Lt. Commander
Thanks again to Napoleon Blownapart for teaching us this trick. Here is how to do it:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...space-station/
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Inspiring, but tricky...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Awesome job... you nailed it on the head... only other thing is that you can make the station a friendly as well and have an enemy attacking the station so that you have something to save in a rescue mission.

Much thanks Kirkfat...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Awesome job... you nailed it on the head... only other thing is that you can make the station a friendly as well and have an enemy attacking the station so that you have something to save in a rescue mission.

Much thanks Kirkfat...
Thank you! Please keep bringing us tips like this.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2011, 10:23 PM
let me know what the difficulties are and I'll give it some brain power...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
let me know what the difficulties are and I'll give it some brain power...
I've been brainstorming a way to disable a borg cube and beam over to it. Your trick was the inspiration for it. I put spheres (npc group) inside an asteroid, and then put the asteroid inside a cube (detail). It works, as far as the cube firing on me, then me being able to kill the ships inside it to disable it, but it all looks like crap, because all the spheres fire from the same spot inside the cube. If only there was a square shaped asteroid just a bit smaller than a cube, then it could work.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I just made my own version of this, with an asteroid and a Romula Station in it. I placed a Romulan Battleship inside the asteroid and under the station and then a marker around the whole asteroid. The mission begins with two objectives, to approach the station (marker) and to disable its defenses (defeat battleship). Once the player breaches the marker, I spawn a fighter wing behind the player and add a new objective (defeat fighters). It all seems quite convincing!

Great tip, NB and awesome tutorial, KF!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
So this video can be summed up as: place a ship inside an asteroid and play around with it until its right. Ok, well at least I learned a new trick
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So this video can be summed up as: place a ship inside an asteroid and play around with it until its right.
In essence, yes. I also recommend flying your ship around the asteroid and using the /loc command to pick the best location where you should place the enemy NPC. It gives a good approximation at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Ok, well at least I learned a new trick
That will be 50 GPL's deposited into KF's account in the StarbaseUGC bank.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm glad some people can make something of this small trick... If we can't get what we want we'll find a way to cheat our way through it. I prefer a "can do" attitude instead of societies "failure" model for social evolution.

It's up to us to determine the future of STO and I can't think of a better group of concerned authors than our present group to combine forces and get the hard work done. If that means finding a way around what the dev's either cannot or will not provide in the way of functional tools, or don't have ready yet... at least we have exercised our brain to find innovative solutions to our current problems.