Lt. Commander
# 11
12-31-2010, 04:32 AM
The problem is that they rearrange the bar in order to serve the new free drinks. Must walk around decor made only for the drinkers, and that's quite frankly a hassle. :p

---
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_JMonkey View Post
Please just delete this thread, the devs have said STO is not going free to play so there is no point whatsoever is discussing it.
Actually, they didn't exactly rule it out entirely, but for the foreseeable future, it'll be subscription based. But, however, they will be modifying the Demo so it is more open to give people a better taste of things.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-31-2010, 05:14 AM
Some people may be saying this isn't going to happen but...

According to this person at this site http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm

It will be a reality by this coming summer. Read the coming predictions for 2011 it's the 5th item down.

Happy New Year!
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-31-2010, 05:20 AM
I hope STO remains as it is and does not go the way of many other F2P games, i think be better if STO maintains a sub, COH is the otehr MMO i play alot of and irts still going strong with its sub system
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB952
If STO followed Chapions Online into the world of free-to-play games, what would you like to see? For starts, I think it would be good if when premium players got something, free players get a bit of premium content added to the freeness. Post Here.
[Rocky the Flying Squirrell] Again? But that trick never works! [/Rocky the Flying Squirrell]
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
Some people may be saying this isn't going to happen but...

According to this person at this site http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm

It will be a reality by this coming summer. Read the coming predictions for 2011 it's the 5th item down.

Happy New Year!
F2P games have always been wallet based games. The more you spend in the cash shop, the more damage or resistances you have to become far stronger than a non paying player. As a low spender in the cash shop, the best you can do is mooch around and do a few NPC missions, only the heavy spenders can get involved in PVP to any real degree. A low spender can try to PVP but will be constantly ganked with little or no hope of killing anything due to low damage and crappy gear. To progress beyond a certain level requires a considerable RL cash input. I have played enough F2P games over the past few years to know how they work.

With ships, BO candidate races and items like the Tribble and Tribble of Borg that give bonuses being sold via the C-store, STO is slowly going down that route. If more and more items that give bonuses start to appear in the C-store, it will be a good indication of it becoming a F2P game.

If that happens, I'll quit. I just don't have the financial resources to play any wallet based games, I'm barely managing to afford the subs now but only because they are less than other mainstream subs based games. I only signed up because I'm a ST fan and would like the game to succeed but not if it goes F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB952
If STO followed Chapions Online into the world of free-to-play games, what would you like to see? For starts, I think it would be good if when premium players got something, free players get a bit of premium content added to the freeness. Post Here.
Try reading the thread stickied at the top of the forum; thats pretty much what people have been discussing since it was posted.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolderine
F2P games have always been wallet based games. The more you spend in the cash shop, the more damage or resistances you have to become far stronger than a non paying player. As a low spender in the cash shop, the best you can do is mooch around and do a few NPC missions, only the heavy spenders can get involved in PVP to any real degree. A low spender can try to PVP but will be constantly ganked with little or no hope of killing anything due to low damage and crappy gear. To progress beyond a certain level requires a considerable RL cash input. I have played enough F2P games over the past few years to know how they work.

With ships, BO candidate races and items like the Tribble and Tribble of Borg that give bonuses being sold via the C-store, STO is slowly going down that route. If more and more items that give bonuses start to appear in the C-store, it will be a good indication of it becoming a F2P game.

If that happens, I'll quit. I just don't have the financial resources to play any wallet based games, I'm barely managing to afford the subs now but only because they are less than other mainstream subs based games. I only signed up because I'm a ST fan and would like the game to succeed but not if it goes F2P.
Like most people, you apparently arent aware that the "new" F2P model isnt strictly F2P, its hyprid. It still includes a monthly sub that grants you access to the entire game and a monthly stipiend of points you can spend in the game store or save up. In those situations, the game doesnt change at all for the people who already have a monthly sub; you actually get more(the monthly stipend of points) than you do now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I would quit as well simply because of the kind of people it attracts which mostly consist of whinny teenagers sitting in their mothers basement and ruin the community. I am also skeptical that a hybrid model would in fact give us more, I am betting with the way t is now we would get some what less with more we had to buy. If they give away points am willing to bet they would just increase the cost of things in the c-store or give away s few t wouldn't matter as they need a way to make more money. Add this to the fact that all the "new people" playing would not be able to play with any one unless they bought the content we would just get a bunch of awful players who would hurt the community while getting very little n return. I would rather pay more for my monthly sub than be cursed with a F2P game model.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
I would quit as well simply because of the kind of people it attracts which mostly consist of whinny teenagers sitting in their mothers basement and ruin the community.
IMO, the less people who judge others as inferior to themselves the better. You may think the "whinny teenagers" are bad for the community, but people who look down their noses are worse. At least the "whinny teenagers" grow up; people who are already grown and have a superiority complex dont tend to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
I am also skeptical that a hybrid model would in fact give us more, I am betting with the way t is now we would get some what less with more we had to buy.
Fortunately you are wrong. CO has released the details for its F2P plan, and subbers do in fact get more than they currently do.