Lt. Commander
# 11
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
TO be honest the name is to attract attention, as a Ferengi you should appreciate drawing attention to things(ideas) you want to sell And to potentially stimulate discourse.
If thats the case, you might want to take the person's name out of your OP. Because as it is, your title says someone stole your idea, and then you name a person in your first paragraph. Thats not a very good thing to do, even if you are just looking for attention.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
Better yet, actually PUT IT IN the holodeck! That is really what I wish the devs would do. Just make a holodeck on our ship and let us play the foundry that way. Problem solved.

As it was pointed out in another thread, Klingons have the most to benefit from this and if it's in the Holodeck, do they still get full XP and loot?
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Imitation is the Best Compliment I always said... at least you are not on your own out on a limb somewhere... at the least... Misery loves Company
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Guess who?! lol! Don't worry I'm not here to stir up trouble. Quite the opposite actually, I would like to thanks Castmodean for at least playing my mission and offering some great feedback and comments about it. Second another thanks to Castmodean for the free publicity lol! But on a serious note, I apologize if my story line conflicted with yours, I guess we both had similar great ideas! The great thing about The Foundry is that there is that there is that freedom for storylines to converge or diverge, or completely blow each other out of the water. If the devs came on here and told us that we had to play by "these" set rules, and "this" storyline, the letters F, U, and N would exist in the Foundry. I would love to try your mission and see where our ideas diverge, yours might even be better than mine. Who knows, maybe together we could then develop an even better Foundry mission by putting some of them together, do a co-op foundry mission lol!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDawgNX View Post
Guess who?! lol! Don't worry I'm not here to stir up trouble. Quite the opposite actually, I would like to thanks Castmodean for at least playing my mission and offering some great feedback and comments about it. Second another thanks to Castmodean for the free publicity lol! But on a serious note, I apologize if my story line conflicted with yours, I guess we both had similar great ideas! The great thing about The Foundry is that there is that there is that freedom for storylines to converge or diverge, or completely blow each other out of the water. If the devs came on here and told us that we had to play by "these" set rules, and "this" storyline, the letters F, U, and N would exist in the Foundry. I would love to try your mission and see where our ideas diverge, yours might even be better than mine. Who knows, maybe together we could then develop an even better Foundry mission by putting some of them together, do a co-op foundry mission lol!
*chuckle* and I was honestly not trying to point fingers and indite you either. I've spent most of the evening torn on whether to remove my direct use of your mission as my example, but at the same time I wanted to draw attention to it so that others might go and give it a whirl. Your mission just happened to be the first one that I have come across so far that stumbled into a realm I was looking to explore is all, so you got to be my test case. I just thought that perhaps it might be worth putting forth a discussion over what it means to create content and should we consider ground rules for what we create and the like. So far it looks like the consensus is let it be, though admittedly the sampling is limited to a group that are some of the more vocal in the forums and I was hoping to hear from more people overall.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm waiting for the group hug and some commiserating to commence any second now...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
It is going to happen.....alot.

With 100 writers all writing different stuff without getting together to decide what is what....it is
bound to happen.

Don't worry about it

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about stuff like that at all. After all, it always breaks my sense of immersion when people can run the same STF's night after night anyway. I mean, seriously, doesn't Becca ever learn?

Seriously, if two (or more) authors wish to work together and cooperate on creating unified stories that's great, but I wouldn't worry about this.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
It's pretty much just like the books. When an author gets brought on to write a new novel, they can certainly try to read all the other novels currently available to make sure they don't step on any toes, but since there's hundreds of books out there, that's going to be pretty much impossible. So they just stick to the core canon stuff and do their best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
My approach to this is to try and make my missions fit into existing game canon - that's the one thing that is universally consistent for everyone. Rather than make up stuff that might contradict with something else, I make it fit with what we've got.
This. Just make it fit in the STO lore, and do what you can to make it line up with other player-made missions. But it'd be an insurmountable task to try and make ALL the player-made missions fully consistent with one another (especially since half the authors don't even post here anyway ).
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Better yet, actually PUT IT IN the holodeck! That is really what I wish the devs would do. Just make a holodeck on our ship and let us play the foundry that way. Problem solved.
I played a mission today that had a side-adventure in a holodeck. It was amazingly done.. oh shoot what was it called... shadows of forever or something like that. I should really start taking the names down.