Let's face it. Compared to the player models and npcs, the player weapons at times look outright cartoonish. We have glowy wingy bits on phasers, ungainly sizes for weapons, plastic toy looking antiprotons, and higher level means adding more random useless bits onto our weapons.
Here are the issues with the assets we have:
1) Phasers. Federation phasers at T1 and T6 look very nice. The T1 are canon weapons while the T6 rifle is a nice take on a compression rifle. However, the T10 hand phaser ends up looking like a dental instrument that must weigh an extra 2 pounds from the extra bits added onto it. In addition, the glowy things need to go. They ruin the style of a very nice looking weapon.
The civilian phasers look out of place. It would be nice to either add a wooden trim in the dark brown areas, or simply change these weapons to what Cardassian NPC's use.
2) Disruptors: These are fine. Later tiers suffer from unnecessary additions.
3) Plasma: Where to begin. These are the second most ugly weapons in the game, and are completely oversized at all tiers. They don't look Star Trek. The MkXI rifle is taller than my character and has horrible clipping issues with her avatar (namely the breast region). The stock on this thing clips through her at rest, and she's sized averagely. These weapons should be the same as what Romulan NPC's use in the game.
4) Tetryon: Nothing wrong with these at all. Could stand to be scaled a little smaller, but look exactly as they did in the series.
5) Polaron. These should be a darker shade of grey. Better yet, make them the same as what the Jem'Hadar NPC's ingame use. The rifles suffer from being too large to believe. They should be the short carbines that the Dominion uses.
6) Antiproton: The ugliest weapons ingame. They end up looking like plastic toys. I think as Federation prototypes, these should resemble something like what the synchronic distortion rifle looks like. Black with human-inspired buttons.
Overall, the most necessary change is weapon size scaling. This is especially noticable in all rifles. They are way too large for the character to be able to use properly. The big guns (assault class) are honestly fine (except for the phaser glowy bits). The only addition those could use is maybe a backpack.
These are minor niggles, but it's something to consider to make the game look less cartoonish.
I would be fine with the same assets being used for every tier of the weapon's strength. That would cut down on remaking them, since only three models (or six for phasers and disruptors) would need to be made per weapon.
Thanks for all the team has done. STO is improving every week and I can't wait to see what ground changes are made in season 4.
I agree that the majority of hand-held weapons in STO suffer from WOW influence and need to be scaled down. I find it amazing that Starfleet can design a weapon so huge that it dwarfs a Ferengi yet it is so light that my 5 foot 1 inch tall science officer can sprint with it in hand.
Well, i dont know if weapons scale witth player size, guess not. Weapons look tiny on very large toons and big on small toons. My toon is 1.8 m tall and the weapons look ok, they could be slightly smaller, though.
I dislike the holographic design on phaser weapons also. The Mk 1 standard hand phaser looks iconic, the one that comes with new toons or Boffs, those should just scale up with rank.
I actually like the antiproton weapon design (max graphics setting).
We need weapon customization. That is, the ability to take our weapons to Memory Alpha or Q'onos, and after paying or doing a crafting procedure, be able to select the model we want that weapon to use.
So for instance, if you want to stick to canon weaponry, you could, even at VA1. I'd also like to see the ability to select weapon models that are currently NPC only, as they still fit the same damage types of weapons we use... they just look different (and often, imo, better).
Of course my *ideal* solution would be to let us change our weapons in the same fashion as our ships... being able to select the stock, grip, barrel and body, and maybe a scope for appropriate types. <.<