Lt. Commander
# 21
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Futhermore, we already know that a faster release schdule on these episodes would result in shorter, less polished missions, and as I recall, we were virtually unanimous in voting that spending time between series to create better episodes was the best plan, as long as the gap isn't TOO big.
I agree with the overall message of your post. That said, I think the question is what exactly is too long of a gap? I'm sure every player has their own individual opinion on that, so you cant really say "we" in your post.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
That makes me sad. I mean, we already know the plan. So the only new information you just told us is that they may be delayed. We seriously need to stop calling these things "weekly" because its not even funny anymore. I know its the whole "tv show" deal and there are breaks between seasons, but in reality this is a game people are paying every month to play, not a TV show they just wait for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
All he did was to refuse to rule out a delay. Developers NEVER rule out a delay because if they did, they would be lying to your face, since unexpected issues crop up all of the time in software development and deployment.

Stormshade isn't a liar, so he didn't lie to you and promise there wouldn't be a delay.

He DID however, specifically tell you that they are still planning on releasing it this month, as scheduled.
Pretty much this. We work in technology. So, it's best to plan for every occurrence. This includes the possibility that delays can and will happen.

What could cause such a delay?
  • The person designing the missions could contract Klingon Targ flu and be out for a week. Leaving someone else to pick up and carry the mission forward.
  • An unexpected bug may be introduced at the last moment, which requires us to push the release back a touch to fix it, otherwise, it may go live, and you would not be happy with the state it's in.
  • Skynet could come online. We do have contingencies in effect just in case, but, it means a slight delay in our release windows.
  • Much as we try to keep Q out of the server rooms, sometimes he does get in there and cause some mischief. It's hard to protect sensitive data and equipment from an Omniscient Omnipotent being.

So, when I say that delay's might happen, it's not because we';re planning on delaying something. It's because in the world of technology, things go wrong sometimes.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I agree with the overall message of your post. That said, I think the question is what exactly is too long of a gap? I'm sure every player has their own individual opinion on that, so you cant really say "we" in your post.
Time will tell. On one hand, it is important to acknowledge that this break is/was [hopefully] longer [than normal] due to the holiday break.

The rate of [offical/dev created] content generated will really never be enough either. So a bit of tolerance from the user is prolly appreciated, but that's not an excuse to 'let' it slow down.

The biggest thing that really ended up killing my interest to play CoH/CoV was the lack of new content that was generally accessible. Going Rogue felt too little [especially in the case of non-praetorians] too late. And a big worry I have going forward is that UGC will be used an excuse/reason to not even try to met the new [offical] content demand. Which is really a completely different rant than this topic .

It's also really hard to judge when the wait becomes too much. I'd like to say a month [average] sounds 'reasonable' to me, but if it came to that, would I still really be happy?
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
[*]Skynet could come online.
Pfft, you worry too much. Judgement Day was years ago, so either it will never happen, or it already has. Either way, why worry?
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Pretty much this. We work in technology. So, it's best to plan for every occurrence. This includes the possibility that delays can and will happen.

What could cause such a delay?
  • The person designing the missions could contract Klingon Targ flu and be out for a week. Leaving someone else to pick up and carry the mission forward.
  • An unexpected bug may be introduced at the last moment, which requires us to push the release back a touch to fix it, otherwise, it may go live, and you would not be happy with the state it's in.
  • Skynet could come online. We do have contingencies in effect just in case, but, it means a slight delay in our release windows.
  • Much as we try to keep Q out of the server rooms, sometimes he does get in there and cause some mischief. It's hard to protect sensitive data and equipment from an Omniscient Omnipotent being.

So, when I say that delay's might happen, it's not because we';re planning on delaying something. It's because in the world of technology, things go wrong sometimes.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Just out of curiousity, I was under the impression that you guys designed these series with some in advance. So if something "came up" like you mentioned, do you mean with one of the future episodes(as in, not the 1st in the series), or are you actually still working on the very 1st?
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, I was under the impression that you guys designed these series with some in advance. So if something "came up" like you mentioned, do you mean with one of the future episodes(as in, not the 1st in the series), or are you actually still working on the very 1st?
They might be waiting for approval on the mission from CBS - unless you believe that creating a ship model in softimage really takes CapnLogan 2-3 months.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Without specific knowledge of Cryptic's development process, it could be either. While I'm sure that someone's scripted the arc and individuals episodes, that's only part of the battle. After that the art department has to come up with the art, sound has to be created/edited, the programmers have to code the episodes, put it all together and then test. Rinse, lather repeat until everything's ready to ship.

Someone asking for a minor tweak - have the NPC go left instead of right - shouldn't cause anything to break, but as anyone who's ever developed software knows that THAT just isn't the case. Delays can get introduced almost anywhere along the line.

I'd rather Cryptic take the time to make sure it's right rather than rush it out the door.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm fine with delays, but it would be nice if the devs updated the calendar when there is a schedule that is being meet. For weeks, "What lies beneath" was the only update on there, weeks after new episodes came out. That was just lazy.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb531 View Post
Without specific knowledge of Cryptic's development process, it could be either. While I'm sure that someone's scripted the arc and individuals episodes, that's only part of the battle. After that the art department has to come up with the art, sound has to be created/edited, the programmers have to code the episodes, put it all together and then test. Rinse, lather repeat until everything's ready to ship.

Someone asking for a minor tweak - have the NPC go left instead of right - shouldn't cause anything to break, but as anyone who's ever developed software knows that THAT just isn't the case. Delays can get introduced almost anywhere along the line.

I'd rather Cryptic take the time to make sure it's right rather than rush it out the door.
This here seems accurate. I believe it was stated that they had episodes planned and/or written out, but that does not necessarily mean that they were produced and ready to run.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Not to steal stormshade's thunder... but now that I'm back among the living I can shed some light on what's going on.

While I don't have specific dates to share, I can show you what I have on my January Calendar:
  • Decision whether to turn Foundry on Holodeck or wait till next Foundry Update
  • Feature Episode Series 3 Starts this month! (featuring the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _)
  • All Good Things Uniforms
  • Vulcan Player Ship
  • Prep for 1 year Anniversay on Feb 2
  • Prep for 400 day vet rewards Feb 19

We've also started work on Season 4 features as well as a few new surprises which I'll get to once I finally get to the Engineering Report.

Btw... Star Trek is doing great! Welcome to all the new players!