Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship idea
12-31-2010, 09:47 AM
I for one would love to see a tiny ship.

Something like the Delta flyer where you and your boffs are the entirety of the crew.
Something like the runabout but actually useful from a gameplay perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
There is a runabout that you can fly, which can be purchased at DS9. Unfortunately it isn't very powerful. It would be nice if there were runabout specific missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
there is for klingons.

I'm talking about a runabout that is actually useful.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-31-2010, 09:58 AM
There's also a Captain's Yacht coming up as a veteran reward, apparently.

I'd like to see more player-controllable miniships, too. Not the Delta Flyer (too unique, imo), but type VI and IX shuttles or Peregrine couriers.

Perhaps there could even be an event or a daily mission where you queue for a "shuttle race" against other players using a similar mechanic such as the one from the Slingshot mission. Or how about a PvP map where people fly shuttles/fighters instead of capital ships?

It would also be interesting to have a daily mission that you can only do in a shuttlecraft because - for some reason - your large ship can't. We've seen enough episodes of Trek where they came up with ideas regarding this, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
One option to get runabouts(or delta flyers if they arrive) in game use would be to create a special fleet action

1: only runabouts/delta flyer/captains yacht ships can enter the action

2: maybe a storyline like evacuating settlers/hostages from a planet or moon in a dense asteroid field(to explain only small ships)

3: have enemy fighters and as it progresses a few large ships to take on.

I would love it
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
The main thing is that I've always been a fan of small crew space stuff. So stuff like Firefly, Outlaw Star and such. But obviously this doesn't fit into Trek very well where every ship is huge.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
One option to get runabouts(or delta flyers if they arrive) in game use would be to create a special fleet action

1: only runabouts/delta flyer/captains yacht ships can enter the action

2: maybe a storyline like evacuating settlers/hostages from a planet or moon in a dense asteroid field(to explain only small ships)

3: have enemy fighters and as it progresses a few large ships to take on.

I would love it
See I like these ideas too. I used to fly my runabout around when I was RP'ing an admiral that didn't do much but fly from DS9 and K7 hehe. I would love to fly around again in it for an actual reason (besides messing with people in PvP challenges hehe)
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash-jackel View Post
But obviously this doesn't fit into Trek very well where every ship is huge.
Oh, there are some options - it's just not been the focus of the show. Except for a very few instances such as the DS9 episode "Soldiers of the Empire" with its IKS Rotarran, or of course every episode where the Defiant was at the center of the action.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
The Bird of Prey has thirty crewmen on average while the Defiant has around fifty.

That's not small.
I'd be saying like a maximum of ten people on the crew. Genuine small ship and crew stuff.

~EDIT~

The "Raven" type ship seems to be ideal for what I want.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
You can also fly a B'rel with as little as a dozen people. Just like the "Raven" it still is rather large, though - I imagine you probably want something between that and the Runabout with, say, two decks, maybe three?

How about the Antares-class?

It's hard to find something in military use, though. Ships below the size of the Defiant tend to get blown up too fast, aside from their very narrow set of capabilities (the Defiant already is a major break from the traditional "multi-role vessel" that Starfleet prefers).

Ahh, all this starts reminding me about the idea for a neutral faction.