card inside is swapped for a much more powerful unit.

For $280+the cost of the graphics card to put inside you could buy a new laptop that outspecs your old one and the ViDock'd graphics several times over.

Or spend that cash on either a top of the range gcard ( you will need a PC to put it in though ) or buy a complete mid range system ( that will still vastly outperform either a new laptop or an old laptop+Vidock)

Only really worth picking up one of these things if your immediate needs are : need extra displays to do work on or for the ability to play HD stuff on a nice big seperate screen from your laptop.

Not really recommended for gaming performance increases