Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Facebook wants to steal our souls! Panic! Fear!

While you're thinking about facebook though... -points to sig-
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I mostly use Facebook to keep in touch with former employers and people I served with. It's the easier way to verify where someone is and if I can use them as a reference.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
eh not that much info on my facebook for them to take, heck the main reason i joined it in the first place was to make sure my niece didn't put too much info in there.

Now i'm even considering using it as one of various avenues to advertise my business so i'll probably be part of the evil corporate system that uses that info.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks to credit cards I figure every major (and several minor) companies already know more about me than I know about myself.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker1960
Thanks to credit cards I figure every major (and several minor) companies already know more about me than I know about myself.
I did what in 1985????? O_o
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the post Summit. I have one major concern about Facebook that I'd like to bring up to see if I am the only one this is happening to. My Facebook account is automatically inviting people to be my friend. I keep getting replies saying they accept my friendship requests. This leads me to believe three possibilities are happening:

1) Facebook is glitchy and inviting people incorrectly
2) Somebody has hacked my account
3) That automatic invites are intentionally part of the Facebook experience

In any event it is annoying, and makes me look like a spaz when I drop the people that are being unintentionally invited.

Can anyone help out here?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Change your password. Wherever else you use that password, change it there also. Some people like to hack into accounts and just cause trouble, not doing any real damage. It's fun for them.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Change your password. Wherever else you use that password, change it there also. Some people like to hack into accounts and just cause trouble, not doing any real damage. It's fun for them.
Cyberjerks...
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
Thanks for the post Summit. I have one major concern about Facebook that I'd like to bring up to see if I am the only one this is happening to. My Facebook account is automatically inviting people to be my friend. I keep getting replies saying they accept my friendship requests. This leads me to believe three possibilities are happening:

1) Facebook is glitchy and inviting people incorrectly
2) Somebody has hacked my account
3) That automatic invites are intentionally part of the Facebook experience

In any event it is annoying, and makes me look like a spaz when I drop the people that are being unintentionally invited.

Can anyone help out here?
Probably not #1. Probably not #2. Definitely not #3. More likely, you allowed some app you though was harmless access to your account, and it's now inviting people on your behalf. So it's sort of a #2, except no hacking involved, just the typical sneaky facebook app doing things it never said it would, and you believed it enough to allow it access. My best guess.

Also, regarding the OP, this is true, but it's been this way for at least a couple of months now. Late warning is better than none, I suppose.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Social sites selling info to information mining companies? NO! Who would have thought?