Lt. Commander
For a long time now, I've been aware that my Antiproton Dual Pistols don't really fit in the hands of my KDF Captain.

Then I took my science team down to a planet and noticed that Xiyal's gun was absurdly large in her hand.
She's a small girl, so it looked massive.

Gun size comparisions

Contrast her with Sarah (the Orion) standing nearby.

It was hard to get Molly (my KDF Orion) to stand still near my KDF Captain, but if you look hard, you can see how his gun doesn't really fit in his hand either.

Should they add a function to accomodate weapon scaling for larger or smaller characters?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Heck, could make it automatic, so that not every single weapon is made for giants, but instead fits the hand of the wielder.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes that's right I'd like a tiny AK47 and a tiny Dan Wesson .45 Valor 45 acp with ceramic VC grips.

WHAT!!!!! WTH do you mean you don't make a tiny model of those? You only make firearms in a standard size? I'm not to call you any more??? 'click' Hello???? Hello????...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
That would be an ok response if the weapons in game had a sensible standard size, but they don't.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
There's really only one solution to this.

Travel back in time to 1830, use the transporter to abduct and clone Henry Deringer and place his original back where he was (this should hopefully keep temporal investigations happy) Travel back through time and put him in charge of the galaxies hand-held weapons programs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't mind the firearms scaling... I recently created a bunch of short, insectoid-like crew and I'm having to give them all pistols cause rifles like absurd with them. Even the pistols are a little large...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I vote no scaling for any hand weapon. weather a person is 3 foot 5 inches or 7 feet tall they would all use the same sized weapon. Thanks but no scaling. I would rather the developers work on something more than this silliness.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I vote no scaling for any hand weapon. weather a person is 3 foot 5 inches or 7 feet tall they would all use the same sized weapon. Thanks but no scaling. I would rather the developers work on something more than this silliness.
So you think that the Federation, featuring more than 100 planets with more species than I care to imagine, coming in all shapes and sizes, would NOT provide options to ensure their officers were equipped with the best tools for the job? Someone 4' handling a weapon made for an average-sized Human is going to struggle.

Somehow I don't see Starfleet saying "Deal with it short-arse".
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
if weapons could be made smaller so easily without losing power they would be that small already. Don't like big guns on little toons, wipe it make a bigger one. As a human a dwarf is not allowed into starfleet only in STO , if you are an alien then your homeworld should have the proper gear for your people, ooops no alien homeworld available. Cryptic has gone too far with charater customization, some toons really look hilarious. 3 foot tall, heads like hot air baloons, that totally bites me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd certainly like to see weapon scaling. I've been asking it for similar reasons over in CO - a lot of the weapons in both games are ENORMOUS. (I also posted in another thread about how I'd like to see weapon customization, so we could choose which weapon styles to wield. I know I'd much rather use... well just about anything but the Mk X+ phaser rifles.)

*edit*

For the record, my character is 5'1" tall. That's hardly a dwarf, though she is short, and yet her weapon is as long as she is tall. That's ridiculous. Keeping in mind this isn't just the sniper rifles, where some excuses might apply (the biggest being "you aren't supposed to run around with it") - this is for all the primary combat rifles.

For a comparison to the real world: An M16 is about 3'3" long. Mk X phaser rifles are about 5' long. Five. Feet. That's blackpowder musket type length - no half-sane weapon designer is going to build a weapon that will likely see use in confined spaces like ship corridors that's 5 foot long.

It's not just stupid looking, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. In the real world, we very often handicap firepower a little bit explicitly in order to keep the weapon a manageable size. Example: M4 Carbine, which is 2' 9" long, substantially shorter than the M16 and with slightly less stopping power and range. It's also eventually going to replace the M16 as the primary weapon for most US Army units.

When it comes to weapons, power is not the only concern, maneuverability, ease of supply, maintenance, profile, and about a dozen other things are also important. So unless Starfleet is run by Tim Taylor, where power is everything - it's almost inconceivable that such a monstrously oversized gun ever became standard issue to begin with. It'd be hard enough to use in an open field fight; let alone in the corridors of a Borg ship.

Now obviously this is just a videogame based on a fictional universe - so some 'out there' stuff is to be expected. It's why for instance I don't really get too upset by the odd flashy bits and hooks and the like on say... Polaron weapons, even if they are a terrible idea in a real combat weapon. However the size issue is both unrealistic and just plain bad looking. To argue that there's any sort of in-universe rationale for this kind of size is just... well frankly I think it shows that you're just throwing out logic in favor of bashing people who make characters you don't like.