Lt. Commander
# 11
01-02-2011, 03:25 PM
<------- Klingon (Nausicaan) Main here
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
My highest level character currently is "The Reagent"... an Alien Science Lt. General in a Karfi Carrier. I used to consider that my main character for about 4 months. Now I am working on my Tac/Raptor Klingon and my Engie/Cruiser simultaniously... so I guess THEY are my mains right now.

Honestly out of 6 characters, I only have 2 feds, both at Rear Admiral upper... but Klingons are my home base. Just as you, I ALWAYS love playing the 'bad guys' more. In KotOR 1 & 2, I was always the supremely evil jedi, in Fable 1 & 2, I ruled over Albion with a spiky clenched fist... I just can't resist taking the darker path to riches and glory. Even my FEDS wear all black, and have delightfully evil ships with names like "Hell Fire" and "Ragnarok". LOL

So yes, a Klingon main is VERY easily viable. You just have to get used to repetition at certain levels in your development. Once the Breen asteriod rubble bug gets fixed, it will be a lot easier. Oh, and when you get the sweet mission where you go fight the Klingon version of SATAN, then you will REALLY be happy. My favorite mission in the entire game... even better than the Q mission on the fed side!
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Season 4 and 5 are bound to have some great updates to pvp (maps, interface, etc) and hopefully some more Klink PvE. Combined with the weeklies, the Klingons are ripe to be a main character. ESPECIALLY if your into pvp. I'd also suggest them for the "casual player" who can't spend hours on the game. Log on to your klingon, join some pvp queues, and grind through some sorties for an hour, then log off.

I guess you could do the same thing as a fed character, but its not the same in pvp. Plus, a casual player is going to want to log on, shoot in space for a half hour, and log off. Much easier on a klingon who can just pop over to the Kahless expanse.

With a fed character, you'd have to hunt down an enemy signal contact or do a PvE mission. And when you only have a half hour to play, who wants to be chasing enemy ships?
(The funny thing is whenever you want an enemy signal contact, their never there...but when you DONT want one, there's always one right up your aft impulse manifold. lol)

Anyway, I suggest playing both and depending on how much time you have and your playstyle, make the decision for yourself.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-03-2011, 05:45 AM
My gameplay is all KDF, so yes its possible to have a Klingon main in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Since I got serious about lvling a kling......its all i want to play.......Klingons rock, and with mission replay you can easily plan out your grind so its not so monotanous. I was averaging 1.5 lvls a day with the plan i created.

Quite fun actually.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
<- kdf main. I will never fly a spaceduck.

Doesn't make sence not to choose a warrior race in a time of war.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I main a Klink nowadays, but only because I've reached the Klink's version of VA1 and now only play the game for PvP. Getting there was a real grind.

The PvE content is lacking (oh if only we had the DSE missions rather then the Kahless expanse type missions) and the xp rewarded is pitiful when compared to the amount of effort required.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alendiak
I main a Klink nowadays, but only because I've reached the Klink's version of VA1 and now only play the game for PvP. Getting there was a real grind.

The PvE content is lacking (oh if only we had the DSE missions rather then the Kahless expanse type missions) and the xp rewarded is pitiful when compared to the amount of effort required.
Those 'defeat the ____' missions are AWESOME!!! The first time you do it, you get WAY more exp than any single mission at that level gives you. The stupid 'defeat the cardassian' mission gives you like 900 exp for just blowing up like 10 ships once through! Also, if you STAY in the instance until it 'refreshes'... you litterally have to destroy like 2 more ships to complete the first of 3. I run through ALL those missions at least once. It gives you such a huge boost to your exp. Well worth the 10 minutes it takes to fly there and do the mission.

Although, now that we have 2 sets of dalies for the deferi/devidian missions... and mission replay. You can litterally do both sets of dalies in about an hour and 1/2, and then replay the better high yield exp deferi/devidian missions in about another hour and 1/2. So in 3 hours, you can grind out about 4ish or more levels. Thats not bad at all!

In fact, my Lt.Cmdr raptor captain went from LtCmdr 2, to LtCmdr 6 in about 2 hours after doing cold comfort, and all the dalies. So logically, you could grind out a single rank increase in about 5-6 hours. If you have a day off, or just no life you could conceiveably gain Lt.Gen in about a week if you play about 5 hours every day! LOL Vacation, here I come!
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofeth
So, STO was 7 bucks on Steam, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try despite the bad reviews. Log in for the first time, "Wow, this is really fun, how did it get such a bad rep. Oh great Lt 6, klingons?! I love klingons, lemme give this a try. Oh, no wonder it has such a bad rep."

Is my dismay misplaced here? From the reading I've done on this forum as well as others, its very obvious there is a lack of klingon pve content, ok great. Is that going to be fixed? I usually play the 'bad guys' or protagonists in MMOs that I play, and I've always been a big fan of klingons in the star trek universe so it was a natural path for me, but upon making the character and getting to lt 9, I've suddenly run out of missions to do, unless I just want to grind out Pi Canis a bunch of times, which I don't mind if there was some sort of carrot. Do people actually play Klingon's as their 'main character'?

My very limited view point thus far is that I hardly ever see another KDF player, and when I do, they aren't very high ranked? Is this mainly an 'alt' faction? If I were to go about attempting to play this faction as my main playstyle, is that even viable, or am I suddenly going to run out of stuff to do aside from pvp once I hit a certain level?
I started my first real Kling at the beginning of Season 2 and leveled it to Lt. Gen. by the end of October. Since my fleet disbanded mid November I have played nothing but Kling. I think they are very viable to main as I still have fun with my Lt. Gen. As of Season 3 it has gotten much better. Yes you still have to grind explores between real PvE missions, especially if you can't find any PvP. Yes those "Defeat the _____" missions, Treagersama mentioned offer a lot of experience up front but just like explore missions the payout reduces once you turn the first in. One could say at this point it is a little better for Klings at endgame as we now get what the Feds have plus the sack Pi Cannis missions that Gozer made for us. (But if I said anything about that bunch of the Feds would go all Q_Q and make demands for satisfaction.)

It's your game boss just be assured it is allot better than it was and it should keep getting better as the game's producer, DStahl, professes to play a Kling.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Main is a very special "term". I play my VAs more then my BG, but thats because have a bigger Fed fleet and find more people there to play.

Leveling is more difficult for Klingons, but the endcontent is basicly the same; with the new raids Klingons might even have a little more now. So yes, a Klingon works as a main.

And honestly, leveling works that fast in STO that you can, on the long term, easy level up multible characters.